[OT] spelling contest

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...
jimcbrown said...

It's possible that some dialects of english prefer a "yore" sounding "your", while others prefer a "you're" sounding "your" - but either pronounciation is correct.

Trying to state that one pronounciation is better than the other smacks of snob appeal - it feels to me like one is saying "my dialect is superior to your dialect."

Pronunciation is one thing. It becomes bad spelling when written.

Agreed, but that turns into the argument below.

mattlewis said...

In speech, it's usually not a problem. When reading it, however, I usually have to go back and reread the sentence, so for me at least, this sort of misspelling does not lead to effortless understanding.

You really need to go back and reread a sentence if someone uses "your" in the context and with the meaning of "you are" ? Typically I will read it and often fail realise that the word was misspelled (or the wrong word used), unless I'm reading it very slowly in an attempt to proof-read it.

mattlewis said...

It seems like a loosing* battle, though, and I get tired of tilting at windmills.

Matt

* Ha!

Agreed. My point was simply that deriving meaning and understanding were different from having bad spelling and/or bad pronounciation (although good spelling and correct pronounciation help, obviously), and therefore this sort of thing should only be reserved for cases when understanding is hindered.

Something like:

euKat said...

<euKat> If the position of the Global Elite were only relatively inaccessible to movement, a one-world Government and one-unit monatary system, under permanent non-elected hereditary oligarchists may remedy and, at the same time, eliminate a stipulation to place the 10 NWO government-regions into their various categories.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu