Re: string_exec()

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
petelomax said...

An old idea, but I thought it is about time I at least got a start on some design. ...

I've not had much need for this facility (that I can recall), so what would be its purpose? Can anyone give me some useful, concrete examples?

So far it seems like a method for an ad hoc user of "my app" to do some programming. I think I can see some merit in give such unknown code values from variables that "my app" controls, but I'm pretty sure I'd want some control over how such unknown code can update "my app"'s environment.

The closest I've gotten is that I've written some macro's that run in an app's space (eg. Excel, Word, Access, etc...) but they have pretty limited access to the underlying application's data space. Oh, and I wrote a game engine that allowed game designers to write "code" to control a game, but still they couldn't get access to the engine's data space.

I think the safest route to go would be to have string_exec() take two parameters - the code text, and a work-space environment that would contain values supplied by the calling app. string_exec() would return two things: A success/failure code and an updated work-space. The calling app could then decide what to do with the updated values.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu