Re: More Manual Typo/errors

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

Then these GUI editors should support an option like "Run via xterm - keep xterm alive after process ends" or a similar setting.

If you are fond of a particular editor that does not support this sort of setting, there are also workarounds you can use. E.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3512055/avoid-gnome-terminal-close-after-script-execution

SDPringle said...

Not all Linux distributions come with xterm. Mint comes with 'gnome-terminal' already installed but not xterm.

Generally, there should be a symbolic link called x-terminal-emulator that points to the installed binary, whether it's gnome-terminal, xterm, urxvt, konsole, or something else. Most editors that support this option should also enable you to configure which terminal emulator to use anyways.

The workaround link I provided is explicitly for gnome-terminal, not xterm, though it's generic enough to work with either.

SDPringle said...

The only good solution is if someone could make maybe_any_key behave as in Windows on Linux.

Please explain why asking the IDE to add a pause is not a good solution.

SDPringle said...

A switch could be added to the std/console.e to make this kind of thing work the way it should

ifdef NO_CONSOLE then 
    public function has_console() 
        return 0 
    end function 
elsedef 
    public function has_console() 
        -- stuff that is there now 
    end function 
end ifdef 

Then in the GUI settings you put:

gnome-terminal -command 'eui -D NO_CONSOLE $filename' 

I think if someone wants to go this route, it's better to make the change in maybe_any_key() only.

SDPringle said...

Arguably maybe it is better to default to asking for a key when you cannot detect one way or another.

I have no problems with this in principle.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu