Re: minimanual.pdf -- comments requested

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
xecronix said...

First, GREAT JOB! Anything that follows is an attempt to help, not criticize.

Critics are welcome and needed. This is already the third re-write of the minimanual.

xecronix said...
  • The mongoose logo is the wrong color.

Does the logo have to be brown?

The eyes have gone from brown to green; this corrects the problem that on the website the eyes look red and bloodshot on some monitors. (This was an old forum request.)

Next was an experiment in changing the banner for the oE website. The idea was that reducing the number of colors makes for a cleaner banner.

At one time orange and blue was suggested as official colors. The wordmark in the manual is now brown. It's time choose colors for oE4.1

The wordmark is also using a different font. The offical workmark is using a commercial font. I am using the closest open font I could find.

Graphic artists, please help out.

xecronix said...
  • The display example needs some more explanation as to why example 4 produces numbers and examples 1-3 produces text.

Good point. Needs elaboration.

xecronix said...
  • For the file IO section, st2 should have details as to what valid values are.

Not sure which section.

xecronix said...
  • I've never installed the packages for OpenEuphoria. I've only installed from source. So, does WEE/GTK come with OpenEuphoria? If not should the minimanual make a reference as to how to get them?

This minimanual assumes that Wee is bundled with oE. That means the euGTK engine is available on a Linux install.

Another assumption is that oE will be part of a special Linux package. Puppy Linux is GTK2 so Wee will not work. Porteus Linux does work with Wee. The odd thing about Porteus Linux is that the pdf reader does not read all of the graphics in my minimanual. I think a small download and quick burn to a USB drive will make for compelling demonstration.

xecronix said...
  • If this manual is for 4.1 should it make mention of memstructs?

It doesn't help that I don't understand memstructs. But, the idea was to go to 25-30 pages maximum.

Would memstructs "scare off" someone who is virtually new to programming and sees oE for the first time? Does this suggest an advanced minimanual targeted to advanced users?

xecronix said...
  • Should the minimanual link to the online manual for more detail on specif topics?

I'm not sure that the toolchain Creole|Wkhtmltopdf can be made to link between files.

I now mention the full Reference Manual in the first paragraph. The Library Sampler chapter also refers to the full Reference manual.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu