1. Ver 4 problem

When run Euphoria-40b4 the black screen (with the errors in it) comes up minimized.

So I have to open it up every time. Extra work.

I don't have to do this with version 3. It always comes up on top in normal size.

Don Cole

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Ver 4 problem

DonCole said...

When run Euphoria-40b4 the black screen (with the errors in it) comes up minimized.

I don't have to do this with version 3. It always comes up on top in normal size.

I don't know if this issue has been fixed in subsequent releases, but the first thing I recommend you do is stop using an old beta version. There have been a lot of fixes since then. Please let us know if the current release still has this problem.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Ver 4 problem

mattlewis said...
DonCole said...

I don't know if this issue has been fixed in subsequent releases, but the first thing I recommend you do is stop using an old beta version. There have been a lot of fixes since then. Please let us know if the current release still has this problem.

Matt

Good suggestion, but it's the same as Ry's thread http://openeuphoria.org/forum/123129.wc

useless

4. Re: Ver 4 problem

useless_ said...
mattlewis said...
DonCole said...

Good suggestion, but it's the same as Ry's thread http://openeuphoria.org/forum/123129.wc

No, it's very different. 4.0b4 is ancient compared to 4.0.5.

Matt

5. Re: Ver 4 problem

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...
mattlewis said...
DonCole said...

No, it's very different. 4.0b4 is ancient compared to 4.0.5.

Matt

I was not referring to the version number, i was referring to the fact there is no current official release, no big font face anywhere saying "download this to be up to date". Looks to me like someone downloaded v4.0b4 because they thought that was the most recent stable version.

useless

6. Re: Ver 4 problem

useless_ said...

I was not referring to the version number, i was referring to the fact there is no current official release, no big font face anywhere saying "download this to be up to date". Looks to me like someone downloaded v4.0b4 because they thought that was the most recent stable version.

You must be looking at a different page than me. On every page I go to on this site, there is a "downloads" tab right there at the top. 4.0b4 is on the "Previous Releases" page, waaaay down. If you somehow managed to find that link and decided it was the most recent stable version, there is something wrong with you.

I assumed that Don has been using that version for a long time for some reason and has simply never upgraded. Even if it doesn't fix the problem he's having, 4.0.5 is much better, probably a lot faster and definitely less likely to leak memory.

For reference and the terminally lazy, here is what the download page looks like as I post this:

downloads said...

Euphoria v4

For help with selecting a Release, or for ideas as what to do after downloading click here

Current: Euphoria 4.0.5

Released: October 19th, 2012

Binary Releases

Platform Description Link
Linux 32-bit Debian Package for 32-bit systems euphoria_4.0.5_i386.deb
Linux 64-bit Debian Package for 64-bit systems (32-bit euphoria binaries) euphoria_4.0.5_amd64.deb
Linux 32-bit Generic tar/gz package for 32-bit systems euphoria-4.0.5-Linux-ix86.tar.gz
Linux 32-bit Generic tar/bz2 package for 32-bit systems euphoria-4.0.5-Linux-ix86.tar.bz2
Windows Windows installer (standard) euphoria-4.0.5.exe
Windows Windows installer (with OW) euphoria-4.0.5-ow.exe

7. Re: Ver 4 problem

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

You must be looking at a different page than me. On every page I go to on this site, there is a "downloads" tab right there at the top. 4.0b4 is on the "Previous Releases" page, waaaay down. If you somehow managed to find that link and decided it was the most recent stable version, there is something wrong with you.

I assumed that Don has been using that version for a long time for some reason and has simply never upgraded. Even if it doesn't fix the problem he's having, 4.0.5 is much better, probably a lot faster and definitely less likely to leak memory.

For reference and the terminally lazy, here is what the download page looks like as I post this:

downloads said...

Euphoria v4

For help with selecting a Release, or for ideas as what to do after downloading click here

Current: Euphoria 4.0.5

Released: October 19th, 2012

Binary Releases

Platform Description Link
Linux 32-bit Debian Package for 32-bit systems euphoria_4.0.5_i386.deb
Linux 64-bit Debian Package for 64-bit systems (32-bit euphoria binaries) euphoria_4.0.5_amd64.deb
Linux 32-bit Generic tar/gz package for 32-bit systems euphoria-4.0.5-Linux-ix86.tar.gz
Linux 32-bit Generic tar/bz2 package for 32-bit systems euphoria-4.0.5-Linux-ix86.tar.bz2
Windows Windows installer (standard) euphoria-4.0.5.exe
Windows Windows installer (with OW) euphoria-4.0.5-ow.exe

Wow, v4.0.5 from Oct 19, 2012?? That IS ancient. I am using a v4.0.5 from February 11, 2013. Shame there's been no releases since, or that the download page is still issuing a release 4 months OLDER than the one i am using.

useless

8. Re: Ver 4 problem

useless_ said...

Wow, v4.0.5 from Oct 19, 2012?? That IS ancient. I am using a v4.0.5 from February 11, 2013. Shame there's been no releases since, or that the download page is still issuing a release 4 months OLDER than the one i am using.

I don't know what you're talking about. October was when 4.0.5 was released (so say the downloads page and the news on the front page). Did you re-build it in February or something?

FYI, 4.0b4 was released 8/29/2010.

Matt

9. Re: Ver 4 problem

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

I don't know what you're talking about. October was when 4.0.5 was released (so say the downloads page and the news on the front page). Did you re-build it in February or something?

Matt

No, you released it after fixing a couple fatal flaws i found in the October 2012 release, regarding memory leaks and DDLs, loading and UNloading DLLs, and the repeat() bug.

useless

10. Re: Ver 4 problem

eukat said...
mattlewis said...
eukat said...

Matt

No, you released it after fixing a couple fatal flaws i found in the October 2012 release, regarding memory leaks and DDLs, loading and UNloading DLLs, and the repeat() bug.

Looking at the tags, 4.0.5 was released on October 2012. http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/362497032f33 There have been no further releases (or re-releases) since then for the 4.0 line. http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/tags

The fixes you describe were indeed done by Feb of 2013, however they won't be in a released version until 4.0.6 is released. http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/6bae389f572c?revcount=240 http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/dd834258410e?revcount=240

They are also being documented in the release notes for 4.0.6 (rather than 4.0.5). http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/e79275ac5d37/docs/release/4.0.6.txt

The version you are running is technically a pre-alpha 4.0.6 - but it's so pre-alpha that it reports an incorrect version number!

11. Re: Ver 4 problem

eukat said...

Actually, the loading/unloading shared objects fix appears to be a 4.1.0 only update. http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/bdf33aa3d941/docs/release/4.1.0.txt

12. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...
mattlewis said...
eukat said...

Matt

Looking at the tags, 4.0.5 was released on October 2012. http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/362497032f33 There have been no further releases (or re-releases) since then for the 4.0 line. http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/tags

For those needing references like jimcbrown, i refer you to http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/120769.wc , feel free click "view thread" and scroll up if you want to view the fighting and drama in getting the fix done to that point.

jimcbrown said...

The fixes you describe were indeed done by Feb of 2013, however they won't be in a released version until 4.0.6 is released. http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/6bae389f572c?revcount=240 http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/dd834258410e?revcount=240

They are also being documented in the release notes for 4.0.6 (rather than 4.0.5). http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/e79275ac5d37/docs/release/4.0.6.txt

The version you are running is technically a pre-alpha 4.0.6 - but it's so pre-alpha that it reports an incorrect version number!

But the official release of Oct 2012 is known to contain bugs. Why be still releasing it as the current version?! This is infuriating to me, and at least annoying to Ry (as he started that thread about it a week ago, which was never fully answered by any devs). It's infuriating to me because it's as if you are shooting yourself in both feet as to Eu being seen as bugfree and stable, and some of us know you're doing it, and there's nothing we can do about it but complain on the forum like this. The Feb 2013 should be the newest release, in my opinion, unless you are hiding something better.

useless

13. Re: Ver 4 problem

useless_ said...
mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

That was not an official release. What does the version report (eui -v).

Matt

14. Re: Ver 4 problem

eukat said...

For those needing references like jimcbrown, i refer you to http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/120769.wc , feel free click "view thread" and scroll up if you want to view the fighting and drama in getting the fix done to that point.

I looked and couldn't find any there. At most, one could say that it took Matt a few tries to understand that there was still a new leak.

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

But the official release of Oct 2012 is known to contain bugs. Why be still releasing it as the current version?! This is infuriating to me,

There was all sorts of addition things that had to happen (such as regression testing and documentation updates) which is why the Feb 2013 version didn't immediately become a new release.

But this is a moot point, as we're ready to release 4.0.6 and 4.1.0 now.

eukat said...

and at least annoying to Ry (as he started that thread about it a week ago, which was never fully answered by any devs).

Well, Ry is a dev, so I suggest you take up the full answer with him.

eukat said...

It's infuriating to me because it's as if you are shooting yourself in both feet as to Eu being seen as bugfree and stable, and some of us know you're doing it, and there's nothing we can do about it but complain on the forum like this.

Again, Ry is a dev, he can do the entire release by himself if he wanted to. There's nothing (that I know of) stopping him.

eukat said...

The Feb 2013 should be the newest release, in my opinion, unless you are hiding something better.

We do have something better, and we're not hiding it. That's the head of the 4.0 branch, which is ready to become the 4.0.6 release.

15. Re: Ver 4 problem

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...
mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

Matt

dos console said...

C:\Euphoria-10-Feb-2013\bin>eui -v

Euphoria Interpreter v4.0.5 development
Windows, Using Managed Memory
Revision Date: 2013-02-11 02:10:21, Id: 5981:42b209901e89

useless

16. Re: Ver 4 problem

eukat said...
mattlewis said...

Matt

dos console said...

An official release would not (or at least should not) say "vX.X.X development". The word "development" there is a keyword signifying that this is not an official release.

17. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...
mattlewis said...

Matt

dos console said...

An official release would not (or at least should not) say "vX.X.X development". The word "development" there is a keyword signifying that this is not an official release.

Yea, we know. getlost

useless

18. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...

That's very surprising to me. I don't think that 4.0.6 or 4.1.0 are anywhere CLOSE to being ready for release. Then again, maybe I'm thinking of the state of the source from 3-4 months ago. (It was a real mess.)

Not that most of the complainers are doing much to help fix it, but still.

19. Re: Ver 4 problem

jaygade said...
jimcbrown said...

That's very surprising to me. I don't think that 4.0.6 or 4.1.0 are anywhere CLOSE to being ready for release. Then again, maybe I'm thinking of the state of the source from 3-4 months ago. (It was a real mess.)

Speaking only for me, i am not allowed or wanted as a fixer. All i am allowed to do is complain any more.

useless

PS: clicking on the [preview] button for this post didn't show a preview. Neither is clicking it now showing a preview.

20. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

[preview] button not working here either.

Ah, figured it out: Firefox update canceled the permission to use googleapis, which the [preview] button uses.

useless

21. Re: Ver 4 problem

jaygade said...
jimcbrown said...

Actually, things haven't changed much in the past few months, aside from a few more bug fixes to the 4.1 line.

On the other hand, no serious outstanding bugs or issues are currently known. The code may not be as pretty as it could be, but that's hardly a barrier to doing a release.

eukat said...
jaygade said...

Speaking only for me, i am not allowed or wanted as a fixer. All i am allowed to do is complain any more.

Bug reports are considered a form of help, rather than a form of complaint. Finding the bug is often more work than writing the fix for it. In this sense, you are already a helper and a fixer.

And of course, patches are always welcome from anyone.

22. Re: Ver 4 problem

useless_ said...

Speaking for me, I believe yours is a self imposed limitation.

Matt

23. Re: Ver 4 problem

To Matt and others,

Thank you for responces.

I up graded to version 4.0.5.

I get the same problem with the following exception.

The first time I run winwire it comes out on top as it should.

Then each and every time after that it is hidden.

I must click the icon in the windows toolbar to get it to come to the top.

I am running with Edita set at full screen when I start my Euphoria program.

Again I would like to point out that I'm not having any of these problems when I run version 3 in the same manner.

Don Cole

24. Re: Ver 4 problem

To Matt and others,

Thank you for responces.

Again I would like to point out that I'm not having any of these problems when I run version 3 in the same manner.

Don Cole

25. Re: Ver 4 problem

mattlewis said...
DonCole said...

Matt

"using an old beta version"
Anybody going into Sourceforge URL in the right panel will find:
Download
Source for all Unix platforms.
Anybody familiar with Sourceforge, knows that this is usually the connection to the "latest release"
When you download the "source", you get a file "euphoria-src-4.0b2.tar.gz"
Extracting this file you get "euphoria-src-4.0b2.tar"
All the files there are 31st August, 2009 and older.

I can well understand Don Coles confusion.

26. Re: Ver 4 problem

EUWX said...

Download
Anybody familiar with Sourceforge, knows that this is usually the connection to the "latest release"

This is why I don't like using Sourceforge. It seems we tagged specific OSes (like Windoze or OSX) but we didn't have an update BSD or Solaris file, and the last one that was tagged for those was the b2 source file. I've updated Sourceforge to use a newer file as the default for the source for all unix platforms now, by following the instructions here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/20991

If it was up to me and me alone, then I'd drop sourceforge in a heartbeat. The ONLY thing we use it for these days is to host the releases, but we could do that directly on the openeuphoria.org server itself. (Well, there's the mailing list - which is never used these days, but perhaps still around as a backup form of commuication in case the forum goes down.)

EUWX said...

I agree with mattlewis - Don Cole has previously specified using other versions of Euphoria beside 4.0b2 (e.g. he says he's trying out 4.0b4 here: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/122594.wc )

Unless Don Cole says otherwise, I'll continue assuming that the misleading sourceforge link was not the issue for him.

Thanks for reporting the problem.

27. Re: Ver 4 problem

This is the link I am using:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rapideuphoria/files/Euphoria/4.0.5/euphoria-4.0.5.exe/download]]

Which I got from this thread. It's windows standard.

I'm using Windows7 OS.

Don Cole

28. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...
EUWX said...

Download

This is why I don't like using Sourceforge. It seems we tagged specific OSes (like Windoze or OSX) but we didn't have an update BSD or Solaris file, and the last one that was tagged for those was the b2 source file. I've updated Sourceforge to use a newer file as the default for the source for all unix platforms now, by following the instructions here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/20991

If it was up to me and me alone, then I'd drop sourceforge in a heartbeat. The ONLY thing we use it for these days is to host the releases, but we could do that directly on the openeuphoria.org server itself. (Well, there's the mailing list - which is never used these days, but perhaps still around as a backup form of commuication in case the forum goes down.)

EUWX said...

I agree with mattlewis - Don Cole has previously specified using other versions of Euphoria beside 4.0b2 (e.g. he says he's trying out 4.0b4 here: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/122594.wc )

Unless Don Cole says otherwise, I'll continue assuming that the misleading sourceforge link was not the issue for him.

Thanks for reporting the problem.

Whether or not you like Sourceforge is your personal viewpoint. Millions do like it and come to it for Open source software. You might like to understand the general usage by most people who have gone to Sourceforge more than 4-5 times for download. At that point they start downloading the latest release prominently displayed.
You might also have noticed 139 downloads this week. Considering your URL has been for an old download since 2009, and presuming 30% of the people downloaded, and considering about 20% of those downloaded quickly from the Sourceforge displayed prominent URL over this period of time, my very fast Excel calculates over 1700 false downloads.
In the Open source world this amount of misleading would be considered negligence at best.

29. Re: Ver 4 problem

EUWX said...

Whether or not you like Sourceforge is your personal viewpoint. Millions do like it and come to it for Open source software.

How do you know that millions "like" it? Where do your numbers come from?

EUWX said...

You might like to understand the general usage by most people who have gone to Sourceforge more than 4-5 times for download. At that point they start downloading the latest release prominently displayed.
You might also have noticed 139 downloads this week. Considering your URL has been for an old download since 2009, and presuming 30% of the people downloaded, and considering about 20% of those downloaded quickly from the Sourceforge displayed prominent URL over this period of time, my very fast Excel calculates over 1700 false downloads.

I took a look at the weekly per download count. b2 has a count of 5. 4.0.5 combined has a count of 98. 5 out of 139 is 3.5%, smaller than the 6% (20% of 30%) your calculation assumes. (Actually, I suspect most of that came from the extra traffic from this thread.)

Also, remember that, unless you disabled javascript etc or are using an OS other than Linux/GNU, OSX, or Windoze, you should have gotten the correct, latest version in the download link. It was only cases where your browser reported a different OS (or your browser didn't enable javascript etc and sourceforge couldn't tell what OS you were using) that the older version was reported.

EUWX said...

In the Open source world this amount of misleading would be considered negligence at best.

Which is why I don't like sourceforge. It's difficult to use and manage, and it's very easy to make a mistake or oversight like this. We've had releases delayed in part because of stuff like this before. Also, I suspect we'd have had most of our 28,333+ downloads even without sourceforge....

30. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...
EUWX said...

Whether or not you like Sourceforge is your personal viewpoint. Millions do like it and come to it for Open source software.

EUWX said...

Which is why I don't like sourceforge. It's difficult to use and manage, and it's very easy to make a mistake or oversight like this. We've had releases delayed in part because of stuff like this before. Also, I suspect we'd have had most of our 28,333+ downloads even without sourceforge....

If you do not like Sourceforge or do not want to use it, it is your prerogative. However, if you continue to use it as you still are, you should not mislead the public. Also remember, that people are visiting Euphoria at Sourceforge directly from search within Sourceforge or search via Google. In the retail world, your actions are tantamount to false advertising.
The reality though is that you do recognize the value of Sourceforge presence and therefore, you should change your advertising to reflect the current product and its characteristics, AND MAINTAIN YOUR ADVERTS PROPERLY.

31. Re: Ver 4 problem

EUWX said...

if you continue to use it as you still are, you should not mislead the public.

This has been fixed already. If you have evidence of further problems, please post them or file a ticket.

EUWX said...

Also remember, that people are visiting Euphoria at Sourceforge directly from search within Sourceforge or search via Google. In the retail world, your actions are tantamount to false advertising.

You get what you pay for. It's not like we can afford to pay someone full time to dot our i's and cross our t's, so to speak.

Since you're so good at this, I'd recommend that you volunteer for the job ... unfortunately we can't afford to pay you for it.

EUWX said...

The reality though is that you do recognize the value of Sourceforge presence and

I assure you that this statement is false.

32. Re: Ver 4 problem

DonCole said...

To Matt and others,

Thank you for responces.

Don Cole

Hallo

Also i do not use Edita anymore, i remember from the past that your problem sounds like using eui.exe (the console pops up every program you start) for win GUI programs.
Maybe you better use euiw.exe for GUI programs (so the console only pops up if there is an error)

Andreas

33. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...

It was only cases where your browser reported a different OS (or your browser didn't enable javascript etc and sourceforge couldn't tell what OS you were using) that the older version was reported.

I wondered about all the people spending time on this useless talk
There is a link on OpenEuphoria that you just can click and get the last version (just follow the download tab)
Everyone can get freshly builts from the same tab (follow the nightly builts)

There is also a link to the mercurial source, everyone can built there own release.\

I'am with the people that calls for an new offical release, but there are lot off ways to get the last builts.

There is no need to use an old release and I'am pretty sure, if you need a new built someone will do it for you if you ask for.

And yes, i will do it.

Andreas

34. Re: Ver 4 problem

You all have good points. With just a little bit of looking around, it isn't difficult to find a recent build of Euphoria. I don't mean to be harsh, but, think about a what a person may think when they look at the website and see the following information:

• Server Maintenance: Aug 07, 2013. Several months ago, the site may have been down for a few hours. That's good to know....
  • Euphoria 4.0.5 Released! Woohoo! Oh wait...that was Oct 19, 2012...over 1 year ago :'-( So.......are there any new developments?
  • Outage the weekend of June 22nd to 25th: That's good to know....

Ok, so nothing has happened for a year. Moving on....

Obviously, people can figure out how to download a development version, but which one of hundreds of daily builds is the most stable? The one from yesterday? 4 days ago? What about new bugs or experimental features? Should i try one from a month ago for more stability? Or was the last stable version 3 months ago?

I think people would really appreciate it if someone who knows about the developments of Euphoria would write a quick paragraph at least every month or two, explaining the exciting new developments coming up in the next version, and recommended beta versions to download. I think the whole point of the front page is to catch people's attention and attract people to Euphoria. No one expects a new version every few months, I think they just want to see that a new version is under development, and that there will be new features to look forward to. Even if it's a few months away, at least people would know what's going on without combing through hundreds of forum posts or dev-team mail messages.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean to complain, I just want to see Euphoria's "public relations" improve and the Euphoria community to grow. I would volunteer to do it myself, but I don't have time because I'm already busy trying to contribute by writing useful open-source programs in Euphoria.

35. Re: Ver 4 problem

ryanj said...

I don't mean to be harsh, but, think about a what a person may think when they look at the website and see the following information:

• Server Maintenance: Aug 07, 2013. Several months ago, the site may have been down for a few hours. That's good to know....
  • Euphoria 4.0.5 Released! Woohoo! Oh wait...that was Oct 19, 2012...over 1 year ago :'-( So.......are there any new developments?

Agreed. This is a major, serious problem.

ryanj said...

I just want to see Euphoria's "public relations" improve and the Euphoria community to grow.

Same here.

ryanj said...

I think people would really appreciate it if someone who knows about the developments of Euphoria would write a quick paragraph at least every month or two, explaining the exciting new developments coming up in the next version, and recommended beta versions to download. I think the whole point of the front page is to catch people's attention and attract people to Euphoria. Even if it's a few months away, at least people would know what's going on without combing through hundreds of forum posts or dev-team mail messages.

I really like this idea. I think it's brilliant. A monthly summary of what's new and what the release status is.

ryanj said...

I don't have time because I'm already busy trying to contribute by writing useful open-source programs in Euphoria.

That's still better than I. I'm busy with non-Euphoria things...

ryanj said...

I don't have time because I'm already busy

It seems that it's the same for everyone else, sadly.

36. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...
ryanj said...

I don't have time because I'm already busy trying to contribute by writing useful open-source programs in Euphoria.

ryanj said...

Not really, not for everyone else, just maybe true for those you want to help. Those you have decided years ago that you don't want to help, you delete their posts. Like you did already once today.

useless

37. Re: Ver 4 problem

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
ryanj said...

Not really, not for everyone else, just maybe true for those you want to help. Those you have decided years ago that you don't want to help, you delete their posts. Like you did already once today.

mattlewis said...

38. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
ryanj said...

mattlewis said...

1) I did not delete my post on Nov 18.
2) You don't want me editing this website, we've been over that before.
3) My contributions for:
3a) what i put into eunet and http.e was recoded beyond all recognition
3b) my irc.e was refused, and i even offered it to Ry again last week
3c) my taskmsg.e was refused

You got the situation you wanted, don't say everyone is too busy to help you when you don't want the help that's offered.

useless

39. Re: Ver 4 problem

useless_ said...

I cannot understand what point you're trying to make here. But if you're offended by having your code edited by other people, then your decision to stop participating was probably a good one.

Matt

40. Re: Ver 4 problem

eukat said...

1) I did not delete my post on Nov 18.

Conceded.

eukat said...

2) You don't want me editing this website, we've been over that before.

We've never been over that before, afaik.

eukat said...

3) My contributions for:

It's been a while, so I'll address this - just once.

eukat said...

I can't speak for eunet. (m_sabal's not on the dev team and afaik none of the dev team members are active member's of the eunet team). I agree with mattlewis about the rest of this.

eukat said...

3b) my irc.e was refused, and i even offered it to Ry again last week

I can find no record of irc.e being refused by the dev team. If Ry was offered the chance by you to accept it on behalf of the dev team and refused it last week on behalf of the dev team, then he did so wrongly... he also failed to tell anyone else that it had even been offered so recently.

eukat said...

3c) my taskmsg.e was refused

As mattlewis previously pointed out, http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/119312.wc , it was wanted (not refused) but got sidetracked. Sadly, no one has found time to pick it up since. As you also pointed out then,

eukat said...

And since i was writing the taskmsgs.e for a tasks.e version that doesn't exist, and a previous version of Euphoria, i wasn't guaranteeing it would run today.

But of course we can't just add taskmsg.e to the code without guaranteeing that it'll run. So there is at least some work there. It's not a simple copy and paste job that could be done in less than a minute.

Even contending that this was solved (perhaps Ry will find time to get it to work with 4.0.6 over the weekend), we still have a feature freeze currently in place until after 4.0.6 and 4.1.0 are released, so even though we'd accept and hold onto patches, we'd sit on them until after the releases were made.

eukat said...

don't say everyone is too busy to help you when you don't want the help that's offered.

I haven't heard anyone besides ghaberk offer to help do the release. And technically he's already on the dev team!

eukat said...

You got the situation you wanted,

Stop putting words into my mouth. I never said I wanted this situation.

41. Re: Ver 4 problem

jimcbrown said...
ryanj said...

I don't mean to be harsh, but, think about a what a person may think when they look at the website and see the following information:

Agreed. This is a major, serious problem.

ryanj said...

I just want to see Euphoria's "public relations" improve and the Euphoria community to grow.

Same here.

ryanj said...

I think people would really appreciate it if someone who knows about the developments of Euphoria would write a quick paragraph at least every month or two, explaining the exciting new developments coming up in the next version, and recommended beta versions to download. I think the whole point of the front page is to catch people's attention and attract people to Euphoria. Even if it's a few months away, at least people would know what's going on without combing through hundreds of forum posts or dev-team mail messages.

I really like this idea. I think it's brilliant. A monthly summary of what's new and what the release status is.

ryanj said...

ryanj said...

Well, if I can find time to test and update EuGTK more or less monthly, I can find time to update the OE home page now and then. Send me the login info.

42. Re: Ver 4 problem

irv said...

Well, if I can find time to test and update EuGTK more or less monthly, I can find time to update the OE home page now and then. Send me the login info.

Thanks!

I've granted you administrator access. You now have the ability to post new news - click on the news tab and you should see the button to do so.

Feel free to try it out by posting a test news item or two.

43. Re: Ver 4 problem

Thanks, but that doesn't solve the problem. Look at the "Current News" items. Don't seem very current to me. This makes people think that no one is paying attention. Someone needs to edit that page, if only to move those items to the older news category.

44. Re: Ver 4 problem

irv said...

Thanks, but that doesn't solve the problem. Look at the "Current News" items. Don't seem very current to me. This makes people think that no one is paying attention. Someone needs to edit that page, if only to move those items to the older news category.

The way the forum works for news is that, the top few news items are listed on the front page. It grabs the newest ones, but if the newest news items are from a year ago, then that's what ends up being displayed.

(Aside rom posting actual new news,) the only alternative that I can think of is to modify the forum itself so that it simply ignores any news older thansome arbiturary number (e.g. 2 weeks) - in which case the current news part would be empty.

45. Re: Ver 4 problem

Stale news is worse than no news.

I would prefer if there were no running news on the front page. Possibly add a "news archive" button at the top of the web page--that way old news doesn't seem out of place.

Then, as needed, add a news flash on the home page. A time out strategy is needed so the news flash doesn't get stale.

A suggestion for a current news flash is Irv's update to the GTK library. It's of general interest and newsworthy.

Can I get access to the home page? If we take turns updating the home page it would not be a burden to anyone.

_tom

46. Re: Ver 4 problem

_tom said...

I would prefer if there were no running news on the front page. Possibly add a "news archive" button at the top of the web page--that way old news doesn't seem out of place.

Then, as needed, add a news flash on the home page. A time out strategy is needed so the news flash doesn't get stale.

A suggestion for a current news flash is Irv's update to the GTK library. It's of general interest and newsworthy.

Can I get access to the home page? If we take turns updating the home page it would not be a burden to anyone.

_tom

I've given you the same access to add post new news. The other changes you describe require code changes to the forum software. (As a side note, technically you do actually already have developer access to the repo for that.)

47. Re: Ver 4 problem

said...

I've given you the same access to add post new news. The other changes you describe require code changes to the forum software. (As a side note, technically you do actually already have developer access to the repo for that.)

Thanks.

I have created a news item for EuGTK.

As for editing the forum software itself, I don't think I have the talent for that.

_tom

48. Re: Ver 4 problem

_tom said...
said...

Thanks.

I have created a news item for EuGTK.

As for editing the forum software itself, I don't think I have the talent for that.

_tom

Now that I think of it, we probably only need one other news item, or two if the item from August is not recent enough.

Maybe the FluidAE release can be counted as well? http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/123090.wc

Maybe we can do a short news release about the new, ryanj suggested community summary system as well....

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu