1. Off Topic: Long-Standing Moratorium on Trolling

Forked from Re: Off Topic: English Grammar, Spelling, colloquialisms, etc.

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

That's what I thought. I believe that you and the original poster and I can use our time more efficiently than rereading all of our posts and trying to correct every single typo in them. My posts alone would probably take a massive effort to bring up to shape.

Response to troll.

I admire your honesty, but I would like to remind everyone that trolling is a bannable offense on these forums.

I feel that a healthy community on a forum includes lax moderation and a vibrant set of off-topic discussions. This does not include trolling.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Off Topic: Long-Standing Moratorium on Trolling

I'm about to delete all these idiotic threads about grammar and spelling.

Feel free to beat me to it.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Off Topic: Long-Standing Moratorium on Trolling

jimcbrown said...

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

That's what I thought. I believe that you and the original poster and I can use our time more efficiently than rereading all of our posts and trying to correct every single typo in them. My posts alone would probably take a massive effort to bring up to shape.

Response to troll.

I admire your honesty, but I would like to remind everyone that trolling is a bannable offense on these forums.

I feel that a healthy community on a forum includes lax moderation and a vibrant set of off-topic discussions. This does not include trolling.

MY honesty? Please reparse what i said! I typed a response to your trolling. I called you a troll. Your recent posts seem to serve no point but to get me to make another post to clarify or rebut some absurdity you spout. Just like this one. How else can you possibly interpret what i said as me saying that i am trolling???

useless

4. Re: Off Topic: Long-Standing Moratorium on Trolling

Kat said...

... Please reparse what i said! I typed a response to your trolling. I called you a troll. Your recent posts seem to serve no point but to get me to make another post to clarify or rebut some absurdity you spout...

I agree with Kat here, Jim. I don't think that she was trolling at all.

5. Re: Off Topic: Long-Standing Moratorium on Trolling

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Response to troll.

MY honesty? Please reparse what i said! I typed a response to your trolling. I called you a troll.

Now I understand. Your original sentence was ambiguous.

eukat said...

Your recent posts seem to serve no point but to get me to make another post to clarify or rebut some absurdity you spout.

How ironic then that in one of the quotes you responded to (here : http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/117961.wc ), the last line of my quote is a recommendation that you stop.

In another quote (here : http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/117962.wc ) I affirm my agreement with you and make a self-deprecating joke. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't too important. I just wanted to point out that not everything I write is about argument.

If I see something that I believe is inaccurate, or uses flawed logic, then I respond with my point of view. I don't always expect a response, and I'm typically content to leave things there if there is no response. I am not being emotional about any of this, and I'm certainly not attempting to provoke an emotional response from anyone.

A small handful of things that I've dropped, just in this thread and its parent (and for which I feel no response is actually necessary):

Question regarding what previous apology I still owed to you (if any).

Question over whether or not it is NWO or NGO.

Your lack of response to pronounciation changing over time.

You are pronouncing temperature incorrectly.

No counter-argument to my logic regarding cowards.

etc.

Of course, I've chosen not to respond to other statements as well:

mattlewis's point that since he had trouble when reading "your" vs "you're", asking users to correct their typos or misspellings in this case is reasonable (though it sounds like this is more of a minor annoyance to him than a serious problem).

jaygade's point that monetary is misspelled.

What AndyDrummond meant when he choose to leave the question about typos hanging.

Your various examples demonstrating how those speaking in dialect have unintentionally caused frustration.

etc.

The important thing to remember is this: sometimes, when people are debating facts, one party will admit that they're wrong and the other one is correct. Othertimes, it is the other party that admits that they're wrong. Often, neither party is convinced by the other and they end up having to agree to disagree. Every single one of these outcomes is acceptable in my book.

eukat said...

Just like this one.

Realistically speaking, the nature of this thread would have generated responses. I considered this an unpleasant side-effect rather than something to be desired. I would have been contented to have this thread have only my single warning addressed to the entire readership of the forum.

eukat said...

How else can you possibly interpret what i said as me saying that i am trolling???

Previous to that sentence, I did not interpret anything you have said on this thread as trolling. In fact, it was a big surprise to see it.

In fact, the closest thing that I can think of are your congrats and withdrawal of it, which looked like insults but - even if you had meant them as such - are clearly not an example of trolling. In light of your post to this thread, the concept that you had not realized that those words could be insulting looks a lot more plausible to me.

6. Re: Off Topic: Long-Standing Moratorium on Trolling

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

... Please reparse what i said! I typed a response to your trolling. I called you a troll. Your recent posts seem to serve no point but to get me to make another post to clarify or rebut some absurdity you spout...

I agree with Kat here, Jim. I don't think that she was trolling at all.

I also agree. Aside from that one confusing sentence, I did not see any evidence of trolling.

Still, I feel that an implication is being made here, one which you may or may not have intended. It sounds like you agree with Kat that I am trolling.

I vehemently disagree.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu