1. Forum Categories

Forked from Re: error codes in returns

Critic said...

So why not discuss these things in this forum?

I wonder if it would be a good time to create categories and topics. Here's what I mean:

The Forum will (initially) have two categories: Users and Developers.

Within those Categories there will exist what we now call messages.

Or, for better enhancement, we could further split the Categories into Topics. For the Dev Forum, that could include Website, Euphoria Core, Standard Libs, etc.

This would make the dev list publicly viewable. I don't know if it would be a good thing to allow comments from non-devs on the dev list. Maybe a dev list topic can be forked into the User forum for discussion by users (or if a Dev wants to get feedback on it from the users).

This could also be overkill. grin But it might come in handy in the future.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Forum Categories

euphoria said...

This would make the dev list publicly viewable.

It already is. You can anonymously read the messages on the web.

euphoria said...

I don't know if it would be a good thing to allow comments from non-devs on the dev list.

This is already possible though. Nondevs are free to sign up on the dev list to read and reply and start new topics, etc.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Forum Categories

euphoric said...

Forked from Re: error codes in returns

Critic said...

So why not discuss these things in this forum?

I wonder if it would be a good time to create categories and topics. Here's what I mean:

I had missed that earlier question. It's a good one. That's more or less how things used to be. But the dev list has a lot of traffic (some days see more than 100 messages), and many (most?) who participate here aren't terribly interested in hearing all of it. That's why most projects have separate communication lines for users and developers.

It's true that there are many topics where the community should be involved. We do try to move the discussion back to this forum (or one of its predecessors) at different times when it seems appropriate. It's probable that there have been times when we should have that we didn't . I don't think that there are any ulterior or sinister reasons for not doing so (certainly not on my part, and I'm not aware of any from others).

I think the mailing list has served us pretty well, but there could certainly be benefits to extending this site to have a separate forum for the developers. It would make it easier for others to take a peek and see what's going on. We'd also get the slick integration benefits of this site that we wouldn't have with emails.

Matt

4. Re: Forum Categories

mattlewis said...

I think the mailing list has served us pretty well, but there could certainly be benefits to extending this site to have a separate forum for the developers. It would make it easier for others to take a peek and see what's going on. We'd also get the slick integration benefits of this site that we wouldn't have with emails.

Matt

Not to mention, all the "I sent this email two days ago, I don't know why it arrived just now." messages!

5. Re: Forum Categories

I always thought that there should be a developer category on the forum.

6. Re: Forum Categories

mattlewis said...

Plus, we could import all the mailing list discussions into the Dev Forum anyway and retain historical context.

AWESOME!

7. Re: Forum Categories

euphoric said...

Plus, we could import all the mailing list discussions into the Dev Forum anyway and retain historical context.

AWESOME!

euphoric, make it so!

Jeremy

8. Re: Forum Categories

jeremy said...

euphoric, make it so!

hahahaaa! No, Jeremy. I'll let you handle that one. I know you're bored. tongue

9. Re: Forum Categories

I was thinking about this earlier today... why not bring the dev list/forum over here? Have a users forum and a developers forum.

On the top tabs, I might rearrange things a bit better for consistency, ease of use, or whatever word it is I'm looking for:

[Home][Recent][User forum][Dev forum][Support][Download][Wiki][Manual]

Hmm. Gettin' kinda unwieldy up there. Regardless, I think that [Recent] should be right next to [Home].

10. Re: Forum Categories

euphoric said...
mattlewis said...

AWESOME!

If the Forum were to turn into high volume, it would denigrate the usefulness of the "recent" tab a bit. I'm using the "recent" tab as a psuedo-chron message list, ignoring the other entries for news and comments and the like. Increase those other entries dramatically and it becomes difficult to use. Better than the Thread list, but still.

Suggestion: before establishing "Categories" or any other major division of the messaging capabilities, enhance the Profile to allow users a filter option on the recent tab. Then I would be able to filter out everything other than Forum posts; which would turn it into a true chronological message list.

Does the ticket system allow for contingency tickets? I would enter this request as contingent on adding categories to the Forum.

Or should I just add it as a ticket because the idea is potentially useful independently?

mike

11. Re: Forum Categories

Mike777b said...

Suggestion: before establishing "Categories" or any other major division of the messaging capabilities, enhance the Profile to allow users a filter option on the recent tab. Then I would be able to filter out everything other than Forum posts; which would turn it into a true chronological message list.

<snip>

Or should I just add it as a ticket because the idea is potentially useful independently?

Maybe add a comment to ticket:29?

Jeremy

12. Re: Forum Categories

Oh, my idea for categories would not be just a division between two forums, it would be categories that everyone can use. For instance, a category for Web Development, wxWidgets, Euphoria Development, Learning Euphoria, etc... You could then view all categories, or if you want to read/ask questions about wxWidgets you can view/post in the wxWidgets category. Now, anyone wishing to could view all categories at the same time.

I suppose with the Developer category we'd want that off by default. I'd have to ponder the interface a bit.

Jeremy

13. Re: Forum Categories

Why not us Uboard (the now mostly defunct alternative Euphoria form) as a template

http://uboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?

You do need to register first

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu