Re: Unified libraries to allow porting code to other oses

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jmduro said...

Here we face the root of the problem: Euphoria is used by hobbyist like me and by professional programmers like you.

For hobbyists, it must remain simple to use. For professional programmers, it must fit all situations.

You say that, but then there's this:

irv said...

I suspect you've never had to change a few dozen or a few hundred lines of code because the customer decided he needed one more button or another label. I have one, written years ago with bare Eu and win32lib, that's still in use. Try browsing thru 7500 lines of code like the following, looking for an error in placement, and explain how that's easier!

That's just one problem with fixed positions and sizes. Another comes when your client decides he can't read the labels or list items easily, and insists on a larger font size. The third comes when he changes to a bigger monitor, and your program can't resize itself to fit the new screen. The fourth involves changing languages. So far, all my clients have been English speakers, but I do understand that sometimes Spanish captions can be longer than the English eqivalent, and no longer fit in the space you allotted.

It seems to me that the professional programmer would be the one able to work through these issues, going thorugh 7500 lines of code and tweaking the few hundred or so that need to be tweaked, while the hobbyist would be the one asking for automatic resizing/repositioning (so they can save the time and work on other, more fun stuff).

jmduro said...

Bouh hou, I cry! smile Everytime I want to do something with GTK, it is more complicated than expected. I hate sizers!

Having worked with GTK before, it's easy enough to do things in the fixed position format. While I agree with irv that sizers are easier and more hobbist friendly, not all UI libraries support it (notably, w32lib does not). I thought this is what wxSimple/eugtkSimple/et al was suppose to deal with, btw.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu