Re: Unified libraries to allow porting code to other oses

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jmduro said...
_tom said...

The idea is to have a database format for the IDE that can be edited directly and uses a universal syntax (see Jean-Marc unified libraries, see Ryan Redy )

This seems to be close to Irv's way of programming with EuGtk. I'm getting old. I was never able to use Win32lib's createForm which uses the same principle or Glade.

Ha! I'll bet you're not as old as me - I've been retired since 2004.

A universal syntax is the first thing that is required if you're going to have a cross-platform language.

Normally, I detest object-oriented programming. Sometimes it is enforced to ludicrous extremes. However, for a GUI, an object-oriented approach is exactly what is needed, because it 'fits' what you're working with: interface objects.

Euphoria isn't object-oriented, of course, but that makes little difference, since we're obligated to write some kind of 'wrapper' to interface with whatever GUI we're using anyway. That wrapper can very easily implement a limited object-oriented syntax. EuGTK is basically an OOP language without a way to create "new" objects. It only has access to properties of objects that already exist in GTK.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu