Re: Off Topic: English Grammar, Spelling, colloquialisms, etc.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
wynco said...

hey useless

We actually do pronounce 'your' and 'you're' as 'yore'. Everyone that grew up around here pronounces it that way. We are sort of a cross between a hillbilly and a southern dialect. It is fading though, as every generation gets closer to standard english in pronunciation. Grammar however is getting worse I'm afraid. :( I tend to avoid contractions when typing but that one slipped by on use and spelling. Wish I was perfect, but ain’t there yet. :)
(could not resist an ain’t, sorry)

I have spent most of my life in the south usa too, and suffered thru conversations with backwood people who i couldn't understand. I tried to improve my skills, they try not to. I still cannot get past "drivin mah ca da-own the rah-ode like i was teached to".

The words "ain't" is not an english term, afaik it's from Scottish, and as you know the Brits never did care for them, so their words get frowned on.

You may be surprised to know that after years of reflection on the matter, i find "you all" (or "y'all") to be a viable non-formal phrase, where no alternative really exists to mean "this group of humans i am now speaking to, and others like them". Strangely, "you people" has a racist connotation.

We've had a lot of arguements on this list about "it's" and "its". Other lists have seen arguements over "Hawaii" vs "Hawai'i".

I have often thought words from Star Wars were pulled from the southern usa, for instance, "chewbacca" is a real word in southern rural Georgia, it means "do you chew tobacco?", and yeas, i have heard it used. And with his mouth packed full of tobacco to prove his manhood, most replies sound like the "YEOOENAAHNNNUUNNNUMM" of Chewbacca, complete with the head tilted back.

As jimcbrown is all to happy to point out, i also make typos, but seldom on purpose.

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu