Re: Is Euphoria ever going to be newbie-friendly?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
GreenEuphorian said...

...are newbies ever going to be the target audience...

I agree that making Euphoria conspicuously newbie friendly should be our goal. I'm thinking about the "newbie" part which also means I am not thinking about the more advanced level that you are on.

GreenEuphorian said...

As pointed out in other posts, the manual is too technical, too terse.

The manual is a monster to re-write but I am working on it. Ultimately a manual has to be "technical" and "terse"; you have to describe everything in a compact form. Learning to program from a manual is like learning a new human language by reading a dictionary.

Why not work with me to make a better manual? You could be the official editor|agitator.

GreenEuphorian said...

There are no schools or colleges teaching Euphoria, anywhere in the world,...

THEY have decided. Download Python in Education http://www.oreilly.com/programming/free/python-in-education.csp . Python was designed to make it easier for teachers to teach programming--instant sell to educational administrators. Python was adopted by Google which made it "official"--people use what they are told is trendy. The result was an avalanche--there is money in Python.

GreenEuphorian said...

...so all what a Euphoria learner can possibly hope for, in terms of tutorials and teaching resources,...

Slow by slow, I am working on an intro to Euphoria.

GreenEuphorian said...

...Most of the Euphoria users are old-timers...

Maybe you have to be an old-timer to finally learn that Euphoria is easier to program.

GreenEuphorian said...

...when a user wants to go beyond the basics, things are not so easy anymore...

An easy to learn language does not mean programming, itself, suddenly becomes easy.

As a reality check try to learn Python. Examine Python examples and algorithms and convert them to Euphoria--you should see that Euphoria has the advantage.

The answer you don't want to hear: (A raccoon has figured out how to take my humming bird feeder apart.)(They ran out of worms; I didn't go fishing.) We are small. We are busy. We are doing the best we can with limited resources.

The important thing is not to get frustrated. You will likely end up as a Euphoria developer.

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu