1. EuGTK for Windows, OSX

I have a new version (4.9.0) of EuGTK which seems to work 'pretty good' on Windows 7, 64-bits, which is the only version of Windows I have available. The only things which don't work correctly are .svg images and resizable pixbufs. Neither of these are show stoppers, since there are alternatives.

Unfortunately, I can't post the zip file to the usual place - http://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/Home Google complains that the file is too large (41megs).

If anyone is interesting in testing this on Windows, reply here or by e-mail to irvmull (at) gmail and I'll send you a copy.

This is also reported to work on OSX, I can't test that at all, so do we have a volunteer?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

irv said...

Unfortunately, I can't post the zip file to the usual place - http://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/Home Google complains that the file is too large (41megs).

I'm interested. There are zillions of places to upload such files, for instance amazon clouddrive offers 5GB of space with a 2GB size limit for free, and so far no sign of things suddenly expiring.

As a test, this is a 54MB chm file I made that contains most of the bits of MSDN that interest me.

HTH, Pete

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

Actually, there's probably a better way than trying to package all the GTK libraries with EuGTK.

You can easily download either a 32-bit or 64-bit package from gtk.org/downloads, unzip it, and run the 3 or 4 setup programs included in the gtk3/bin subdirectory. Instructions are included with the package.

If you don't run the setup programs - which is what I tried first - you don't have access to fonts, icons, etc.

EuGTK looks for the gtk libraries in /demos/gtk3/bin, so add a gtk3 directory to /demos and unzip the package there, which is probably not the best way to do things.

I don't use Windows, so I would appreciate any advice on the *correct* way to set up these dlls, etc.

You'll need the latest EuGTK 4.9.0, of course. https://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/

4. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

Updated to version 4.9.2, with the GTK dlls as a separate download.

This version has a very easy to use set of functions for reading and writing "ini" type files, so you can save preferences like window position, colors, fonts, etc. from one run to the next. With as few as 2 lines of code!

Also, a few bugs when running on Windows were fixed. See link in previous posts.

5. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

irv said...

Updated to version 4.9.2, with the GTK dlls as a separate download. ... Also, a few bugs when running on Windows were fixed. See link in previous posts.

You finally did it. You adapted this for Windows.

You glorious son of a gun.

6. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

Both projects, EuGTK and Redy are impressive, precious, as the people who create and maintain them.

These two projects may eventually supply a solid ground for GUI development on modern systems - which can be used by beginners and professionals.

Thank you for the huge effort, and good luck for Redy and EuGTK.

7. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

Don't forget Pete's WEE editor.

It works as well as Geany for my Linux work, and better than anything I've used in Windows, and it's written in Euphoria, which means we can fix bugs, add features, etc. - something that is difficult or impossible with the alternatives.

It's about time a modern, language-aware editor was packaged for or with Euphoria!

8. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

irv said...

... It's about time a modern, language-aware editor was packaged for or with Euphoria!

Absolutely.

9. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

irv said...

It works as well as Geany for my Linux work, and better than anything I've used in Windows, and it's written in Euphoria, which means we can fix bugs, add features, etc. - something that is difficult or impossible with the alternatives.

It's about time a modern, language-aware editor was packaged for or with Euphoria!

I am thrilled with Pete's Wee-0.19 under Linux. I don't think it works quite as well as Geany, yet - but WEE is only several months old - the writing is on the wall, WEE will eclipse Geany very quickly!

My WEE/Linux wishlist is rather short, right now:

• Add a "Build Menu" which would include the following options: Make executable file: Shroud the current file (Make *.il file)

Bind the current file Compile current file

option to install the executable file by copying to /home/bin

Keep up the good work Pete!

Regards, Kenneth Rhodes

10. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

irv said...

This is also reported to work on OSX, I can't test that at all, so do we have a volunteer?

I have been using it with Wee to test on OSX. Here is one problem I found, in GtkEngine.e on line 130 and 3593:

ifdef LINUX then 

should be:

ifdef UNIX then 

11. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

Will fix in next update, which will have a lot of new features, such as ready-made file and font selectors which can be called with one line of code, instead of having to be set up tediously.

Also, I borrowed an idea from Wee - setting multiple properties rather than one per line, so you can now write code such as:

constant win = create(GtkWindow,{ 
    {"name","Main Window"}, 
    {"title","My Window"}, 
    {"background","skyblue"}, 
    {"border width",10}, 
    {"default size",300,400}... 

At first, that doesn't seem like that would make much difference, but it makes large programs smaller and 'cleaner' looking. Maybe faster too, since the settings are all done in one loop, without having to look up objects repeatedly. Also, you can now name any widget, and refer to it as a string, e.g. "Main Window", rather than by handle, if you wish. This was done to accomodate Glade, which names controls for you, as well as to make saving program 'states' easier. Now, you can preserve such things as control settings, window size, color and placement, font preferencess etc. from one run to the next without writing your own "ini" support code.

12. Re: EuGTK for Windows, OSX

irv said...

Will fix in next update, which will have a lot of new features, such as ready-made file and font selectors which can be called with one line of code, instead of having to be set up tediously.

Also, I borrowed an idea from Wee - setting multiple properties rather than one per line, so you can now write code such as:

constant win = create(GtkWindow,{ 
    {"name","Main Window"}, 
    {"title","My Window"}, 
    {"background","skyblue"}, 
    {"border width",10}, 
    {"default size",300,400}... 

At first, that doesn't seem like that would make much difference, but it makes large programs smaller and 'cleaner' looking. Maybe faster too, since the settings are all done in one loop, without having to look up objects repeatedly. Also, you can now name any widget, and refer to it as a string, e.g. "Main Window", rather than by handle, if you wish. This was done to accomodate Glade, which names controls for you, as well as to make saving program 'states' easier. Now, you can preserve such things as control settings, window size, color and placement, font preferencess etc. from one run to the next without writing your own "ini" support code.

Ahem...that looks familiar...<cough>Redy</cough> blink

gui:wcreate({  
    {"name", "winMain"},  
    {"class", "window"},  
    {"title", App_Name},  
    {"size", {400, 350}},  
    {"allow_close", 0}  
})  

Search

Quick Links

User menu