Re: You can't compare language features, only languages

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Shian_Lee said...

There are not obvious or scary ideas, such as:

• Object oriented programming or some other type of structured data access for native euphoria data
  • Dynamic code evaluation, including using an embedded interpreter

Euphoria 4 already introduced tricky ways to enter or break branching statements and loops, which makes it harder to understand the code quickly, in my opinion. Adding other type of structured data might lead to a new language - maybe "Euphoria++"?

I know that someone might someday need something - but if every language should supply ALL the options for any theoretical need... then Euphoria will end up bloated, useless, not easy and not fun to use.

I think these two features would be very helpful. Most popular languages already offer object-oriented programming, dynamic code execution, REPL, and reflection. I think that by not offering these features, Euphoria quickly turns away a lot of new-comers. Just because one inexperienced programmer might break his own code with an "advanced" feature is no reason to not include that feature to the benefit of other "advanced" programmers who may use it correctly. One library that would certainly benefit from an object-oriented design is wxEuphoria, since it is based on wxWidgets, which is deeply object-oriented itself.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu