Re: UI/IDE committee

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

I completely missed Tom's post from the other day. Probably because I had responded to Jean-Marc at the nearly same time. So here are my responses.

_tom said...

You can not please anyone with a multi-platform gui it seems.

I would agree that one cannot have great multi-platform GUI toolkit. You can have something that's good enough or something that is native to that platform. wxWidgets sure gets close but even then there are some things that are out of place because they are non-native implementations.

_tom said...

Is IUP simpler than wxWidgets? An opinion from the wxWidget maintainers would help.

IUP is a great deal simpler than wxWidgets. There is a decent comparison for this on the IUP page here: http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/en/toolkits.html

The primary difference is that IUP is simply a GUI toolkit, whereas wxWidgets is more like a development platform similar to Microsoft .NET. wxWidgets has additional libraries and classes for other functions like networking, document/view framework, console applications, etc. IUP is just a means to add a GUI to your application.

The number one thing I like about IUP over wxWidgets is that IUP is written in C and can be interfaced directly with Euphoria. Since wxWidgets is written in C++, we need the "shim" library that wxEuphoria provides.

_tom said...

Can "IUP for Euphoria" be wrapped to look more like EuIUP? (Note that EuIUP is no longer being maintained.)

I do not know if there is much value to be added with converting the entire API for IUP into EuIUP style. I think the existing API is already quite Euphoria-like and not all that different from Win32Lib or wxEuphoria. The only difference is that there's no central create() routine and instead there are separate routines to create each type of control separately. Almost everything else is handled through the IupGet/SetAttribute() functions.

_tom said...

My learning curve for IUP so far is steep. I have simple things working but not the fancy stuff. "Iup for Euphoria" is a valuable addition to Euphoria worthy of promotion even if it doesn't become the "official" toolkit.

After playing with IUP for a few months now, I can say that I do not think the learning curve for it is all that steep. I think that once you "get it" and start to think in terms of how IUP works, it becomes a snap to throw a quick GUI together without much effort. You can get a lot done just by consulting the documentation and sample files provided by the IUP project. This is why I have been insisting on keeping the API as-is: it makes the learning curve much easier for the user.

The main idea to keep in mind is that there isn't a lot of "fancy stuff" to get working. IUP is very, very simple. It doesn't even have a ListView control!

http://lists.luaforge.net/pipermail/iup-mail/2007-October/000070.html

Antonio Scuri scuri at tecgraf.puc-rio.br 
Thu Oct 4 11:59:28 GMT+3 2007 

Hi, 

We do not have ListView control yet. We are working on version 3.0 with 
several new and probably in 3.1 there will be a native ListView. 

But we have IupMatrix that can do what you need, except to show an image in 
the cell. To do that you have to use the DRAW_CB callback and draw the image 
using the CD library.  

Best Regards, 
Antonio Scuri 

> -----Original Message----- 
> From: Jeremy Cowgar [mailto:jeremy at cowgar.com]  
> Sent: quinta-feira, 4 de outubro de 2007 03:02 
> To: iup at tecgraf.puc-rio.br 
> Subject: ListView Control? 
>  
> Is there a list view control for Iup? I've played with it now  
> for a few hours and I think it's just what I am looking for,  
> except, I cannot find a ListView control. I see the ListBox  
> and the Grid controls, but what I am speaking of is something  
> like a multicolumn listbox. For instance, the list view on an  
> email client that shows the message date, title, from, status, etc... 
>  
> Thanks for any input! 
>  
> Jeremy 
> 

Version 3.17 came out last week and there's still no ListView control to speak of. But they did fix my tab-closing issue in GTK!

andi49 said...

To make it short, the UI/IDE committee was not able to make a decision?

Andreas

If I have to call it now, I will put it this way:

IUP is the supported GUI toolkit for Euphoria. It will not be included as part of Euphoria but it will be provided as a separate download in the same package formats (exe, deb, etc.). Install Euphoria. Install IUP. Get started making GUI applications right away. No building, no linking, no source control, no third-party dependencies. Demos and documentation will be provided in the download. Support is available via the forum.

OS X support will not be provided until we have someone with OS X expertise and hardware on the development team. Using IUP on OS X requires a separate installation of GTK for OS X.

This is all, of course, a work in progress. We have a lot of converted samples and a primary flagship application to demonstrate the usage of IUP in Euphoria. I need to work on the documentation as well. Not sure if we can automate that without relying too heavily on the source code. The include headers do not provide any documentation. It's all provided in the source code and then pulled out with Doxygen. I may take a similar approach to wxEuphoria but that will require rewriting my automated wrapper, but that probably needs to get done anyway.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu