Re: EXACT meaning of 2 error messages

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

In Phix, I've written "test\terror.exw" (m$ windows only) to test errors and warnings. The intention was to write "Source" to a test file, run Phix on it, then test that an ex.err was produced and contained the stuff in "Expected". Of course "Run All" processes the entire list, stopping on the first mismatch. Mainly so that after I finish messing about with the innards I can check that I have not messed up any errors and warnings.

Here is a screenshot, nice and simple, nothing too fancy:

http://i.imgur.com/srDE2Jo.png

It strikes me that a newbie could do worse than run that program and simply cursor down the list as part of the learning process to gain an understanding and general overview of error messages.

Also, if you run the program and type "undefined" or "identifier" (without the quotes, and you don't need to have focus on the Filter field) then it limits the list to just two entries, so you can use it to find an example of some message you are getting, and hopefully simply because each example is pared right down to the bone it should be easier to see what the compiler (or runtime) is actually trying to say.

Pete

PS in case you haven't got what is going on, the compiler is saying it don't know what you mean by banana, or whether it should set it, clear it, print it, peel it, eat it, or run down the shops, buy one, and throw it out the screen at the monkey sitting in front of the keyboard blink

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu