Re: OK what does ` mean - seriously seems to be not documented.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
gimlet said...

Assume the text read in contains `\r\n` then the person writing this meant \r\n not {13,10}.

Err, right. That's {92, 114, 92, 110}.

gimlet said...

You can say they are the same as 65 = 'A' but that doesn't make them the same. Just because in Euphoria 'A' and 65 are the same byte values doesn't make them the same values with the same meaning.

How coherent would key: 63 = "assignment" be to any person reading the file?

They have the same value. Point taken about meaning though.

gimlet said...

This is like saying a while loop is only a label loop pair.

Semantics.

gimlet said...

Apart from anything else why should `\r\n` be illegal - I am not talking about source code but the textual representation of source to be read into a map.

In that case, that's already legal TODAY.

gimlet said...

You read in a piece of text containing "crlf". You pass this piece of text "crlf" including the quotes to value and it returns "crlf" a sequence.

You say I can't do something similar to `\r\n` and introduce the red herring that I can't match for \r\n but can match for "*
r
n*". Really?

If you want you can search for `\r\n` which is the same as "
r
n" or {92, 114, 92, 110}.

If you are reading from a text file using get() then you can search for "\r\n" as well as

` 

` 

which preserves both the CR and LF. Just make sure you open the file in binary mode first.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu