1. ...so this override business

Not the newish keyword but the fundamental principle which existed long before it.

While "more flexible" and other platitudes might appease some people, is there any real need for it? The docs quite rightly do indeed say "would probably break code", so why, exactly, is it there at all?

In the name of all that is holy who in their right mind would override a builtin to adjust some third party code without modifying the source and without the original author's knowledge and expect it to work in the next release, so please don't go there.

When I see s = append(s,q) I would prefer to know instinctively exactly what it does, rather than harbour a nagging doubt at the back of my mind that someone has squirreled away an override in some dim corner that I haven't read yet. Even a one-click check on every keyword would soon add up to quite the extra effort. Is some much-needed refactoring going to switch silently to the original builtin instead of the override, or vice versa, and introduce some subtle bug? Is every line of code I add to anything not known inside out and backwards, potentially introducing a new bug, even if that exact same code works flawlessly everywhere else?

I think I have now convinced myself that it should, nay must, be banned, and trigger new compilation error messages.

Pete

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: ...so this override business

Reply to Pete,

Your English is much better then mine, so I hope that I understood what you mean.

Just wanted to say that, from my personal point of view, override is another perfect recipe for bugs; and overriding built-in routines is a feature that should be removed from Euphoria.

Users can code their own routines, with a prefix such as shian_append(), and do whatever they wish without presenting a new programming language.

Overall: overriding built-in or standard routines causes more problems then solutions - this is why this feature should be removed.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: ...so this override business

I like the override qualifier and make good use of it. My euadvlib uses it to provide extended functionality to c_func(), c_proc(), and peek_string() (all of which are built-in functions).

Take, for instance, the following code...

constant NULL = 0 

object x = peek_string( NULL ) 
printf( 1, "x = '%s'\n", {x} ) 

This doesn't even produce a useful crash. It just stops the interpreter dead in its tracks.

I bound this code to an executable and then profiled it with Dependency Walker, which displayed the following trace log...

First chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "PEEK_STRING.EXE" at address 0x005A69AF.
Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "PEEK_STRING.EXE" at address 0x005A69AF.
Exited "PEEK_STRING.EXE" (process 0x1408) with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).

This is pretty much what we expected: a memory access violation. I believe the interpreter should catch this and crash accordingly, but it currently does not.

The override qualifier allows us to correct this behavior quite simply...

include std/error.e 

constant NULL = 0 

override function peek_string( atom ptr ) 
    if ptr = NULL then 
        crash( "attempt to peek_string() on NULL pointer" ) 
    end if 
    return eu:peek_string( ptr ) 
end function 

object x = peek_string( NULL ) 
printf( 1, "x = '%s'\n", {x} ) 

C:\Euphoria\include\std\error.e:52 in procedure crash() 
attempt to peek_string() on NULL pointer 

... called from C:\Documents\Euphoria\Projects\Testing\peek_string.ex:8 in function peek_string() 

... called from C:\Documents\Euphoria\Projects\Testing\peek_string.ex:13 

--> See ex.err 

Warning { override }: 
    <0222>:: C:\Documents\Euphoria\Projects\Testing\peek_string.ex:6 - built-in routine peek_string() overridden 

Alternatively, my preferred method of handling this specific issue is to return an empty string instead of crashing. This is the behavior in euadvlib.

-Greg

4. Re: ...so this override business

It occurs to me that writing a "safe" wrapper around a broken function a) risks reducing the pressure to get it fixed, and b) is simply not right, though I can accept that is down to a messy/scary/difficult/lengthy "build OpenEu" process.

Pete

5. Re: ...so this override business

@Pete
Greg has shown a legit override example, that is better than the builtin.
At least there is a display to show an override is in use, is that not sufficient?
Gregs alternate code may not be suitable for everyone though, so where does that leave us?
My 2c would be voting for allowed overrides but certainly the override warning should be kept.
IMHO the vast majority of non-internal Eu code is not commercial, not maintained by anyone but the single programmer.
Best practices don't need to be enforced, and would be a slight additional barrier to Euphoria take-up.
If that programmer wants to shoot himself in the foot, thats OK, its his problem.
If there is a post asking for help, and the override warning is evident, simply tell the requestor to use standards first?

Regards,
Alan

6. Re: ...so this override business

petelomax said...

I think I have now convinced myself that it should, nay must, be banned, and trigger new compilation error messages.

Without the 'override' option, std/safe.e would not be possible. The rationale for this concept is to provide a (temporary?) way to enhance existing routine functionality without modifying the existing function's source code. OOP does this all the time. Of course, it is not meant to be used lightly, but with extreme determination and responsibility. The safe.e module overrides the built-in memory access routines with a much 'safer' but slower versions.

The override option can also be used as a useful debugging tool.

One thing that became apparent during the discussions we had over the 'goto' statement; we realized that programmers are a varied bunch and have a huge range of skills and skill levels. In general, it is better to give people choice and tools rather than dictate the limitations. Regardless of how honorable our intentions might be, in steering coders into only using 'appropriate' constructs, in the long term, the programs that can be written are better if we don't artificially proscribe boundaries. Of course, some programs will contain mistakes because coders have used language features inappropriately, but that is such an insignificant cost when compared to the great things that are achieved elsewhere with the language.

The 'override' and 'goto' will be either used by people who don't know better or by people who know exactly what they are doing. It is the latter we would like to encourage. I would hope that we could avoid being totalitarian dictators and swing more towards beneficial anarchy (a.k.a democracy).

7. Re: ...so this override business

Testing on Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development Revision Date: 2014-01-16 02:53:44, Id: 5783:d41527402a7a

with warning 

print(1, 10 ) 
puts(1, '\n' ) 

atom print = 666 
? print 

The output is:

No need for "override" keyword, errors, or warnings.

Euphoria has been like this for a while.

_tom

8. Re: ...so this override business

_tom said...

I can confirm that was true in Eu 2.4, with the minor change of

atom print print = 666 

Pete

9. Re: ...so this override business

_tom said...

Testing on Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development Revision Date: 2014-01-16 02:53:44, Id: 5783:d41527402a7a

with warning 

print(1, 10 ) 
puts(1, '\n' ) 

atom print = 666 
? print 

The output is:

No need for "override" keyword, errors, or warnings.

_tom

I can confirm that although Euphoria allows me to behave like this - I have never allowed myself to use this option.

Maybe the fact that I used to code PLCs, leaded me to think about any single bit and method. In PLC, setting a single bit to TRUE may press hydraulic cylinder of 1000 tons, or worse then this.

Some other PLC programmers are more "brave" then me. But after seeing few accidents I don't take risks.

The only use I've made with override is with 'safe.e'. And I could live without it as well, by changing the code. I will never use it for anything else, and this kind of options makes Euphoria less safe actually.

I look at Euphoria as a programming language for the 'real life', not only for games and showoff. For real life applications, in industry for example, I don't need hidden traps. It's better to work harder, then to forget about some temporary override somewhere in the code.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu