Re: Adding a Builtin to EUPHORIA

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
SDPringle said...

This mystifies me but I have heard this before. There is no compelling need to add a EUPHORIA builtin when you are just adding routines.

Depends on the nature of the routine. I think BRyan is trying to add something like a variable_id() (routine_id() but for variables), or something.

SDPringle said...

Regex is in the backend, but the only reasons I remember given is to get rid of the need of adding dll files to the distribution of EUPHORIA and for speed.

It doesn't speed things up and adding a shared library is not a big deal. The real reason was DOS support.

Since DOS was dropped, there no longer is any compelling reason to include regex the way we do in the source code. Using a shared library is actually better, as it makes it possible to upgrade the PCRE component indepedently.

SDPringle said...

Regex can be compiled as a dll and then added via the dll interface. As developers we could have done it that way. It would have been easier and less bug prone. If dll is too slow we ought to work out how we can make it faster.

Agreed. There's no backwards compatibility concerns in doing so either, since we can hide all that in the stdlib.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu