1. routine keyword

Can someone remind me what the "routine" reserved keyword is for?

I can't find anything in the manual, apart from the list of reserved words.
It's listed in keywords.e, reswords.e, and in parser.e as part of {"enum", "label", "break", "case", "fallthru", "routine"} under "if OE4 then".

Edit:

ticket 770 said...

4. Comment by ne1uno Jun 08, 2012
routine is also a reserved word for possible future use.

Edit2: Just stumbled across this thread: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/105581.wc from 7 years ago. Not that there is any real reason for anyone to go and read it.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: routine keyword

petelomax said...

It's listed in keywords.e, reswords.e, and in parser.e as part of {"enum", "label", "break", "case", "fallthru", "routine"} under "if OE4 then".

Edit:

ticket 770 said...

After allowing function return results to be ignored, there was some discussion (though nothing was made certain or final) about OE 5.0 dropping the procedure/function distinction altogether and just having routine...end routine.

A major and still unresolved question is what should happen when one attempts to use the return value of a routine that does not return a value.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: routine keyword

petelomax said...

Edit:

ticket 770 said...

in Ticket:770 "Built-n methods" vs "Built-in routines", I was just pointing out that "routine" was already a reserved word and may not be a good substitute for "method" that was used in various places in the docs.

the devs just like saying "routine", so not that easy to search for details. I think routine may have been reserved for use similar to a function/procedure but inline or nested? one of the ideas that fell off or never got put on the roadmap?

it seems to have morphed into the inline optimization. saving the user from needing to specify which things can get inlined? but maybe lacking some of the advantages of a nested routine. InliningRoutines

4. Re: routine keyword

I downloaded

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=excel

from the Archives.

Somewhere in there I got:

sequence routine 

Error: can not use reserve word as a variable.

I fixed it by changing reserve to Reserve.

Don Cole

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu