Re: Let's be honest: Euphoria is dying

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Nevla said...

The most significant fact of this thread is the lack of participation from the developers' side, which definitely is not a good sign.

Or is a good sign ... the users of the language, arguably, have better signal to noise on this topic than its developers, who are rather invested in its success.

Nevla said...

Of course, the developers may just dismiss this thread as a pointless FUD discussion, with no benefit at all. Yet we cannot overlook the fact that the developers are not willing to clearly state their current level of commitment, or at least give us an update on the current status of Euphoria's vitality.

As an evidence-based kinda person, I'm finding it hard to understand why you infer that "developers are not willing".

If you wanted developers specific input into this topic, a better method might have been to ask for it.

Nevla said...

Sorry for being a bit abrasive, but I believe that the users have the right to know.

The way you say this, implies that some section(s) of this community are been denying or advocating that users do not need to know the developers point of view on the topic. Do you have evidence of that?

In any case, my point of view as one of the developers (and note that every developer is independent from the others and might very well have a divergent view from a consensus), is the a language is only dead if no one uses it. I can believe that Euphoria will be used by some people for quite awhile to come, even if it has no further releases. Basically because it is actually a useful tool.

However, the current hiatus on releases has more to do with available developer time than anything else. There is certainly a desire to have it out in the wild, but one of the side effects of improving the language is that it now takes even longer to do all the double-checks, regression tests, and administrivia of releasing a product.

At this point I wish to send a profound thank you to Tom for his Herculean effort with the documentation.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu