Re: Unified libraries to allow porting code to other oses

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

What does the latter have to do with the former? wxWidgets might use different names for different classes, but the same naming scheme would apply across all wxWidget supports platforms.

I probably don't understand the question. The source code might be the best support for an answer. To set text I have a set of functions

atom wxClass = getClass(wxId) 
  if find(wxClass, {wxListCtrl, wxListBox, wxChoice}) then 
    set_string( wxId, param-1, text ) 
  elsif find(wxClass, {wxFrame, wxButton, wxStaticText, wxComboBox, wxRadioBox}) then 
    set_label ( wxId,  text ) 
  elsif (wxClass = wxStatusBar) then 
    if sequence(id) then 
      set_status_text( wxId, text, param-1) 
    else 
      set_status_text( wxId, text, 0 ) 
    end if 
  elsif (wxClass = wxTextCtrl) then 
    set_text( wxId, text ) 
  end if 

To get text, I have another set of functions, but function names to get text are not always coherent with functions to set text:

if find(wxClass, {wxListCtrl, wxListBox, wxChoice, wxComboBox}) then 
    text = get_string_selection( wxId ) 
  elsif find(wxClass, {wxFrame, wxButton, wxStaticText, wxRadioBox}) then 
    text = get_label ( wxId ) 
  elsif (wxClass = wxStatusBar) then 
    if sequence(id) then 
      text = get_status_text( wxId, param-1) 
    else 
      text = get_status_text( wxId, 0 ) 
    end if 
  elsif (wxClass = wxTextCtrl) then 
    if sequence(id) then 
      text = get_text_line( wxId, param-1 ) 
    else 
      text = get_text_value( wxId ) 
    end if 
  end if 

set_string but get_string_selection, set_text but get_text_line or get_text_value. I spend a lot of time to find the correct function names according to the classes, and sometimes the documentation is outdated and refers to non-existing names. With the wxSimple library, users avoid this problem.

jimcbrown said...

Even something like winSimple (which imvho is very badly named, as it sounds windoze-centric) would be a lot of effort.

It is badly named, that's right, but winSimple is windows-centric, it does not only sound windows-centric. It has just a syntax which is common to wxSimple or linSimple.

jimcbrown said...

Wouldn't this break the desired goal, cross compatibility? Any program that uses the standard wxEuphoria functions would not be able to change the library from wxSimple to winlibSimple.e without having someone manually addressing issue of the advanced calls.

wxSimple will never be exhaustive and do it all. I don't think I can achieve a unique cross-platform library. There will always be something specific to a platform or to a GUI. For example wxWidgets supports networking, win32lib does not. So the goal is not to get full cross compatibility: it is to let people do easily 80% of the porting job and let advanced users help them terminate with the remaining 20%.

Regards

Jean-Marc

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu