Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ChrisB said...

Here we have a really good opportunity to clean up the archive, and see what gems there are, and to arrange a coherent and searchable database. The wget from Greggs site yielded 1965 files in 609 Mb, which really isn't that big. So there certainly need to be some centralised database to search and browse this stuff (and yes please Kat, let's incorporate the web sites you've archived too - if you have them in compressed formats then email them to openeuphoria@gmail.com)

Agreed. This is a much needed effort.

ChrisB said...

The first thing we need to decide, as a community, is where to put it. I might suggest the openeuphoria site as the obvious solution, either to host the files, or to act as a database front end to where they may be stored. However that requires some work to be put in and volunteers to do it, and whether the small population of web site owners / administrators would be willing to put the work.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I really feel like the entire website needs a refresh. We're running on ~10 year old code here.

I already have a lot of ideas for what's needed in an overhaul, and I'd be willing to lead the effort, but I can't do it all alone.

ChrisB said...

So I'll put my hat in the ring now - I'm willing to archive / maintain / caretaker the archive, either by myself or jointly with others. I will need access to wherever they may be put, and if different, access to the database location too, but I'm happy to do it. (infact there already now two databases - Pete's PCAN, and Greg's searchable archive, which could fairly easily be incorporated into the openeuphoria's main front page)

I've got 5 GB total space on my hosting for usingEuphoria.com. I'm chewing on about 650 MB after that scrape of The Archive. I could spare at least 2-3 GB. I have unlimited throughput per month.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu