said...
said...

euc sanity.ex
Build directory: ...
Translating code, pass: 1 ... 11 generating
Compiling with Watcom
Compiling 1% init-.c
Couldn't compile file 'init-.c'
Status: -1 Command: wcc386 /dEWINDOWS /bt=nt /mf /w0 /zq /j /zp4 /fp5 /fpi87 /5r /otimra /s /Ic:\Euphoria init-.c

I think you may not have Watcom correctly installed / configured. I just tried 4.0.5 on Windows and interpreted and translated and compiled with Watcom, it passed.

_tom said...

If an easy to install C compiler is available for Windows users (and it is easy for developers to maintain) then that is the "best" choice.

The actual compiler choice should not matter.

I find Watcom to be generally easier to deal with on Windows (aside from 64-bits, of course). MinGW seems easiest to deal with IME under MSYS, but is slow as molasses. I often set up a Linux VM and cross compile. Mind you, this is when developing euphoria or wxEuphoria, both of which have a lot of compiling to do when I'm working on them.

Matt

I forked this because the issue is my installation of Euphoria and not if Watcom should be dropped.

There is a thread on this topic already " Couldn't compile file 'init-.c' " The error messages are similar.

• I had expected that the Euphoria package with watcom to set things up automatically.
  • I did not expect to search the forum for a solution.
  • I did make a mess of the paths and other variables, lost patience, and returned to Linux

How about an outline of how to fix this problem that I can add to the documentation?

TOM

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: OpenWatcom install problem

I've had this problem on each of my installations of Euphoria - and it has always been the paths to the various Watcom folders not set up correctly by the batch file - fix that, and it works like a dream.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: OpenWatcom install problem

Thanks for the encouragement.

I downloaded Watcom separately and installed it. Then I installed Euphoria.

Compiles and works great.

What remains is how to describe an installation process to someone who would be trying Euphoria for the first time. What is the path of least resistance?

TOM

4. Re: OpenWatcom install problem

I am curious Tom,

There have been issues with where Watcom is installed in the past. Where did you install Watcom? Did you install it in C:\ or under C:\Program Files? If you installed C:\Program Files, did you use the 8.3 'short' name hack? This would look like 'C:\Progra~1\WATCOM'.

Shawn Pringle

5. Re: OpenWatcom install problem

SDPringle said...

I am curious Tom,

There have been issues with where Watcom is installed in the past. Where did you install Watcom? Did you install it in C:\ or under C:\Program Files? If you installed C:\Program Files, did you use the 8.3 'short' name hack? This would look like 'C:\Progra~1\WATCOM'.

Shawn Pringle

I seem to recall that spaces in path/filename was a watcom issue.

useless

6. Re: OpenWatcom install problem

SDPringle said...

There have been issues with where Watcom is installed in the past. Where did you install Watcom? Did you install it in C:\ or under C:\Program Files? If you installed C:\Program Files, did you use the 8.3 'short' name hack? This would look like 'C:\Progra~1\WATCOM'. Shawn Pringle

My Windows Watcom installation is c:/euphoria/watcom; chosen by the Euphoria installer. This install did not compile prorams. When I installed the full OW (on top of this install) I installed again to c:/euphoria/watcom, except this time the OW installer set up the paths correctly. I did not use any short filename hacks. After the full installation of OW programs do compile.

I am assuming that c:/euphoria/watcom is the default path that euc.exe is using.

My guess is that I initially messed up the paths when the installer (recognizing a previous Eu install) asked if I wanted to append the Euphoria paths--and I just clicked go ahead.

A new experiment:

On Linux, I installed the Euphoria-OW package using Wine. This version did not compile programs. I installed the full OW package on top this install. I compiled and ran taskwire.ex under Wine.

The OW compiler complains about wcc386.exe being not available but still works.

TOM

7. Re: OpenWatcom install problem

Useless is correct on the subject of spaces in the path causing problems. I wanted the installer to put 8.3 paths for EUPHORIA but that idea was shot down.

Shawn Pringle

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu