1. dropping Windoze?

Forked from Re: EuGTK 4.11.11?

Hi Kat,

unsteady said...

"Trying to use Windows after using Linux for so long is making me physically ill." Somebody could equally say "Trying to use linux after using Windows for so long is making me physically ill."

Well, I guess that there's simply no accounting for taste. blink

That said, those (few?) of you who hate Linux/GNU like the plague and flee to Windoze (versus the majority of us who are the other way) will soon have no where to go: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/ubuntus-bash-and-linux-command-line-coming-to-windows-10/

unsteady said...

"Even when using Windows native software, it runs at half the speed of similar Linux programs " While it may be true,

Glad that you acknowledge that it is true.

unsteady said...

it is irrelevant to people who want to use Windows.

Well, again, there's no accounting for taste. If you want to use it, then maybe that's because you like having things run at half speed ... ? blink

That said, I feel for those who don't want to but are forced to use it.

unsteady said...

"I'm going to remove any Windows platform code from the next EuGTK version. " I don't think that would be a very rational decision.

Actually, we have a similar problem with the 4.1.0 release - no active developer currently runs a Windoze build system, so no one can issue a 4.1.0 release (or even another beta) for that platform. (Even though I'd like to, I've been holding off from declaring Windoze a lower tier platform.)

But irv's decision is more rational than the hypothetical OE one of dropping Windoze support for this reason:

jmduro said...

Maybe I don't well understand the behaviour of the Broadway server, but as I understand it there would be no need of Windows code anymore in the application with the Windows bundle GTK3 + Broadway.

So irv can drop the code, and deal with less headaches from having to maintain it, but still let end users run euGTK programs on Windoze through Broadway. He really can have his cake and eat it too.

unsteady said...

it is irrelevant to people who want to use Windows.

Actually, this raises an interesting point. Might the same EuGTK program run faster via Broadway than when running native on Windoze?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: dropping Windoze?

jimcbrown said...

Forked from Re: EuGTK 4.11.11?

Actually, we have a similar problem with the 4.1.0 release - no active developer currently runs a Windoze build system, so no one can issue a 4.1.0 release (or even another beta) for that platform. (Even though I'd like to, I've been holding off from declaring Windoze a lower tier platform.)

If you are addressing this to "Kat", you will probably get a replay from him. if you were addressing it to me, I would appreciate it if you do not call me Kat.

I am replying to this statement, because I found absolutely no difficulty in compiling version 4.0.5 based on instructions provided somewhere in the forum.
That applies to XP, Win 7 and Win 10 32 and 64 bit.

I will try and compile version 4.1 the same way (WATCOM) or with the suggestions I found at
http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/Compiling41windows.wc

The clients I have are talking of migrating from older version of Visual Studio to Visual Studio 2015, and frown when I say that I will use a free software called "Euphoria" for some minor application, but tolerate me because of their confidence in me in my decision re choice of software. All they want is basically a Windows exe file that will work on Windows 7 and 10, 32 and 64 bits, and clickable from their desktops. Quite often they do not care if it works on 32 or 64 bit versions, because many have deliberately not migrated from Win 7-32 to anything more recent. You might not be aware that Microsoft had a free software upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 that just recently finished, but many have not yet shifted to Win 10. The real world of business is far removed from Linux, except in choice of servers, and even there, some would insist on paying for the more expensive Microsoft servers.

I use Euphoria, simply because I can get fairly cheap programmers who were trained in Cplus plus and BASIC/Visual Basic and do not mind learning Euphoria, and are comfortable with the older style of compiling an exe file.

One must not forget that the programming world is based today on 4 operating systems, viz.
Windows, Linux, Mac and Android, and if any programming language drops any of these platforms, it is committing a suicide.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: dropping Windoze?

unsteady said...

If you are addressing this to "Kat", you will probably get a replay from him.

Yes, I think I just got the reply, above.

unsteady said...

if you were addressing it to me, I would appreciate it if you do not call me Kat.

Well, we can't always get what we want.

unsteady said...

I am replying to this statement, because I found absolutely no difficulty in compiling version 4.0.5

A non sequitur if I've ever heard one.

unsteady said...

I will try and compile version 4.1 the same way (WATCOM)

Bad idea.

unsteady said...

I use Euphoria, simply because I can get fairly cheap programmers who were trained in Cplus plus and BASIC/Visual Basic and do not mind learning Euphoria, and are comfortable with the older style of compiling an exe file.

All they want is basically a Windows exe file that will work on Windows 7 and 10, 32 and 64 bits, and clickable from their desktops.

Sounds reasonable.

unsteady said...

You might not be aware that Microsoft had a free software upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 that just recently finished, but many have not yet shifted to Win 10.

I was aware, in fact.

unsteady said...

The real world of business is far removed from Linux,

This is just plain false.

unsteady said...

some would insist on paying for the more expensive Microsoft servers.

Agreed. I have seen this. Usually some enterprise app that ONLY runs on Windoze - so there's no choice.

unsteady said...

One must not forget that the programming world is based today on 4 operating systems, viz.
Windows, Linux, Mac and Android, and if any programming language drops any of these platforms, it is committing a suicide.

Agreed in full.

4. Re: dropping Windoze?

jimcbrown said...
unsteady said...

There is treatment for Paranoia.
http://www.healthline.com/health/paranoid-personality-disorder#Treatment5

5. Re: dropping Windoze?

jimcbrown said...

no active developer currently runs a Windoze build system, so no one can issue a 4.1.0 release (or even another beta) for that platform. (Even though I'd like to, I've been holding off from declaring Windoze a lower tier platform.)

unsteady said...

jimcbrown said...

Agreed in full.

Well,then Euphoria is dead because Windows can no longer be supported and MAC and Android support has never really gained the status of being "supported".

But wait.... Euphoria is alive and well on Linux. Irv's EuGTK and Pete Eberlein's EuGTK Euphoria editor are rock solid examples of Euphoria's ease of use and power on LINUX.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and call a spade a spade - drop Windows and play to Euphoria's strong suit. Do what it takes to issue a current LINUX release - shuttle all the unworkable 4.1 features to a 4.2 road map. Efforts to support Windows and cross-platform GUI's have retarded Euphoria's development for six (6) years.

Do What You Do Do Well!

Ken
100% Windows Free
Life is Good smile

6. Re: dropping Windoze?

I have always felt cross platform Gui was a bad idea because you would be limited to using only the controls they all have in common - which is very few. Plus the need to maintain and test on all. Too much effort for little return.

That said, I hope we can convince someone to compile a new Windows version of Eu. Windows will be around as long as MS can convince/coerce Walmart to keep selling cheap computers.

7. Re: dropping Windoze?

jimcbrown said...
unsteady said...

It wasn't from this Kat. And i don't know nick "unsteady". And i don't use nix.

8. Re: dropping Windoze?

katsmeow said...

It wasn't from this Kat. And i don't know nick "unsteady".

Seen that before. http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/126363.wc *yawn*

katsmeow said...

And i don't use nix.

Something this 'katsmeow' persona would share in common with that 'unsteady' persona, except ... http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/110444.wc

Anyways, one of the points of this thread is that - thanks to Broadway - Windoze users would not be left out but could continue to use EuGTK programs as end-users.

9. Re: dropping Windoze?

jimcbrown said...

...one of the points of this thread is that - thanks to Broadway - Windoze users would not be left out but could continue to use EuGTK programs as end-users.

BINGO!

Ken Rhodes

10. Re: dropping Windoze?

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

It wasn't from this Kat. And i don't know nick "unsteady".

Seen that before. http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/126363.wc *yawn*

I was not posting as "john" either.

You must always be on the attack, mixing personal crap of your's with the business of OE, don't you, iamlost? In the last 20 years you (and others) have come down on me for various things, and now any one who disgrees with you on Earth, must be me in disguise?

11. Re: dropping Windoze?

katsmeow said...

I was not posting as "john" either.

I have promised not to respond to this through the peace treaty...

katsmeow said...

You must always be on the attack, mixing personal [censored] of your's with the business of OE

I have done my best to keep them separated. Of course, I am always open to advice on this matter.

I have also done my best not to 'attack' anyone.

katsmeow said...

In the last 20 years you (and others) have come down on me for various things,

This is true. For example, just now I have come down on you for using profanity (among other things).

katsmeow said...

and now any one who disgrees with you on Earth, must be me in disguise?

Hardly. For example, andi49 disagreed with me rather strongly ( http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/130067.wc ), but I don't believe that he is you in disguise. I reckon that most people who disagree with me are, in fact, not you.

12. Re: dropping Windoze?

I have been puzzled by this whole thread. What is the point? I keep reading it, trying to understand what Kat has to do with GTK and windows support issues? Why don't we talk about something productive?

13. Re: dropping Windoze?

ryanj said...

Why don't we talk about something productive?

Agreed. Let's move this back to the original topic - dropping Windoze support.

As it is, even irv seems to support the idea of continuing Windoze support in Euphoria. After all, we don't really have a widespread equivalent to Broadway that would let us have the best of both worlds, as EuGTK does.

14. Re: dropping Windoze?

Amen to Post #12.

15. Re: dropping Windoze?

Ok, I spent the holiday working on EuGTK and Windows, and managed to get all but a couple of the over 200 demos to work properly. Win 7-64 bits and Gtk 3.20.

It may take some time to put together a package, but the Gtk libraries already come with a nice installer. Inno, I think. An easy 30-sec job. Then copy a folder of icons into your ProgramData directory, and you're good to go.

Maybe. After all, it's Windows we're dealing with here.

Who volunteers to test this?

16. Re: dropping Windoze?

I did a quick, successful, test a few days ago "8. Re: EuGTK 4.11.11?".

Give me the links to the exact files you are testing and I will see how they work in my virtual environment.

_tom

17. Re: dropping Windoze?

I'll post EuGTK 4.12 on or by the 15th. which will work with Windows. GTK comes with icons in .svg format, which my Win 7 can't display. Is that normal for Win 7, or perhaps all Windows versions?

When I google this, I find lots of suggestions to download this or that graphic editor/viewer, which obviously isn't going to help here. The other option is to convert all icons to .png, but that means another 30 or 40 meg. download.

18. Re: dropping Windoze?

I would like to decrease the use of MS.

Never had any install problems on MS-Windows since 1993. ( Euphoria version 3.1.1 is extremely fast )

But on the Raspberry Pi: euphoria-4.1.0-ARMv6-hardfloat-57179171dbed.tar.gz Extracted it and changed the folder-name.

After throwing eu.cfg out of bin it was possible to run animals.ex: /home/pi/eup410/bin/eui /home/pi/eup410/demo/animals.ex always runs well in the terminal.

color.ex DID RUN THE FIRST TIME, after that any file.ex with eu.cfg in place the terminal says: option 'i' must have a parameter Try 'help' for more information.

Changes in eu.cfg don't help:

-eudir /home/pi/eu410
-i /home/pi/eup410/include 

--origin: -eudir /usr/local/euphexp 
--origin: -i /usr/local/euphexp/include

Restarting the Raspi does not help.

Without the eu.cfg there are all kinds of problems, changing paths on include-files is of no help, except for files without include statements.

QUESTION 1: is it possible to walk arround the -i option ?

QUESTION 2: is there a simple way to give a parameter to -i ?

The html and the pdf gives no good info about installing. Building it with a compiler is not something i have experience with.

Why not recommend Euphoria :

The most easy to learn programming language ever.
total freedom on any editor gives your creativity a boom
first try out in MS-Windows: Version 3.1.1 from http://www.rapideuphoria.com/
thousands of examples of any kind http://www.rapideuphoria.com/archive.htm
type in The Archive: "win32lib" and use the graphical power of GUI.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu