Re: Obsolete EUDIR!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
K_D_R said...
FredRansom said...

...I find EUDIR quite handy. I hope we keep it. Most programs I've written in EU are portable. In fact most will also work on Linux with the wine loader...

I agree. It strikes me as rash to suddenly drop EUDIR. However; if it is dropped, then some function like this added to std filesys.e would be helpful:

I find EUDIR to be the opposite of useful. I suppose that on Windows, where everything is installed to a bundled directory, it can be useful. In a unix-like environment, however, the whole concept of what EUDIR means necessarily changes.

But I still find environment variables to be more troublesome than configuration files or command line arguments. For one thing, it doesn't support multiple installations of euphoria. Or an installed version and a development version working on the same machine. I have several working versions of euphoria. If I relied on EUDIR, it would be a lot more complicated and difficult to setup and maintain.

And I still say that if you're using EUDIR, you're doing it wrong and making your life more difficult.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu