Re: Is Euphoria ever going to be newbie-friendly?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

I've had a little teaching experience - perhaps this could be a tiny scrap of help? First you need a 'guinea-pig' or two to tell you what phrases will be understood ... experts are not good on their own! Then:- - -

IMPORTANT STARTING POINT PERHAPS? Visiting the website can be off-putting! Make it less so by offering and 'advertising' ONE CONSPICUOUS "BEGINNER'S CORNER" OPTION, sheltering the newbie from the scary grown-up stuff! A basic 'version one' wouldn't be very elaborate? Couldn't it be grown gradually?

Since choice can confuse a newbie, Beginner's Corner might recommend just ONE download/install (at least, for Windows). This need not be the very latest? "Lesson one" would promise an interesting future, but start with only one or two 'adventures' or 'appetizers'. (For the more confident there'd be a caution plus a few links to other demo pages.) In my dreams there'd be a special Beginner's Corner forum for feedback and suggestions, which might help the Corner to develop. A list of common mistakes perhaps.

The first window exercise would just be a 'form' asking for window title, sizes (in fraction format?) and a FEW other options, menus perhaps ... Press 'Code' and see/run the result. (Yes, you've guessed it! I've been visiting the Rebol site!)

Some sites offer video instructions: these can be UNhelpful. At least I can stop and go back slowly over TEXT instructions.

Sorry I can't be more help! - newphil82

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu