Re: You can't compare language features, only languages

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Shian_Lee said...
GreenEuphorian said...
Shian_Lee said...
ArthurCrump said...

I agree that 'goto' is a low level command. However, now that it has been introduced it cannot be removed.

"cannot" will never lead us anywhere.

The courage to change will lead us somewhere. But it needs courage.

It's better to solve a problem while it's small. As time goes by, problem only gets more complex.

@Sian Lee: 'problem'?!? While I appreciate your posts, frankly I do not understand your worry about the 'goto' statement. I don't see it as a problem at all. What matters most, IMHO, is not having or not having a given feature, but to make sure that the programming experience is as smooth as possible (intuitive / respecting the least surprise principle). I do not see any reason for being bothered with the current features of Euphoria. Like you rightly said in an earlier post, let's make the current version more user friendly - this should be the focus.

When I was programming PLC's I had to change some programs which other people wrote.

Since PLC programming don't place any boundaries on the programmer - the code I found looked like a garbage bin; And I had to rewrite it from the beginning.

'goto' belongs to Assembly, the same way CHR$() or what ever it was belongs to BASIC.

Euphoria is losing its strength by adding strength.

This is not intended to be offensive Shian_Lee. As a martial artist of many years in the past I understand where your coming from, but this isn't war and even if goto does not belong in OE I simply cannot see breaking random programs that users and client's of users rely upon. Here's my take. Goto was voted in, Goto was then implemented, users now have the choice to goto their inventory and choose the Goto weapon of mass destruction, users develop programs using the goto weapon, we remove goto cause we don't trust programmers can goto the manual and read the warning label, now user space breaks, user's user base start creating support tickets.

Whether you have a user base of one or a user base of one million, breaking user space can potentially be very dangerous and does not make for a good reputation.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu