1. making a dll

Looks like i cannot make a dll, WATCOM isn't set, and there's no data about what to set it to.

DerekParnell said...
gbonvehi said...

I've the feeling that Watcom was being deprecated as supported from Euphoria ...

Yes it is being deprecated. This is because Watcom does not, and will not be, supporting 64-bit architectures. We use GCC on linux and MingW on Windows.

I uninstalled Watcom some time ago now so I'm not able to help with the exact issue reported.

Yet win4.0.4 ships with WATCOM, which isn't working, and nothing tells me what the environment variable WATCOM is.

useless

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

Looks like i cannot make a dll, WATCOM isn't set, and there's no data about what to set it to.

DerekParnell said...
gbonvehi said...

I've the feeling that Watcom was being deprecated as supported from Euphoria ...

Yes it is being deprecated. This is because Watcom does not, and will not be, supporting 64-bit architectures. We use GCC on linux and MingW on Windows.

I uninstalled Watcom some time ago now so I'm not able to help with the exact issue reported.

Yet win4.0.4 ships with WATCOM, which isn't working, and nothing tells me what the environment variable WATCOM is.

I thought that should have been set by the installer (it's been a long time since I've installed Watcom or euphoria on Windows). Either way, the WATCOM variable should point to the WATCOM directory. On my VM, I have:

C:\>set watcom 
WATCOM=C:\WATCOM 

Personally, I like to translate using the -makefile option, since it preserves the C code automatically, and makes it easy to tweak stuff and rebuild.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: making a dll

eukat said...
DerekParnell said...
gbonvehi said...

eukat

Derek seems to work exclusively in 4.1 now. 4.1.0 will have OpenWatcom support removed. The last 4.0 release, 4.0.5, will be the last release to have OpenWatcom support.

The 4.0.4+OW installer should have taken care of this automatically, and the variable will be set after you reboot.

The environment variable is documented, just not by us:

ftp://openwatcom.mirrors.pair.com/readme.txt

http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Unattended_Installation

I'm curious as to way you didn't try this link below:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=open+watcom+environment+variable&nfpr=&spell=1

4. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...

Derek seems to work exclusively in 4.1 now. 4.1.0 will have OpenWatcom support removed. The last 4.0 release, 4.0.5, will be the last release to have OpenWatcom support.

Then why not include some way to provide Eu downloaders with the correct compiler instead of the incorrect one?

jimcbrown said...

The 4.0.4+OW installer should have taken care of this automatically, and the variable will be set after you reboot.

I don't reboot computers for the heck of it. Plus i don't use just one version of Eu, so i don't want default pointers.

jimcbrown said...

That's odd, because Eu stresses the ability to convert to C code, even to the point of not having features that work in the interpreter, because they won't work in the translated code. Like the task_yield in http.e. You stress being able to compile, but provide no support for compiling other than to say "go read compiler sites"?

jimcbrown said...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=open+watcom+environment+variable&nfpr=&spell=1

Because i use Euphoria, so i looked in the Euphoria manual, forum, and wiki.

useless

5. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...
jimcbrown said...

Then why not include some way to provide Eu downloaders with the correct compiler instead of the incorrect one?

Uh, because it already does!

useless_ said...
jimcbrown said...

I don't reboot computers for the heck of it. Plus i don't use just one version of Eu, so i don't want default pointers.

It's hard to know how to respond to this, given that I don't think you specified how you installed Watcom, but I suspect you're familiar enough with environment variables and probably with installing software on Windows to understand what's going on here.

useless_ said...
jimcbrown said...

That's odd, because Eu stresses the ability to convert to C code, even to the point of not having features that work in the interpreter, because they won't work in the translated code. Like the task_yield in http.e. You stress being able to compile, but provide no support for compiling other than to say "go read compiler sites"?

Being able to compile translated euphoria code assumes that you have an appropriate compiler installed. It sounds like you haven't met this requirement for some reason.

Matt

6. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

Being able to compile translated euphoria code assumes that you have an appropriate compiler installed. It sounds like you haven't met this requirement for some reason.

Matt

But i did run the installer provided by OpenEuphoria on the download pages. I elected to not have environment variables set, because they'd be set to Eu v4.0.4 specs in every dos window i ever opened after that. I will be happy to set the environment so the translator works properly, if i only knew what to set to what, and that data isn't provided by OpenEu, and Watcom isn't in the business of providing Eu-specific environmental variables.

useless

7. Re: making a dll

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

It is the correct compiler. It works.

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Then you need to run setenv-ow.bat as detailed in http://openeuphoria.org/ticket/575.wc and http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/104674.wc and http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/104896.wc

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

That's odd, because Eu stresses the ability to convert to C code,

You stress being able to compile, but provide no support for compiling other than to say "go read compiler sites"?

Yes. We're a small dev team and it is easier for us to rely on the much bigger OpenWatcom team for OpenWatcom documentation rather than trying to reinvent the wheel here.

eukat said...

even to the point of not having features that work in the interpreter, because they won't work in the translated code. Like the task_yield in http.e.

I don't remember this. task_yield works in translated code, and even if this was not the case, it is a simple ifdef to get the benefits of task_yield only in interpreted mode.

(task_yield does not work when translated as a shared object, but like I said above and on IRC, it's a simple ifdef.)

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Because i use Euphoria, so i looked in the Euphoria manual, forum, and wiki.

eukat

But you also missed the links on the forum (this forum) that describe setenv-ow.bat ?

8. Re: making a dll

eukat said...
mattlewis said...
eukat said...

Matt

But i did run the installer provided by OpenEuphoria on the download pages. I elected to not have environment variables set, because they'd be set to Eu v4.0.4 specs in every dos window i ever opened after that. I will be happy to set the environment so the translator works properly, if i only knew what to set to what, and that data isn't provided by OpenEu, and Watcom isn't in the business of providing Eu-specific environmental variables.

eukat

Hmm, actually the installer should have a prompt that informs you about the setenv-ow.bat option. If it doesn't (or if it's in a place that's easy to miss) then that's a bug in the installer that needs to be fixed. But running c:\euphoria\setenv-ow.bat in the command prompt where you want to run the translator should do the trick.

9. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...

But you also missed the links on the forum (this forum) that describe setenv-ow.bat ?

Correct, that is a combination of letters i didn't search for. I also didn't search for setwatcom.bat, setenvwat.bat, watcomvars.txt, and many many other combinations of letters. I did search for translator.exe, trans.exe, EuTran.exe, ext.exw, eut.exe, and one or two others like that.

useless

10. Re: making a dll

Ok, this just happened, it's a copy/paste from the dosbox:

C:\Euphoria-4.0.4>setenv-ow.bat 

C:\Euphoria-4.0.4>euc.exe -DLL C:\Euphoria-4.0.4\dll_tasks\kats_tasks.e 
Build directory: build-918447\ 
Translating code, pass: 1 2 3 4  generating 
Compiling with Watcom 
Compiling   1% init-.c 
Couldn't compile file 'init-.c' 
Status: -1 Command: wcc386  /dEWINDOWS /bd /bt=nt /mf /w0 /zq /j /zp4 /fp5 /fpi87 /5r /otimra /s /Ic:\EUPHOR~1.4 init-.c 
Warning { override }: 
    <0222>:: C:\Euphoria-4.0.4\dll_tasks\kats_tasks.e:12 - built-in routine task_yield() overridden 
and i see no DLL anywhere, so i am guessing it didn't work. Why didn't it work?

useless

11. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

Ok, this just happened, it's a copy/paste from the dosbox: ........ and i see no DLL anywhere, so i am guessing it didn't work. Why didn't it work?

useless

Consider using dosrescue2.zip available at http://rghost.net/5465760

12. Re: making a dll

EUWX said...
useless_ said...

Ok, this just happened, it's a copy/paste from the dosbox: ........ and i see no DLL anywhere, so i am guessing it didn't work. Why didn't it work?

useless

What am i rescuing?

useless

13. Re: making a dll

EUWX said...
useless_ said...

useless

The file was removed. Currently sources of the library are available at https://bitbucket.org/insolor/dos_rescue/src

Btw, I suspect useless_ meant the console window under "dosbox", so there nothing to rescue indeed :)

14. Re: making a dll

eukat said...

C:\Euphoria-4.0.4>euc.exe -DLL C:\Euphoria-4.0.4\dll_tasks\kats_tasks.e 
Build directory: build-918447\ 
Compiling with Watcom 
Compiling   1% init-.c 
Couldn't compile file 'init-.c' 
Status: -1 Command: wcc386  /dEWINDOWS /bd /bt=nt /mf /w0 /zq /j /zp4 /fp5 /fpi87 /5r /otimra /s /Ic:\EUPHOR~1.4 init-.c 
Warning { override }: 
    <0222>:: C:\Euphoria-4.0.4\dll_tasks\kats_tasks.e:12 - built-in routine task_yield() overridden 
and i see no DLL anywhere, so i am guessing it didn't work. Why didn't it work?

eukat

Status: -1 means it couldn't create the process for wcc386. Typically this means that wcc386 is not in your path, but it should have been since you ran setenv-ow.bat

Double check that wcc386.exe exists in c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binnt or c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binw and also look at setenv-ow.bat to make sure that it sets the path correctly. Importantly, check the percent signs to make sure that none are missing.

15. Re: making a dll

Insolor said...
EUWX said...
useless_ said...

useless

The file was removed. Currently sources of the library are available at https://bitbucket.org/insolor/dos_rescue/src

Dosrescue is for getting all the old DOS pixel graphics routines to work on other operating systems. That has nothing to do with what Kat is doing.

I would recommend using the -makefile option to translate. That way the translator won't eat any of the output from Watcom.

> euc -dll -makefile kats_tasks.e 

41.c files were created. 
To build your project, type make -f kat_tasks.mak 

> wmake -f kat_tasks.mak 

Yes, it says make, but Watcom's make is actually wmake. Of course, I don't know what Watcom was encountering, but in translating this sort of thing, I've run into problems with name collisions from my translated euphoria routines and routines from the euphoria run time library (eu.lib - which the dll links).

Matt

16. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
Insolor said...
EUWX said...
useless_ said...

useless

Dosrescue is for getting all the old DOS pixel graphics routines to work on other operating systems. That has nothing to do with what Kat is doing.

Matt

Thanks for correcting me. Considering that Euphoria 4 is not compatible with DOS, I presumed it would not work properly with the old DosBox, and thought of rescuing useless from himself/herself using dosresue designed specifically for use with Euphoria 4..

17. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...

Double check that wcc386.exe exists in c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binnt or c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binw and also look at setenv-ow.bat to make sure that it sets the path correctly. Importantly, check the percent signs to make sure that none are missing.

There's a wcc386.exe in \WATCOM\binnt

useless

18. Re: making a dll

EUWX said...

Thanks for correcting me. Considering that Euphoria 4 is not compatible with DOS, I presumed it would not work properly with the old DosBox, and thought of rescuing useless from himself/herself using dosresue designed specifically for use with Euphoria 4..

When she said "dosbox" she just meant the console.

Matt

19. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...
jimcbrown said...

Soooooo....is \watcom\binnt in your PATH?

Matt

20. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...
jimcbrown said...

Matt

No:

C:\Euphoria-4.0.4>path 
PATH=c:\Euphoria-4.0.4\bin;WATCOMPATH 

C:\Euphoria-4.0.4> 

useless

21. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...
mattlewis said...
useless_ said...
jimcbrown said...

Matt

No:

What do you suppose you should do about that?

Matt

22. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Matt

Matt +1 !

You need both binnt and binw in your PATH btw. I'm not sure what the nature of the dependencies between the set of files and binaries in the two directories are exactly, but I'm certain it won't work unless both are in the PATH in the right order.

23. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...
eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Matt

Matt +1 !

You need both binnt and binw in your PATH btw. I'm not sure what the nature of the dependencies between the set of files and binaries in the two directories are exactly, but I'm certain it won't work unless both are in the PATH in the right order.

Yeas, way to go Matt! Who wrote setenv-ow.bat to do something other than what you both are suggesting be done?

useless

24. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

Yeas, way to go Matt! Who wrote setenv-ow.bat to do something other than what you both are suggesting be done?

I don't know (I'd guess either Jeremy or Shawn). But I'm pretty sure you're computer savvy enough to not require this level of hand holding. Perhaps your next nick could be helpless.

But looking at the installer code, it seems like you must have installed watcom some other way at some point to get it to install into the root of the C drive instead of where euphoria gets installed. It's not terribly surprising to me that mixing different installer stuff doesn't work seamlessly.

Matt

25. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

I don't know (I'd guess either Jeremy or Shawn). But I'm pretty sure you're computer savvy enough to not require this level of hand holding. Perhaps your next nick could be helpless.

Ok, i can do that. Tell me to run the installer, it does not work correctly, i can't guess what you wanted it to actually do, ergo i am "helpless", yep, i can see that working for you.

mattlewis said...

But looking at the installer code, it seems like you must have installed watcom some other way at some point to get it to install into the root of the C drive instead of where euphoria gets installed. It's not terribly surprising to me that mixing different installer stuff doesn't work seamlessly.

Matt

I ran the exe installer downloaded from the OpenEu download page. I ran the setenv-ow.bat file. It did not do what you wanted, i do not know what you want it to do, i can't make it do what you want it to do being i do not know why it is the way it is.

helpless

26. Re: making a dll

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...
eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Matt

Matt +1 !

Yeas, way to go Matt!

I was refering to the fact that you did not follow all of my instructions, and Matt repeated one of them for me. Specifically, this one:

said...

also look at setenv-ow.bat to make sure that it sets the path correctly.

Actually, nevermind, he didn't really repeat it. I wanted to see the contents of your setenv-ow.bat , which hasn't happened yet.

eukat said...

Who wrote setenv-ow.bat to do something other than what you both are suggesting be done?

eukat

I'll probably know the answer to this once I see what yours looks like.

27. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

I ran the exe installer downloaded from the OpenEu download page. I ran the setenv-ow.bat file. It did not do what you wanted, i do not know what you want it to do, i can't make it do what you want it to do being i do not know why it is the way it is.

OK, then if you ran it, and assuming it installed to c:\euphoria, then you should have c:\euphoria\watcom. Do you have that? All of the Watcom stuff should be in that directory. The installer sets environment variables for Watcom, too. It adds the WATCOM variable and also puts the appropriate directories in the PATH.

Since your machine apparently doesn't have any of this, I hope you can see why I'm skeptical about the installer that you used. Now, it's also perfectly fine to use Watcom that you've installed yourself. I have this on my Windows machines. The normal Watcom installer (IIRC) sets the PATH and WATCOM and INCLUDE variables. You don't have any of these either.

Maybe that's because you didn't reboot or something. Sorry, we can't change the way Windows works. I'm not sure what else could be the problem.

Matt

28. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...

Actually, nevermind, he didn't really repeat it. I wanted to see the contents of your setenv-ow.bat , which hasn't happened yet.

Then use these words:

Please copy/paste your setenv-ow.bat to us here 
and then i'd do:

@ echo off 

REM 
REM Set the environment for this installation of Euphoria 
REM 

SET EUDIR=c:\Euphoria-4.0.4 
SET WATCOM=c:\Euphoria-4.0.4\watcom 
SET PATH=%EUDIR%\bin;%WATCOM\binw;%WATCOM%\binnt;%PATH% 
SET INCLUDE=%WATCOM%\h;%WATCOM%\h\nt 

My Eu V4.0.4 is indeed at c:\Euphoria-4.0.4\

Blaming me and then windose for your bat file not working properly is bad form.

helpless

29. Re: making a dll

After fixing the incorrect PATH statements in setenv-ow.bat, i re-ran the procedure to make a DLL, and got a DLL.

I believe the dev crew who wrote the .bat file might want to fix it , and put in the missing % symbol.

And i am owed an appology.

helpless (at Matt's request)

30. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

After fixing the incorrect PATH statements in setenv-ow.bat, i re-ran the procedure to make a DLL, and got a DLL.

I believe the dev crew who wrote the .bat file might want to fix it , and put in the missing % symbol.

We're quite sorry that there is a bug in the batch file that comes with the installer.

Please submit a bug ticket to make sure that it gets properly fixed. In your ticket, it would be best to explain the fix, as this will make the process easier for the maintainer.

Matt

31. Re: making a dll

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Then use these words:

Please copy/paste your setenv-ow.bat to us here 

I think my original wording was pretty clear. Still, I'll keep this in mind for the future.

eukat said...

and then i'd do:

@ echo off 

REM 
REM Set the environment for this installation of Euphoria 
REM 

SET EUDIR=c:\Euphoria-4.0.4 
SET WATCOM=c:\Euphoria-4.0.4\watcom 
SET PATH=%EUDIR%\bin;%WATCOM\binw;%WATCOM%\binnt;%PATH% 
SET INCLUDE=%WATCOM%\h;%WATCOM%\h\nt 

My Eu V4.0.4 is indeed at c:\Euphoria-4.0.4\

Blaming me and then windose for your bat file not working properly is bad form.

helpless

1) It's not my bat file. I don't consider it my responsibility. I don't do Windoze development, someone else broke it (and someone else will have to fix it).

2) I don't recall blaming you. If you believe this is true, I'd like to see a direct quote.

3) I blame windoze for a lot of things. So does windows on freenode.

4) Things like this are the reason why I don't work on Windoze anymore. (Unless I'm paid, of course!)

32. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

We're quite sorry that there is a bug in the batch file that comes with the installer.

I thought you were objective enough and man enough to applogise for suggesting i ran the installer wrong, set up a separate WATCOM installation wrong, and should use the nick "helpless".

mattlewis said...

Please submit a bug ticket to make sure that it gets properly fixed. In your ticket, it would be best to explain the fix, as this will make the process easier for the maintainer.

Matt

Get serious, why would i want to tackle the entire dev team again over a bug i have reported and any of you can read here? I've tried to get bug fixes done before, but you didn't fix them and instead you ran me off. To go to the trouble of making a ticket is to go looking for more hassle.

33. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

I thought you were objective enough and man enough to applogise for suggesting i ran the installer wrong, set up a separate WATCOM installation wrong, and should use the nick "helpless".

I'm sorry. I guess I misinterpreted your answer, "There's a wcc386.exe in \WATCOM\binnt," to the request to, "Double check that wcc386.exe exists in c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binnt or c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binw," as evidence that something other than the bundled installer put Watcom onto your system. I suppose that you didn't technically actually say, "No, it's not in the path you asked about."

I was assuming that you were trying to give straight and helpful answers, and I suppose I read too much into that statement, and was misled in the process. When you give evasive answers like that in the future, I suppose I'll just have to repeat the question until you answer it (or at least until you decide that your evasiveness is evidence that no one wants to help you and refuse to provide any more non-answers).

useless_ said...
mattlewis said...

Get serious, why would i want to tackle the entire dev team again over a bug i have reported and any of you can read here? I've tried to get bug fixes done before, but you didn't fix them and instead you ran me off. To go to the trouble of making a ticket is to go looking for more hassle.

I have stopped trying to understand your motives. You demand we fix a bug about which you cannot give accurate details or give straight answers to simple questions.

I'm just stating the obvious: if you don't put a ticket in, it's more likely to fall through the cracks. I can only assume that you're not really interested in getting it fixed. This goes for pretty much any bug or improvement that anyone finds or desires. I would say the same thing to anyone else on the forum, and have done so many times.

Matt

34. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

I'm sorry. I guess I misinterpreted your answer, "There's a wcc386.exe in \WATCOM\binnt," to the request to, "Double check that wcc386.exe exists in c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binnt or c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binw," as evidence that something other than the bundled installer put Watcom onto your system. I suppose that you didn't technically actually say, "No, it's not in the path you asked about."

I was assuming that you were trying to give straight and helpful answers, and I suppose I read too much into that statement, and was misled in the process. When you give evasive answers like that in the future, I suppose I'll just have to repeat the question until you answer it (or at least until you decide that your evasiveness is evidence that no one wants to help you and refuse to provide any more non-answers).

I have not use this phrase "c:\euphoria\" to describe my Eu installation, and the path "c:\euphoria\" is not required to install any Euphoria version. While i have a "c:\euphoria\", the watcom path/files are not there, as that is not where i told version 4.0.4 to install. The most useless and truthful and direct answer to your question is "no, there is no watcom anything in "c:\euphoria\". The fact there is no watcom there is also totally immaterial to the issue at hand, and in the spirit of your question, the most material and (also) most truthful responce is the one i gave. Or i could tell you it's not in "c:\euphoria\", and we could try till hell freezes over to put WATCOM in c:\euphoria\ and run it against files in c:\Euphoria-4.0.4\ with the combination of wrong path (as set in the downloaded install file) and wrong path (as in that's not where my 4.0.4 files are). You prefer to call me evasive and not answering the question, then you cannot question me nick'ing myself "useless" or "helpless" or any other nick you believe describes me.

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...
mattlewis said...

I have stopped trying to understand your motives. You demand we fix a bug about which you cannot give accurate details or give straight answers to simple questions.

I have no motives other than making the program work as advertised. You said to follow your steps (which i'll do except for rebooting, that's a waste of time and not necessary), and i followed your steps, and i relied on the buggy setenv-ow.bat, and it did not do what it was purported to do. I cannot help it that no one else found this bug in the years it's been released. And i didn't write the code that does the translating, so i can't know where it expects to find files, so i am not likely to guess correctly what the correct PATH is.

I am not demanding you fix anything. I want my installation to work. Please feel free to continue saying the install program works correctly with the bugs.

mattlewis said...

I'm just stating the obvious: if you don't put a ticket in, it's more likely to fall through the cracks. I can only assume that you're not really interested in getting it fixed. This goes for pretty much any bug or improvement that anyone finds or desires. I would say the same thing to anyone else on the forum, and have done so many times.

Matt

And i am guessing that after reporting it here, and in the irc channel, if you don't fix it, i am assuming you are not interested in fixing it. My experiences tell me i don't want to go head-to-head (again) against the dev team to get the bugs fixed in the released version.

helpless and useless

35. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

I have not use this phrase "c:\euphoria\" to describe my Eu installation, and the path "c:\euphoria\" is not required to install any Euphoria version. While i have a "c:\euphoria\", the watcom path/files are not there, as that is not where i told version 4.0.4 to install. The most useless and truthful and direct answer to your question is "no, there is no watcom anything in "c:\euphoria\". The fact there is no watcom there is also totally immaterial to the issue at hand, and in the spirit of your question, the most material and (also) most truthful responce is the one i gave.

No. The most material you could have given would have been something like, "Actually, when I installed, I installed to another directory, and there is a watcom directory there." I guess you like giving pedantically correct answers and watching others misinterpret them due to them having to post questions whose assumptions exactly match details about your system that only you would know.

useless_ said...

Or i could tell you it's not in "c:\euphoria\", and we could try till hell freezes over to put WATCOM in c:\euphoria\ and run it against files in c:\Euphoria-4.0.4\ with the combination of wrong path (as set in the downloaded install file) and wrong path (as in that's not where my 4.0.4 files are). You prefer to call me evasive and not answering the question, then you cannot question me nick'ing myself "useless" or "helpless" or any other nick you believe describes me.

Yes! Look, see, you do know what a helpful answer might be. Now I'm thinking "likepullingteeth" would also be an improvement.

useless_ said...

I have no motives other than making the program work as advertised. You said to follow your steps (which i'll do except for rebooting, that's a waste of time and not necessary), and i followed your steps, and i relied on the buggy setenv-ow.bat, and it did not do what it was purported to do. I cannot help it that no one else found this bug in the years it's been released. And i didn't write the code that does the translating, so i can't know where it expects to find files, so i am not likely to guess correctly what the correct PATH is.

ZOMFG. Then why don't you drop the passive aggressive routine and try to give more helpful answers? People (especially Jim and I) have been trying to help you. It's really hard when you refuse to help yourself by assuming that any answer that makes bad assumptions is evidence of persecution and not, oh, I don't know, bad assumptions or a mistake?

useless_ said...

I am not demanding you fix anything. I want my installation to work. Please feel free to continue saying the install program works correctly with the bugs.

I don't think I ever said the installer was bug free. I don't think anyone else said the installer was bug free. I think you gave misleading answers that made it difficult / impossible to diagnose. I'll have to get my psychic debugger looked at, because clearly it was on the fritz today.

useless_ said...
mattlewis said...

And i am guessing that after reporting it here, and in the irc channel, if you don't fix it, i am assuming you are not interested in fixing it. My experiences tell me i don't want to go head-to-head (again) against the dev team to get the bugs fixed in the released version.

OK, now I'm thinking that maybe selfdestructive or selfsabotage would be even better.

Matt

36. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

I have not use this phrase "c:\euphoria\" to describe my Eu installation, and the path "c:\euphoria\" is not required to install any Euphoria version. While i have a "c:\euphoria\", the watcom path/files are not there, as that is not where i told version 4.0.4 to install. The most useless and truthful and direct answer to your question is "no, there is no watcom anything in "c:\euphoria\". The fact there is no watcom there is also totally immaterial to the issue at hand, and in the spirit of your question, the most material and (also) most truthful responce is the one i gave.

No. The most material you could have given would have been something like, "Actually, when I installed, I installed to another directory, and there is a watcom directory there." I guess you like giving pedantically correct answers and watching others misinterpret them due to them having to post questions whose assumptions exactly match details about your system that only you would know.

useless_ said...

Or i could tell you it's not in "c:\euphoria\", and we could try till hell freezes over to put WATCOM in c:\euphoria\ and run it against files in c:\Euphoria-4.0.4\ with the combination of wrong path (as set in the downloaded install file) and wrong path (as in that's not where my 4.0.4 files are). You prefer to call me evasive and not answering the question, then you cannot question me nick'ing myself "useless" or "helpless" or any other nick you believe describes me.

Yes! Look, see, you do know what a helpful answer might be. Now I'm thinking "likepullingteeth" would also be an improvement.

I am thinking that changing the topic to what's in C:\euphoria\ isn't helpful and is a waste of time, but that IS what you asked about. I tried to stay on topic, which is the bat file wasn't working. The bat file was incorrect, and apparently has been for years. The bat file would not have worked no matter what the path to \WATCOM\. Discussing c:\euphoria\ is like telling me to run DOSRESCUE to fix the problem. You know euphoria can be installed in different places, i gave you my c:\path in irc and in this forum:

Both you and jim answered my post with my stated path, and then went on about c:\euphoria\. And you are still hung up on that.

mattlewis said...

OK, now I'm thinking that maybe selfdestructive or selfsabotage would be even better.

Matt

Ok. Will you be crediting the bug reports to these nicks?

selfdestructive and selfsabotaging and helpless and useless

37. Re: making a dll

Folks this is the kind of thing to expect when reporting bugs. You'll get beaten to death about the cloud of stuff all around the bug, whether or not there is anything wrong in the cloud, and then you'll be attacked personally. It's been this way for years. And the bug is likely to stay in place.

Forked into: How to make a useful bug report

38. Re: making a dll

This is what i see:

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

\\ 
<snip> 

<snip>
Double check that wcc386.exe exists in c:\euphoria\WATCOM\binnt
<snip>

And to me, that's "changing the topic", or "creating a diversion". To me, that's something to write off to human oddness, something to ignore. I gave you the correct path i use, you both asked about a different path that has nothing to do with the topic. No doubt explaining this to you will result in more namecalling.

39. Re: making a dll

doomedtorepeatherself said...

Folks this is the kind of thing to expect when reporting bugs. You'll get beaten to death about the cloud of stuff all around the bug, whether or not there is anything wrong in the cloud, and then you'll be attacked personally. It's been this way for years. And the bug is likely to stay in place.

Yes, when you continually attack the people who try to help you, they might treat you like anyone else! You, too, can make yourself feel miserable! Over and over!

Matt

40. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
doomedtorepeatherself said...

Yes, when you continually attack the people who try to help you, they might treat you like anyone else! You, too, can make yourself feel miserable! Over and over!

Matt

I didn't start it, i reported it wasn't working, i reported i couldn't make a DLL. I gave you the info i believed you asked for. I didn't call you names. I didn't tell you about any irrelevant files or paths. I tried to keep this to irc. I just want Euphoria to work.

selfdestructive and selfsabotaging and helpless and useless and doomedtorepeatherself

41. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

This is what i see:

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

\\ 
<snip> 

<snip>
<snip>

And to me, that's "changing the topic", or "creating a diversion". To me, that's something to write off to human oddness, something to ignore.

Haha, yes, I'm sure someone trying to help you was just doing random things. It's always a good idea to ignore that sort of thing. Nothing good can come from paying attention.

useless_ said...

I gave you the correct path i use, you both asked about a different path that has nothing to do with the topic. No doubt explaining this to you will result in more namecalling.

I thought you wanted name calling. Sorry, I was just following your example.

Matt

42. Re: making a dll

eukat said...

This is what i see:

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

\\ 
<snip> 

<snip>
<snip>

And to me, that's "changing the topic", or "creating a diversion". To me, that's something to write off to human oddness, something to ignore. I gave you the correct path i use, you both asked about a different path that has nothing to do with the topic. No doubt explaining this to you will result in more namecalling.

But you answered the part where I asked you to double check! It was the following sentences - the stuff that would have allowed us to solve the bug an hour earlier - that you ignored!

43. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

This is what i see:

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

\\ 
<snip> 

<snip>
<snip>

And to me, that's "changing the topic", or "creating a diversion". To me, that's something to write off to human oddness, something to ignore.

Haha, yes, I'm sure someone trying to help you was just doing random things. It's always a good idea to ignore that sort of thing. Nothing good can come from paying attention.

I didn't say it was random. And like whoever said i needed to try DOSRESCUE, i never assume help was intended. I did pay attention to the reply, i found it confusing, but i did my best to stay on topic.

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

I gave you the correct path i use, you both asked about a different path that has nothing to do with the topic. No doubt explaining this to you will result in more namecalling.

I thought you wanted name calling. Sorry, I was just following your example.

Matt

My example?

selfdestructive and selfsabotaging and helpless and useless and doomedtorepeatherself (at Matt's request)

44. Re: making a dll

eukat said...
mattlewis said...

Matt

A strange attitude for someone who was very recently responsible for getting in a number of http.e related bug fixes in (e.g. the Content-Length fixes and adding task_yield()).

http://openeuphoria.org/ticket/781.wc http://openeuphoria.org/ticket/782.wc

45. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...
mattlewis said...

Matt

A strange attitude for someone who was very recently responsible for getting in a number of http.e related bug fixes in (e.g. the Content-Length fixes and adding task_yield()).

And it took only 4 years to have those recognised.

Jim, i don't know why Matt is going off against me so intensely, i only know it's happening.

useless

46. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...
jimcbrown said...

Imagine how much quicker it could have been if the tickets were put in back then.

useless_ said...

Jim, i don't know why Matt is going off against me so intensely, i only know it's happening.

Bullshit. We've been trying to help you, and you've been pulling your typical martyr routine. ("Oh, I'm useless, nobody likes me. Everyone ignores my requests. You owe me an apology. Every development decision and effort is designed to thwart my plans. Your proposed solution isn't appropriate, and I won't discuss it, and you're a horrible person for suggesting I change the way I do something. Someone disagrees with me, so I must be a worthless person.")

Note that, after previous episodes, I've always been willing to help and discuss euphoria stuff with you.

Matt

47. Re: making a dll

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...
mattlewis said...

Matt

That's what happens when you don't follow the normal procedures for filing tickets and stuff.

We try our best, but things get forgotten.

eukat said...

eukat

Seems pretty mild from where I'm sitting. Reminds me of some great Matt-Jeremy banter from the IRC channel, now that I think of ...

48. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...
jimcbrown said...

Imagine how much quicker it could have been if the tickets were put in back then.

useless_ said...

Bullshit. We've been trying to help you, and you've been pulling your typical martyr routine. ("Oh, I'm useless, nobody likes me. Everyone ignores my requests. You owe me an apology. Every development decision and effort is designed to thwart my plans. Your proposed solution isn't appropriate, and I won't discuss it, and you're a horrible person for suggesting I change the way I do something. Someone disagrees with me, so I must be a worthless person.")

Note that, after previous episodes, I've always been willing to help and discuss euphoria stuff with you.

Matt

And i respected you for that. You've been civil. This current behavior is bewildering, you've been acting like CK previously did, and for your insinuations that i made errors, and calling me names, i believe you do owe me an appology.

I report a bug, sometimes i even fix it for you, and i get attacked just like in this thread, and you call it a "martyr routine"? Like Jim just said in his post, it keeps happening to me, whatever you call it.

useless

49. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...
mattlewis said...

Matt

That's what happens when you don't follow the normal procedures for filing tickets and stuff.

We try our best, but things get forgotten.

Has it really been 4 years? http://openeuphoria.org/forum/108771.wc

Of course, you have had other bug reports that were promptly dealt with:

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/108396.wc

50. Re: making a dll

useless_ said...

And i respected you for that. You've been civil. This current behavior is bewildering, you've been acting like CK previously did, and for your insinuations that i made errors, and calling me names, i believe you do owe me an appology.

I'm sorry. I don't want to be angry. I really dislike getting into this sort of a thread. I was using the other name suggestions to lash out, because I thought they described a pattern in your behavior. It's frustrating, because every thread comes back to you accusing me (and others) of intentionally disregarding anything you do or say, which I think is clearly and obviously wrong.

That's all I have to say on this topic. I don't plan to respond to anything else in this thread unless it gets back on the topic of actually making a dll.

Matt

51. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...

Has it really been 4 years? http://openeuphoria.org/forum/108771.wc

Of course, you have had other bug reports that were promptly dealt with:

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/108396.wc

While http://openeuphoria.org/forum/108771.wc is the classic fight example, no, the content-length bug existed and was reported in 2008. In 2009, the 2008 bug wasn't fixed, so i was already useless, and saw no need to report the fix to the 2009 bug until the 2008 bug was dealt with.

useless

52. Re: making a dll

Matt: The situation arose primarily because of excessive spoon feeding.
Instead of giving exact batch files, it would be better to give instructions like:
"Make sure you have the path of......set to....." before you proceed.
"Install file ...... in the directory where you have ......., etc etc"
Anybody working at this level of software should know enough about batch files to create their own, and should have enough knowledge about Paths and environment variables.
Then you would not need to rescue anybody.

53. Re: making a dll

EUWX said...

Instead of giving exact batch files, it would be better to give instructions like:
Anybody working at this level of software should know enough about batch files to create their own, and should have enough knowledge about Paths and environment variables.

I agree. We are badly in need of updates to the wiki for this.

54. Re: making a dll

jimcbrown said...
EUWX said...

I agree. We are badly in need of updates to the wiki for this.

I agree.

useless

55. Re: making a dll

mattlewis said...

Matt

I'll file the ticket and make the fix. I know I said I wouldn't, and I really hate Windoze, but I'm willing to bite the bullet on this one for you, eukat.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu