Re: Is there a good Windows or cross-platform Euphoria IDE?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
VirtualB said...

Hi Everyone,

First, I would like to say that I just learned that Judith Evans passed away. My condolences go out to her friends and family. She is one of the people I have really missed since leaving Eu, and I was hoping to be able to make contact with her again.

I've been away for quite some time, and I've recently wanted to get back into coding with Euphoria. However, I'm having a problem with the IDE. I'm not sure if this is an issue because it hasn't been updated in a while, or if I'm just that rusty. Is Judith's IDE still being used? I downloaded it and win32lib from links in the wiki, but I can't seem to get them to work. I also tried EuVide, but I'm having similar issues. Are there any IDE users who could point me in the right direction?

As a user of Euphoria 3 since it was paid for, and of Judith's (rip) IDE since then, I feel I need to point out one or six points:

• Win32Lib was produced to simplify the interface to Windows
  • The IDE was started as an IDE for Win32Lib, so the IDE is essentially a Windows application.
  • Judith worked on this tirelessly for years - 12-14 hours a day according to her husband.
  • Several features were added as IDE-generated controls rather than simply Windows API entries.
  • She worked on this till just before IDE 4 was released originally, but her slowly worsening dementia made it hard and harder for her to achieve the solid codebase she wanted. Hence the number of operational bugs in the later features.
  • If anyone else is really, truly, thinking of writing an IDE, especially along similar lines, they should be aware that it is a major, major undertaking. With no "done that, what's next" time; it would last forever. Especially if the base interpreter is changed on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

I use it frequently, but then I still use Eu3, and I do struggle with the odd little bugs in EuVIDE. But I find a way round them, so I use coloured buttons and tables regularly. For simple programs, it just works and works and works. I have a vast respect for what she achieved, and as others have said, I am greatly saddened at her passing. If it could be used as a basis for a multi-platform replacement, I would cheer. Sadly, I am a user not a developer. But I can see so many operational and visual differences between, primarily, Windows & Linux. that I can't see anyone or any group really taking it on as a hobby(!) project. There's been lots and lots of talk and little action, IMHO. That's not a criticism.

As far as the original query goes, I can't help with Eu4, but if Mr VirtualB (I'm a real B!) is using Eu3 I could maybe help...but then I guess I would get called a dinosaur! I'm not often on this forum, so an email would get a quicker response - andy hat kestreltelecom with a dot put in at the obvious place!

Andy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu