Re: Let's be honest: Euphoria is dying

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Actually I just picked up on Euphoria a few weeks ago and after small learning curve ( I already know the C language and Computer Science ) I was surprised at the ease of writing code with minimal errors as long as you get the syntax correct. An embedded version could be a good idea, I hate that Android has to use java all over the place. I do not think 'dying' is a good word for the slow replacement of one language for another, and I believe this is going to be one of "my languages" because it has an appeal to my thinking process that java and c++ do not. I for years have been trying to hold on to objective-C on Linux, because I saw its beauty and potential but was disappointed all the time, and never saw Mac as a platform I wanted to get into. Still don't. But now the functional parts of objc have been torn out of the gcc suite and that kind of kills it for me. I am having fun with euphoria right now, and I would encourage the current architects of the code to carry on and think about an android port. ( I don't think lua, perl, lisp, or even fortran are 'dying' either. They may have newer, shinier cousins in the spotlight but they have their uses and user-bases. Some should go the dustbin of history and simply will not like MUMPS (a medical field database-oriented language) -- that $#!+e is old and crustified beyond belief. I also understand that the world's air fleet of jetliners has about 60 million lines of Cobol running at any given time of the day ... remember that as you are 12 km in the air!

Anyway, I am impressed with the testing and the ability to compile the code and its robustness, and its relative consistency in method and practice. What euphoria might need is an industrial use-case where it excels over other languages. Many manufacturers of high-tech machines like precision grinders and cutters and industrial chemical refiners/cookers, etc have fashioned their own 'languages' (usually in C or java, or in maple or subsets of lisp (Autocad) ). They overlay the generics with specific lingo and ops suited to the tasks and operators know nothing of the underlying codes. They 'program" in the 'new' "domain specific" language. Euphoria seems tailor-made for such a niche, but maybe hasn't found one yet.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu