Re: Who is compiling Eu, and why?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...

Phix is very much ASM based. I'm not sure what "self-recursive compiling" is, but I guess it has something to do with Pete emitting ASM all over the place.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2998768/how-can-a-languages-compiler-be-written-in-that-language - I guess I meant that it's entirely self-hosted, unlike OE (which has a self-hosted front end but typically uses a backend written in C).

katsmeow said...
ryanj said...

Alright, i understand your frustration, katsmeow, and why you don't see the point of bringing up ideas that have probably already been ignored or forgotten in the past. But let's assume, for the sake of argument, that there are some people that really do want to spend the time it takes to add some features to Euphoria at this point in time. What features does Phix have and/or what other general features should Euphoria have?

OE has been compared to Phix in the past, it's already been decided that the way Phix is built, everything about it's insides, and therefor what it can do, is incompatable with OE.

Sort of. The internals of Phix are not compatible with OE, but both projects make huge efforts to keep the feature set in sync. The long term OE multithreaded plan is to present the same API as Phix, for example, so one can write multithreaded code that runs under either.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu