Re: Unified libraries to allow porting code to other oses

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

It seems to me that Redy would be the logical base for a cross-platform Euphoria wrapper. The syntax is clear and "euphoric", without a bunch of unnecessary cruft. It runs in Windows, and I think I could adapt EuGTK to run Redy source code unchanged, using GTK3. The GtkEngine and GtkPrinter files would add less than 80k to the Redy download, if someone was interested in running on Linux or OS X.

I know Ryan's idea is to make this a 100% Euphoria-coded package, but I'm not convinced that is practical in the long run. GTK offers a lot of things that would be very difficult to emulate in Eu code and x-windows. Likewise, Windows - especially Windows 7, 8 and 10 (what happened to 9, anyway?) have, or will have, a bunch of nifty new features also hard to emulate.

Redy would always be playing catch-up.

Take for example touch-screen capabilities: GTK has those already implemented, EuGTK has the code there to run them, and the next major Linux releases such a Ubuntu will be ready to use them. Who would even know where to start looking for a way to implement those on the bare metal?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu