Re: Adding a Builtin to EUPHORIA

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...
SDPringle said...

Regex is in the backend, but the only reasons I remember given is to get rid of the need of adding dll files to the distribution of EUPHORIA and for speed.

Regex can be compiled as a dll and then added via the dll interface. As developers we could have done it that way. It would have been easier and less bug prone. If dll is too slow we ought to work out how we can make it faster.

"The only reasons" you mention are huge, though. It might have been less bug prone. It definitely would have been slower.

I don't think it would have been that much slower. It's how we handle a lot of the stuff in the stdlib, like msgboxes and mmap.

mattlewis said...

Basically, having regexes is pretty much an entry level requirement for a language.

Agreed.

mattlewis said...

Requiring a separate library to be distributed would be crazy.

Agreed, if it had to be distributed separately. I don't see it being a big deal to have to ship the one PCRE library with Euphoria though. You ever see how many dlls a Windoze installation of Python comes with?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu