Re: string_exec()

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
dcuny said...
katsmeow said...

What if you were in the 3rd grade, and i offered to teach you a new trick: how to calculate the average age of Joe's cow herd, but you are unable to learn new procedures or functions or variable names?

I'm trying to what sort of solution would fit your needs. There are many possible solutions that could be proposed, but if they don't fit your needs, what good does that do?

You gave two examples, neither of which needed to create functions on the fly.

I said "string execution". On an OE forum, i expected everyone would understand the string was of OE code. Any OE code. I intentially did not restrict the code to certain subsets of OE.

dcuny said...

So I'm trying to clarify what you're doing, to ensure I understand the problem we're trying to solve.

At this point, I don't think I've got a good understanding of your needs.

For example, I don't understand why a sandbox won't work. Why does your solution need to know about it's internal variables?

My solution doesn't need to know about it's variables any more than the encompassing program does (which is a different thread, and i think it does). The way Matt, Derek, petelomax, etc see sandboxed string execution, one must know a var exists and be able to copy it into the sandbox, and then know it exists inside the sandbox and have code already written to copy it out of the sandbox.

Way back when, the solution was dynamic includes, but of course they couldn't be un-included, and there were other issues (like eventually you simply ran out of the encompassing program). Dynamic includes were normal includes, but sprinkled thruout the program, possibly written by the program itself before they were included. I don't recall anyone suggesting those be sandboxed.

Pleading for string execution is like beating a dead horse, and i am weary and feel hopeless. It's not going to happen. I made a mistake sticking with wintel, trying nix, and waiting on Euphoria to grow up. It's that simple.

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu