1. [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

What is your favorite editor for editing Euphoria code? What features are must have?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

I'm using Crimson Editor right now, but that's because it's what I know, and its interface has some nice shortcuts for me.

If there was something that had intellisense, cold folding, etc., I'd probably switch. I might even be willing to pay for something at this point.

Maybe.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

I'm using the Nexus editor right now. It's ok. It has syntax coloring for win32lib. I'd really like a editor, rather an IDE like Microsoft's Visual Studio. Something with syntax coloring, intellisense, auto-complete and all that good stuff. I'd write something myself, or at least attempt it, but I have trouble figuring out, how you would add syntax coloring to a text editor.

4. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

I've used Vim (Gvim) for awhile now, under both Windows and Linux. However, I was thinking of trying out Geany or Bluefish.

I like quick keyboard navigation and search/replace under Vim, but it can be difficult to set up the syntax coloring, indentation, code folding, etc.

5. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

Geany works best for me.

6. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

jaygade said...

What is your favorite editor for editing Euphoria code? What features are must have?

On Windows, I use Edita for Euphoria and Notepad++ for practically everything else (mostly the C++ stuff for wxEuphoria).

I have been making great strides on certain things recently, and so as a precursor to my Euphoria IDE Project I am breathing new life into my wxEditor project first (for those who just want a good cross-platform editor for Euphoria without the IDE). I've already got Euphoria syntax highlighting and code folding working with the wxStyledTextCtrl from the wxWidgets "contrib" code.

-Greg

7. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

I use PSPad on Windows, which has nice features, but is missing a few things.

8. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

jaygade said...

I use kate.

A must-have for me is to use a vertical list/tree on the side rather than just tabs across the top. The tabs work well enough if you have just a few things open, but I tend to have dozens of files open at any given time.

I'm also a heavy user of kate's session feature. I have saved sessions for different projects, which makes it really easy to quickly get back into working on something.

Split screens are super useful, too. Being able to split a screen and either look at multiple files or at multiple places in the same file is incredibly useful and more convenient than having to open multiple windows.

Matt

9. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

euphoric said...

If there was something that had intellisense, cold folding, etc., I'd probably switch. I might even be willing to pay for something at this point.

Lone_EverGreen_Ranger said...

Something with syntax coloring, intellisense, auto-complete and all that good stuff.

wxStyledTextCtrl supports "intellisense", in a way, through call tips and auto-complete, and getting those working with wxEuphoria is the next big "to-do" item on my list.

euphoric said...

I might even be willing to pay for something at this point.

Maybe.

ORLY?! LOL

Lone_EverGreen_Ranger said...

I'd write something myself, or at least attempt it, but I have trouble figuring out, how you would add syntax coloring to a text editor.

I'm always looking for a little extra help on things. Let me know if you're interested! smile

-Greg

10. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

I use Ultraedit with Ultra compare.
Its commercial, but seems to be the best any language programmers editor out there IMHO.
With respect to those who are trying to roll thier own, how much is your time worth?

11. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

Hallo

I use Edita for Euphoria .
I tried also Notepad++ (and use it sometimes) and Gvim/Cream.

Code folding, Syntax Highlightning and Context-Sensitive Help are the bare minimum for a modern Editor.

Andreas

12. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

alanjohnoxley said...

With respect to those who are trying to roll thier own, how much is your time worth?

Rolling my own, as you put it, is quite important to me. I have yet to find a code editor that I can call home. I've had some that are close, very close in fact. But none have all of the features I want without the things I don't like.

For instance, I personally insist that Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn be used to switch between open files. But most editors use Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab for this function (some use both, which is nice). But to me, although such a keystroke seems logical (they are "tabs" right?) it feels completely and horribly unnatural: I have to either hold the right Ctrl key while pressing Tab, which is weird because I almost never use the right Ctrl key, or hold the left Ctrl with my pinkie and then hit Tab with my ring finger, which is even more uncomfortable. Using Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn is much better for me, because I can hold Ctrl with my left hand and tap PgUp/PgDn with my right hand.

Sorry for the long-winded example, but that's just just one point of many...

-Greg

13. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

In your example of say key-bindings many editors allow you to change what keystrokes are used for doing various functions. There are so many editors out there. Before deciding to write one, like any software project these days, a prospective developer should first research what already exists. It only took me a few minutes to find jEdit, that's what I use. Emacs and vi are famous but I mention them here so as I will not assume anything. There is what our own Jeremy Cowgar wrote.

I think it is worth the investment to look for the editor you want to write. For it may be that someone has written it. Failing that, I look forward to hearing news about an editor designed for use with EUPHORIA from the bottom up. Although there are two like these I know of already.

Shawn

14. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

Before Mike's Editor.

Now only Edita

Don Cole

15. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

It seems the Edita download page has been hijacked. Anybody know how to get Edita now?

16. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

euphoric said...

It seems the Edita download page has been hijacked. Anybody know how to get Edita now?

The hypen link seems to work:

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/118610.wc

17. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

SDPringle said...

In your example of say key-bindings many editors allow you to change what keystrokes are used for doing various functions.

You're absolutely right; many of them do support this. But the question then becomes: how well does that work? I've seen so many editors get the key-association method wrong. Either the dialog used to configure key commands is obtrusive or confusing, or you're restricted to only using certain keys because you can't remove them from other functions, etc.

SDPringle said...

There are so many editors out there. Before deciding to write one, like any software project these days, a prospective developer should first research what already exists. It only took me a few minutes to find jEdit, that's what I use. Emacs and vi are famous but I mention them here so as I will not assume anything. There is what our own Jeremy Cowgar wrote.

I think it is worth the investment to look for the editor you want to write. For it may be that someone has written it.

I have been looking, for years... it's going on decades now. I really like Edita; it's the closest I've come to what I want. But there's two major issues with Edita: it hasn't been receiving regular updates and it's restricted to only Windows. I really need something that is cross-platform because I feel that my productivity drops every time I have to switch editors. And right now, between Windows and Linux, for various things, I use Notepad, Edita, Notepad++, GEdit, Mousepad, Geany, Nano and Visual Studio!.

SDPringle said...

Failing that, I look forward to hearing news about an editor designed for use with EUPHORIA from the bottom up. Although there are two like these I know of already.

My goal for wxEditor has always been to establish the functionality I use in Edita every day, and then build on it more from there. I'm finally starting to get to that point. I've been developing more actively in the last 3-4 months than I have in the past 3-4 years.

-Greg

18. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

ghaberek said...

My goal for wxEditor has always been to establish the functionality I use in Edita every day, and then build on it more from there. I'm finally starting to get to that point. I've been developing more actively in the last 3-4 months than I have in the past 3-4 years.

-Greg

This is a worthy investment imvho. I look forward to hearing more about wxEditor! (As well as the future IDE projects.)

19. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

At work I use the editor in the Embarcadero XE2 IDE. You have no idea how miserable that makes me.

Unfortunately I've ruled out wxEuphoria, as recently discussed, so I'm still looking for the right cross platform kit. I keep on thinking about intellisense-<Please wait while Online F1 is initialised. tvBrowse->TopItem but it is just so Popup(damn int,int) annoying and bloody rubbish in XE2 it puts me right off.GetNodeAt(int x,int y)) syntax error.

Otherwise suggestions to improve Edita are always welcome.

Pete

PS If I remember when I get home, I'll post a list of recent fixes to Edita not yet released.
Forked into: On ruling out wxEuphoria (forked)

20. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

jimcbrown said...
euphoric said...

The hypen link seems to work:

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/118610.wc

Ah... Thanks jim.

The working link: Edita Code Editor

21. Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

jaygade said...

I've used Vim (Gvim) for awhile now, under both Windows and Linux. However, I was thinking of trying out Geany or Bluefish.

I like quick keyboard navigation and search/replace under Vim, but it can be difficult to set up the syntax coloring, indentation, code folding, etc.

Of the GUI editors, I like Geany the best by far. It is very configurable. The configuration files might need to be tweaked a bit to better support code folding.

My favorite editor is still my heavily modified version of ed.ex. I have tried to leave ed.ex behind many times, but in the end I have found that I really don't like taking my right hand away from the keyboard to use the mouse. Also, I prefer the horizontal "panes" to windows that are hidden by tabs. Ed.ex's native search/replace may be too simple for advanced tastes but you can always shell out and run Jiri Babor's little utility program "replace.ex". Indeed, it would not be difficult at all to incorporate Jiri's code into ed.ex.

Although I have used Euphoria for years (I think I may have used Euphoria longer than any other active member of the forum ), I am probably still a novice level programmer. But the ed.ex code is easier to modify than the configuration files of most GUI editors.

I think code folding would be a great feature for ed.ex, unfortunately, I think implementing that feature is far beyond my abilities.

Regards, Kenneth Rhodes

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu