Re: You can't compare language features, only languages

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...
Luke Plant said...

... Is there a good way forward?

-Greg

I've practiced years Tae-Kwon-Do, which is a martial art. This practice helped me to understand and to solve many questions.

During the years, I've realized the necessity to go backward. Many famous battles would have failed if the army would just go forward.

My father, which spent his entire life in the army, had to see with his own eyes the result of simply going forward - which was Stalin's favorite way; the results were millions of dead Russian soldiers. That didn't bother Stalin at all, since he was fanatic.

In war, mistakes are done. too many. and the price is very high. It's important to analyze mistakes and to fix them. A war is not a spelling mistake in MS-Notepad.

A good way forward, in many cases, is a good way backward.

Example specifically to Euphoria:

As much as the built-in 'goto' statement offers clear advantages over other types of flow control statements or methods - it has a proven bad side effects.

I guess you all programmers must know the bad side effects of 'goto'.

'goto' is a low level command. It has no place in a very high level language, which one of it's goals is to keep the code readable/maintainable and minimalist - by all the users of the language.

The way experienced fighter knows the way backward - experienced programmer must know the way backward too. It needs courage and maturity.

Removing 'goto' from the arsenal of Euphoria - is one step forward by moving one step backward.

'goto' is not the only case.

Please be brave and honest when it comes to moving backward.

And please don't attack me with 100 posts, since I don't have the time to read or answer.

Euphoria is NOT a toy language. A very professional applications, written in Basic in the 90's, are still in use until today. And also in Euphoria. One of my QuickBasic programs is in use more then 20 years already - and it kicked out from the business 3 competitors, which used C or Pascal, but failed to achieve the quality of the one I wrote in QuickBasic.

Euphoria is way beyond Basic, in terms of power and possibilities.

Again - don't attack me. I believe that the developers are still interested to hear about the users point of view.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu