Re: sort constants confusing

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
DerekParnell said...
_tom said...
suggested current
rising ascending, normal_order
falling descending, reverse_order

Can we standardize on rising and falling? These are the simplest English words I can suggest.

I hope not. I've been giving this a bit more thought and I'm starting to think that normal / reverse are actually good choices.

In any given language, there is a collating order for characters (graphemes) that is accepted as the 'normal' way to do it, and the most common variation to the normal sequence is to 'reverse' it.

OK.

We can standardize on NATURAL and REVERSE; the other choices will be there just there to help define "natural." We naturally write from left to right, hence small to large. But, we are accustomed to writing numbers themselves in their "natural" Arabic form!

• Output is in natural order which is "sorted from small to large (ascending or rising)."
  • The optional output is reverse order which is "sorted from large to small (descending or falling)."

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu