Re: Pass by Reference

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
dcuny said...
Shian_Lee said...

David's 'filters' program can be written very easily in Euphoria, in many ways, as long as you are a disciplined and consistent programmer.

Please clarify what you mean by "disciplined and consistent."

I've outlined the ways that I understand this can be done in Euphoria. None of these ways seem particular "very easily" done, especially in comparison with other languages. Rather, the solutions seem rather clunky to me.

- David

David, please don't compare Euphoria to other languages.
Any language has its plus and minus - the overall advantage is the important, not small things, such as using equal() instead of =.

In order to protect the plus of Euphoria, in order to keep Euphoria rapid, easy-to-learn, easy-to-use, readable, powerful - we must protect the minus as well.

i.e. in order to protect the simplicity of Euphoria - we must protect its minus which is pass by value.

About "disciplined and consistent.":
From my point of view, the entire C language is clunky. Also BASIC is clunky whenever you have to convert between types. The entire 'Assembly' language is clunky.
...So few lines of "clunky" Euphoria code are forgivable. Especially when these few lines are able to replace many lines of a clunky language such as C.

By being consistent in your coding style - even the most clunky language looks great. Just take a look at Assembly code: some programs are looking so terrible that it hurts the eyes; other programs are looking beautiful like art.

To make a program looking beautiful like art, it needs time, self discipline, and consistent coding style. This kind of programs are readable, maintainable, and with less bugs.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu