1. What happened to OpenEuphoria and Euphorria

Is Euphoria not being supported anymore?

I see nobody is responding to my inquiries.

And I noticed there is very little traffic on this forum.

Is Euphoria a dead language?

I don't know what to, it's the only language that I know. All my programs are in Euphoria.

Since I switched to Windows 10 several problems have come up.

I would like to know if others are having these problems such as compiling with Windows 10.

Don Cole

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: What happened to OpenEuphoria and Euphorria

Hi Don
There has been a tremendous lot of work on extra features in versions after 4.05, namely 4.10 but (IMHO) acceptance/usage has not been as fast. I tried 4.10 twice and reverted.
Speaking for myself, 4.05 has less bugs - yes if I took more effort in assisting with bug identification and resolution, 4.10 could be better, but I don't have the dedication for that. I am not alone on that.
IMHO (again) Euphoria worked better under the benevolent dictatorship of Rob Craig where he would do a lot of testing before presenting a new release (with documentation). I'd rather pay the $50 or less registration fee and get something I didnt have to spend hundreds of $'s time to fight with.
When you have volunteer developers, they will (understandably) spend their time on what they think is cool, and IMHO testing, documentation, finalizing a release are not considered as cool as new features.
Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) and Euphoria is free, so the prognosis is not good.
Pity!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: What happened to OpenEuphoria and Euphorria

I am not a Win10 fan either -
I scrapped my win10 legit license on a new laptop and paid significantly for a legal win7, which is more expensive - Funny that ? ;) This laptop is win8.1 64bit and I have lots of issues with 32bit execs not working, even with "run as 32 bit" mode. Also had to go out of my way to put things in the registry to prevent the hidden "upgrade" to win10 that the Redmond people are desperate to enforce.
Cheers

4. Re: What happened to OpenEuphoria and Euphorria

fizzpopsoft,

Thank you for responding,

I bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1 pre installed.

The first problem I had was with Rob's Qback.exw. Which I used as my main backup.

It uses Xcopy which was replaced with Robocopy in both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Which works better and faster Xcopy. But I had to rewrite my programs to accommodate Robocopy.

After I clean it up I was going to post it in the archives if anybody is still interested in Euphoria anymore.

I kept getting nag screens to update to Windows 10.

You can stop it by deleting a certain Windows update. But every time Windows is updated they sneak it back in there.

Anyway, later on my Windows 8.1 system files got corrupted. Microsoft wanted to charge me to reinstall Windows 8.1 because I didn't have the code number.

So I said to myself, "Seft, Why not download Windows 10, It's free". A big mistake.

For one thing it realy slows down this old (made for Windows 8.1) Toshiba.

The main problem I'm now having is the text_colors have changed:

Command Was Now
text_color(0) BLACK BLACK
text_color(1) BLUE BLACK *err
text_color(2) GREEN GREEN
text_color(3) CYAN BLACK *err
text_color(4) RED RED
text_color(5) MAGENTA MAGENTA
text_color(6) BROWN BROWN
text_color(7) WHITE PINK *err
text_color(8) GREY GREY
text_color(9) BRIGHT_BLUE BRIGHT_BLUE
text_color(10) BRIGHT_GREEN WHITE *err
text_color(11 BRIGHT_CYAN BRIGHT_CYAN
text_color(12) BRIGHT_RED BRIGHT_RED
text_color(13) BRIGHT_MAGENTA BRIGHT_MAGENTA
text_color(14) YELLOW YELLOW
text_color(15) BRIGHT_WHITE BRIGHT_WHITE
Add 16 it blinks No bliking *err

The column on the left was run with an .exe file created with Euphoria 3.1 and Watcom on Windows 8.1.

The column on the right was run with an .exw file created with Euphoria 3.1. on Windows 10.

The both use the same .exw file.

I'm not sure if this a Windows problem or an Euphoria problem. I tend to think its an Euphoria problem because the old bound program is working ok.

Don Cole

5. Re: What happened to OpenEuphoria and Euphorria

Hi again,
If you can give me some sample source, and/or bound executable, I can run it on Win7 and Win8.1 for you; eg something to display the text colors. I also have a win10 but I dont have access to that until next week when I go home to South Africa on leave/vacation :) I am working in Saudi.
BTW, have you considered testing on VM's? I can create some using VMware Workstation but the network on those would need to be disabled to prevent actual virus and "upgrade" issues. VM's can be loaded using the free VM player.
Cheers,
Alan

6. Re: What happened to OpenEuphoria and Euphorria

Here's the code I'm using to test.

When I bind it comes out ok.

When it's bad 7 comes out pink.

So I think something is wrong with my interpreter.

If the .exw comes out all right on your computer then it must be my interpreter. But they why is it binding ok?

What should I do, reinstall Euphoria?

It was working ok little while ago (with Windows 10). I didn't change anything with Euphoria.

include win32lib.ew  
include graphics.e 
<eucode>  
global procedure pause() 
  object ii 
     puts(1,"\n  [ANY KEY] = Continue     [F1] = Force Err         [Esc] = Exit     \n") 
 ii=wait_key() 
   if ii=27 then 
    abort(0) 
   elsif ii=315 then 
     ?9/0  
   end if 
end procedure 
<eucode> 
constant nums={"0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12","13","14","15","16","17","18","19","20","21","22"} 
    for y=0 to 16 do--bk_color 
    text_color(2) 
    bk_color(15) 
        printf(1,"bk_color=%d\n",{y}) 
       bk_color(y) 
         for x=1 to 15 do --text_color 
        text_color(x-1) 
    --  text_color(BRIGHT_GREEN)--dosen't work 
           printf(1,"text_color=%d nums[x]=%s getdec=%d\n",{x-1,nums[x],getdec(nums[x])}) 
         end for 
    pause() 
    end for 

Thank you
Don Cole

7. Re: What happened to OpenEuphoria and Euphorria

Hi Don

Not sure if you can tell, but I've become a bit of a Phix advocate.

not sure what getdec() does, couldn't find a ref to it anywhere, so just commented it out. Ran the program interpreted and compiled, and it ran as expected, and fine, on windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Cheers

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu