Re: (rant) unicode-text

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
_tom said...

The statement "Windows 10 makes my netbook unusable" is a literal (non hyperbole) statement. It runs so slowly that I think it is broken. Bootup and shutdown takes 3.25 minutes. It is about 2 minutes before the file manager starts responding. It is very easy to get 100% cpu utilization; then the computer just hangs and gets hot. Windows just did an update which cost almost 20 minutes of downtime. Mint Linux has never treated me this poorly.

I hate Windows 10. I refuse to use it. It is a trojan horse and spyware, and many people were tricked into "upgrading" to it using literal malware tactics. I don't mind the new start menu, and a few other improvements, but i refuse to be tempted into using such an invasion of privacy. I recently built a Ryzen R7 1700 system, which is "unsupported hardware" for Windows 7. Microsoft Update literally self-destructed once it realized it was running on a modern CPU that is "supposed" to be running windows 10 only, so i had to uninstall a certain update. But Microsoft lies, because Windows 7 runs fine on Ryzen, even with an NVMe drive (which was quite a pain to get the drivers, because Microsoft really dooesn't want you to know that NVMe does infact work in Windows 7.) I really hate Microsoft, but I'm forced to keep using Windows for several reasons. At least Windows 7 works well enough for my needs.

_tom said...

I went to a small town and asked a Sears associate "where is the automotive department?" The reply was "where it has always been." It turns out that in this town the automotive department is an a separate building--everyone in town knows this. You can't compare operating systems based on how long it takes to learn* where a particular feature is hidden.

* (Maybe you can...)
In a (unix) terminal there is a dropdown menu that lets me set a traditional code page (such as Igor uses). In a console? Microsoft documention offers info on editing the registry; looks like there is API function that can also do this. Microsoft did not tell me how to do a one time code-page change to demo Russian characters. Windows is harder than it looks.

Eventually, I did find a Microsoft statement that utf is not supported in a console. Just surprised that Windows has made no progress in keeping up with standards.

I noticed that Japanese or Chinese characters in file names don't work in the Windows console, but they work fine in a linux console. As much as i dislike the non-intuitiveness of console commands, I have to say that for several reasons, command line is MUCH better in linux.

_tom said...

With Mint, a right-click gives me access to a terminal. There are multiple workspaces that make multi-tasking much easier. Linux is dramatically faster than Windows. After installing Mint you have a complete computer; after installing Windows you have to figure out how to get and install software. Lots of pragmatic reasons why Linux is easier than Windows.

I wish i could use linux on my main PC, but i need windows for a few things. Linux Mint is one of my favorite distros for a GUI workstation. Solus is pretty cool, too. I alwas have a hard time deciding which desktop environment to use, though. XFCE is my favorite lightweight environment, but others have more features and more modern style.

Even though i use Windows for my main workstation, i always like to have a Debian server running on my lan. Curretnly, i have a cheap Mini-ITX quad-core AMD APU with 4 sata ports, which has been a great low-power file/sql/http server.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu