Re: Let's be honest: Euphoria is dying

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Nevla said...

The most significant fact of this thread is the lack of participation from the developers' side, which definitely is not a good sign.

Yet we cannot overlook the fact that the developers are not willing to clearly state their current level of commitment, or at least give us an update on the current status of Euphoria's vitality.

Not sure where you get off saying that. _tom and rywilly are both members of the dev team. We do have participation from the developers. I'd go further and include people like irv, who - while not formally on the dev team for the language itself - are definitely developers of major and important libraries for Euphoria.

Nevla said...

Of course, the developers may just dismiss this thread as a pointless FUD discussion, with no benefit at all.

Sorry for being a bit abrasive, but I believe that the users have the right to know.

It would be easy to justify doing so. Based on your ip address and registered email address, it is pretty clear that you are the same individual as a known troll and that this is just another attempt by you to harass the community.

However, this conversation has been allowed to go on because:

1) The issue itself is definitely a real one.

2) It would be good to get some ideas on how to make things better in this regard.

3) Some very good ideas have already been discussed by devs and users who - unlike you - actually care and have a genuine interest.

Anyways, my view is that things will probably pick up once one of the devs has more time to devote to the project. Or maybe when a new member joins the dev team (as has happened in the past). Right now, everyone's busy and there's no money to pay for someone to take this on as a full-time or even a part-time job. But having a down period or two is hardly the end of the language.

On a bigger scale, it's pretty hard to compete. The lack of commercial funding is a major hamper (and remember, Rob tried to go the commercial route from the beginning and gave it up in the end). Even with a significant amount of funding, Euphoria itself isn't new so it'd be hard to hype it up as some "shiny new thing".

AFAIK no one is trying to keep Euphoria down. It's just that Euphoria is unlucky enough to have less than ideal circumstances. Of course, with enough money, this could easily change, but how likely is that to happen? (By "enough", I'm thinking something along the lines of multi-million dollar commercial investments.)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu