Re: Over exaggerated negative post on reddit programming

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
petelomax said...

Attack the article, not the person.

Jesse Adkins said...

Perhaps most importantly, an E programmer should remember to initialize their variables to starting values. Failure to do so means that a variable is unset. Attempt to use a variable that is unset is an error. E shall not provide a None, null, nil, or other constant to test if a variable is unset.

Jesse, sincerely, after few years of programming in Microsoft's Basic dialects, and having to add Option Explicit statement on top of each module, together with defint a-z... I need a physiotherapist to cure my both hands.

Initializing variables -

1. Creates a readable, mature, and clear code.
  2. Allows a straightforward way to warn that 129 variables are not used anymore.
  3. Enforcing a logical way of thinking.
  4. Eliminates cases of forgetting to assign the correct value to variable.
  5. Allows a quick observation of resources usage.
  6. Eliminates all kinds of errors.

And by the way,
Jesse Adkins said...

E will require declaration of variables before being able to use them. Additionally, the language will require that all variables have a type. Out of the box, the following types will be supported:

integer : A 31-bit integer. But there are plans to make it a full 32 bits in the future. E does not understand 64-bits though. atom : A C double. sequence : An array. object : Any one of the above three.

1. Integer is known to be the most efficient data type - that's why.
  2. Double is not a C invention - it's a well known hardware capacity.
  3. Sequence does not stands for "Array" - it's an unlimited dynamic structure, unbelievably easy-to-use, and more powerful then any other concept I know.
  4. Actually Object, together with the three above, allows you to use very advanced patterns that cannot be achieved easily, or not at all, in other languages.
  5. Beside Integer, Double, (32 or 64 bits), Euphoria-Sequence, and Euphoria-Object: does the PC hardware offers many more exciting data types?
    That's the power of Euphoria: Simplicity.
Jesse Adkins said...

Strings will be represented by a sequence wherein each element has a very low integer value. This will make it so a programmer cannot tell the difference between an array and a string. In fact, internally, the interpreter will also have no idea. To further complicate matters, the type system will only check the top level of a type.

When you don't know what you're doing, what you're writing - and what for: only then it's hard to tell the difference between "" and {}.
That's another way to get rid of untalented and useless programmers from the business. Look at it as a modest contribution of the Euphoria programming language to the world's global harmony.

I could go on with this, but almost any part of your post is shallow and immature, and I don't want to upset the readers of this forum.

I don't say that you are a bad programmer, I say that your attitude and perspective is very very narrow minded, and with this attitude your contribution to the world of programming is by overloading the already overloaded programming world - with another programming language.

Edit: and by the way, Euphoria users don't need and don't want to care about low level headache such as signed/unsigned registers, 31-bits or 63-bits, or other CPU flags. C does the job very well, at the cost of huge complexity.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu