Regarding Euphoria Editors...

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Hello All,

"ed.ex>edx.ex>mdx.ex": Over a week ago, I posted,"mdx.ex", ( the editor formerly known as "edx.ex" ) my latest modified version of "ed.ex" to http://rapideuphoria.com/index.html. I had to a bit of editing to the Euphoria 4.1 versions of syncolor.e and tokenizer.e in order to support features that I have been using in the editor for several years.

I suspect that the developers consider "supporting" ed.ex more trouble than it is worth. I really don't think more than a handful of programmers are using it, or even a modified version of it. So, I am not complaining about the proposed intent to move "ed.ex" to /euphoria/demo/edx.ex.

Please post a brief reply, if you are using ed.ex in any form.

I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, so I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, "Vim": Shian Lee's support files make "Vim" look very promising. One day, I may devote myself to the learning curve.

"Geany": I really like Geany. I have a fantasy that the developers will write C-code Geany support files so that Geany will support I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, so I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, Euphoria natively, like all the other "real" programming languages. In the mean time Irv Mullins "gneui.ex" and my EuGeany files work well enough, under Linux at least. The problem is that Geany under windows requires installation of GTK and has unspecified "reduced features".

"wxEuphoria/IDE/EDB": Once upon a time, I was able to run wxEuphoria, and wxIDE/EDB, under Linux. But, for the last couple of years I have not been able to install wxEuphoria on Ubuntu (I am now using Ubuntu 2.13). I suspect that the "gtk+-2.0" requisite is the problem. I have installed libgtk2.0-dev - still no joy. I suspect that Matt has installed WxEuphoria under Debian - but is any one else using wxEuphoria on Windows, or any other Linux Distribution other than Debian? If so, please post a note to that effect.

I think several of the wx editor's slick features could be implemented in ed.ex/edx.ex -certainly projects and auto-complete of all commands in the current and all other open files, but it will probably take a better programmer than I. Even with expanded features by a first rate euphoria programmer, I don't think a console editor is going to attract very many users.

"The GORILLA in the Living Room": Windows editors. Probably ninety-five out of a hundred euphoria programmers are primarily interested in the Windows platform. I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets or GTK under Windows, so first class Euphoria support for a nice Windows editor might give Euphoria a boost in popularity. What do you think?

Regards, Ken Rhodes

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu