Re: Fluid Application Environment 3.0.alpha1 Released!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
EUWX said...
ryanj said...
useless_ said...

So we cannot edit the widget library? What are the penalties for doing so?

Yes, you could make your own custom widget classes, but it has to be done a specific way or it won't work correctly with the other widget classes. My intention is to provide a complete set of standard widgets classes so that people don't need to make their own.

I applaud your attitude. It is better to give the application programmer a reasonably complete set of functions and tell him not to meddle with those rules.

I have encouraged Ryan over the years in his work on FAE, i have not said a bad word about it until this last week. I think FAE is a landmark feature addition to Euphoria in the world of gui OSs like windows and nix.

Before Ryan announced in this forum that FAE was complete enough to make a release, i believe i spotted yet another large leap FAE could make, but Ryan has shut me down, even to the point of not saying what sanctions i get if i make use of FAE as i would like (even tho it's licensed in such a way i could).

Oddly, contradicting himself, EUWX goes on to say:

EUWX said...

He/she could then concentrate on creating a good application without worrying about the GUI and without worrying abolut any absent features.
I will even say that it is best to give a reasonably complete set of GUI functions and tell him to take it or leave it.

You mean Ry should not have written FAE, when there is already various other gui libraries in the archives, including the crossplatform Tk interfaces?

EUWX said...

There are too many people writing too many functions and modifications to Euphoria, and not enough programmers using the language. The time spent (wasted) in these so called modifications is better spent on promoting the language in forums and areas where it matters.

<sarcasm>
Right. Lets struggle with what we have, not make any improvements. We should be begging other people to use whatever we have, instead of providing what they'd want to use. Shame on you Ryan!
</sarcasm>

EUWX said...

One of the reasons I was suggesting many "includes" into one and building a "no entry" wall around it was this concern.

<sarcasm>
Right, stop all progress on FAE right now, and make it proprietary and encrypted and impossible to tweak and improve!
</sarcasm>

EUWX said...

ryanj: My suggestion to you is to go ahead and finish the task the way YOU want to finish it, and then spend some time in giving us the demos and documentations. You then look at it later only when there are significant changes in windows APIs

Ryan has worked on FAE on and off for many years. I've encouraged a release before it was finished. I believe he's done the right thing in releasing now, and i suggest more demos now. I thought FAE would be just the thing to get me to leave a 32,000 byte dos/basic interpreter environment behind and program for a gigabyte gui operating system, but my last conversations with him in #euphoria ended badly, and he's going to stop short of the next step. I had hoped he could add 10 more lines of code to FAE to make all my dreams come true, and add even more functionality to OOEU-gui-tasks. And now EUWX is also saying i should be forbidden to add to FAE. So, i remain:

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu