Re: [OT] spelling contest

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Something like:

euKat said...

<euKat> If the position of the Global Elite were only relatively inaccessible to movement, a one-world Government and one-unit monatary system, under permanent non-elected hereditary oligarchists may remedy and, at the same time, eliminate a stipulation to place the 10 NWO government-regions into their various categories.

When the hell did i ever say that for myself?? Answer: i didn't

What you did was paste that line into the #euphoria irc channel, on June 18th, 2009, at around 5:30pm EST.

eukat said...

and you are obviously reaching to extremes in the usual attempt to trip me up and/or slander. You owe me another appology,

I apologize wholeheartedly for the appearance of slandering you/tripping you up. That was not my intention. I was simply looking for a good example of a sentence which would be difficult to understand while being grammatically correct. From the original context, that sentence seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

I wasn't aware that I currently owed you an apology.

I wasn't aware that this sentence would cast you in a bad light, any more than your typo of apology (as "appology") would have.

eukat said...

for the line you attribute to me is a copy/pasted quote of someone else, and even if i copy/pasted it, i did not edit it. It's entirely possible i posted it because of the bad spelling. But you, in this context, have stripped the context this copy/paste was in, and cast me in a bad light.

As I recall, you pasted 4 separate sentences or sentence fragments at once to demonstrate a nonsensical but grammatically correct sentence. (I disagreed at the time, believing that any grammatically correct sentence has a valid meaning, no matter how difficult it was to understand.)

Since you pasted it, and since I was not aware of what the original source (or sources) was (or were), I believe it is correct to quote you with that sentence, even if you did not originally create it. (However, I believe that you were the first to show that exact sentence, creating from pieces of other sentences but still making it an original writing of yours.)

I don't see any spelling errors in that sentence, unless you mean that NWO should be NGO.

eukat said...

Besides, not knowing the difference between different words is a whole other situation than typos.

I agree, but I don't think that there's any indication that the original poster did not understand the difference between the two different words in question. The poster understood the difference but chose to use a dialectal spelling rather than the more formal spelling. So what?

Forked into: English Grammar, Spelling, colloquialisms, etc.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu