Re: Frustrated again!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Hi Irv

Had a look at LiveCode, quite interesting, and obviously built a up a large following very quickly because of its ethos.

I agree with what you said, in that Eu should not try to be all things to all non-coders, but my original point is this - that I (as an individual programmer) should not have to spend a large proportion of my time faffing about with the library, trying to get all the libs to co-operate with each other, I should just be able to install the library that I want, with the toolkit that works, and be able to program with it.

A case in point is this - I've just installed jmduro's win32lib-etc, and the win32lib demos work fine, but a lot of other win32 lib programs don't that used to before, including IDE. I've added the path in eu.cfg, and I will be able to get it working, but I shouldn't have to (I'm not going to go into what the error list is here, suffice to say I can follow, and know what's happening, but I shouldn't need to have to fix it. The wxEuphoria demos also work fine, so good job, and its a definite first step, but I'm still banging my head.

This is why I believe that Euphoria needs an install that installs everything a newcomer needs, and expects, when they install a new programming, and absolutely, its not going to be all things to all men, but those that wish to take it forward with more advanced toolkits will surely do so. This should also be updated when Eu and the libraries updates, so that updating Eu is simply a matter of download and installing the whole lot to give a working 'base' install. As I said, jmduros archive is a great first step, and I see that it has been touted on the news page. It should include the compiled IDE (I have 1.04), as I know that this works, and I think it shouldn't be long (in programming time, not absolute time) to get the exw to work.

And just to re-iterate again, this is not a rant aimed at any individual members, just my own personal rant at the frustrations I come across time and again that shouldn't exist, and that I know newcomers will face, and that I also appreciate all the work that the various contributors make, to make Eu the great language that I have enjoyed for many years.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu