1. Phix first try

Hi,

After four or five years, I got interested again on trying the Euphoria way, in the Phix flavour, as Euphoria itself seems stagnant.

Last time, Phix was seg faulting in Linux and it stopped me from building some scripts.

Now, I tried again, this time on Windows as it seems to be the main operating system for Phix.

After installation, to try to run 'pw edita' as suggested at http://phix.x10.mx/tutorial.php, I had to cd to demos\edita and then there's an error: 'error creating \demo\edita\edita.edb'

C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\edita\src\eaedb.e:1228 in procedure initEditaEdb() 
attempt to divide by 0 
    tlist = <novalue> 
    exh = <novalue> 
    errCode = -1 
    Fkey = <novalue> 
    i = <novalue> 
    j = <novalue> 
... called from C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\edita\src\eaedb.e:1297 
... called from C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\edita\edita.exw:994 

Global & Local Variables 
Press Enter... 

Went for the other example 'pw pgui'. So, cd ..\ cd pGUI pw pGUI

Another error is generated.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\edita\src\eaedb.e:1228 in procedure initEditaEdb() 
attempt to divide by 0 
    tlist = <novalue> 
    exh = <novalue> 
    errCode = -1 
    Fkey = <novalue> 
    i = <novalue> 
    j = <novalue> 
... called from C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\edita\src\eaedb.e:1297 
... called from C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\edita\edita.exw:994 

Global & Local Variables 
Press Enter... 

Another unwelcome reception...

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Phix first try

My commiserations. I don't represent Phix, but i looked at the install page again, and there are three topics i find the discussion of missing, topics which have severely haunted OE in the past: file/directory permissions , paths , and include path statements and PATH environment vars. I expect Pete has prolly handled these in some way, but maybe a Gotcha snuck in between version numbers?

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Phix first try

lib9 said...

Another unwelcome reception...

Sorry about that, my first reaction would be to right click on C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix or C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\edita and uncheck read-only, either should resolve the issue, however I just checked my own system and only C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\edita\edita.edb itself was thus writeable, which you may struggle to match if it could not create that file in the first place.

Rather than actually fix that, I plan to work on a replacement that stores things in %APPDATA% or something like that, but that may take a while.

PS: Edita is a bit long in the tooth, 32-bit Windows only, predates Windows getting the huff with writing to Program Files, and deserves said replacement.
PPS: That Linux segfault took me an embarassingly long time (was it nine months, was it a year and a half?) of chasing threads on SO and kernel forums
to figure out they'd changed the stack alignment, but should be fixed now (flw).

4. Re: Phix first try

katsmeow said...

missing, topics

Fair point, Phix does nothing whatsover about permissions, other than system[_exec] chmod or (I had to google this) attrib/cacls.
I don't know what is missing from ?paths? or include_paths, or did you mean something else?
OK, I admit I never got round to documenting setenv, as stated in getenv, but I am certainly not ever planning
on doing anything with the OS-dependent insane madness that is PATH, at least not without detailed assistance.

5. Re: Phix first try

I don't blame you, i almost never used %PATH% for anything, and have spent hours editing those include statements with paths, just so a program would run. If it's an include file, put it in the include file that is level with the application needing it, or the root of OE/Phix directory. I once looked over my OE install, and found like 15 /include/ directories, and the files in them may have the same name but be different source code!

Kat

6. Re: Phix first try

I've never tried any of the demos, and never tried using edita, so I cannot talk about these. Also, using Windows 10 with admin rights, no Phix experience with other systems.

I've installed Phix to C:\Phix, included it in the Path, created a subfolder for my own projects, and that's it — everything works fine for me. I moved from Euphoria to Phix a while ago, after I got into some troubles with Euphoria (forgot what they were), was immediately happy with Phix, and still am. (I'm stubbornly writing console programs, though — so, no experience with Phix's GUI capabilities, but as I understand it, they are mostly yet to come.)

Robert

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu