1. Search and Nostalgia

Forked from Re: Indexing Euphoria HTML Documentation for context sensitive help

I'm going to assume your new nick is a commentary on fsck, the Unix file system checker (or possibly on fsck Next Generation, whatever that might be). To be fair, fsck can be pretty stupid. I recall one time when I ran e2fsck on a filesystem image that I had previously mounted over CIFS. I understand that I basically shot myself in my own foot in doing so, but e2fsck still took several hours (with me sitting at the keyboard responding to its prompts) to "repair" it - but I'd have gotten the same result a lot faster if I simply ran mke2fs on it.

I do want to point out to any reader who might stumble upon this thread that using nicks that contain or resemble obscenities is generally a bannable offense.

From my personal perspective, I'm totally cool with your new nick (assuming that you aren't making a negative comment about your level of intelligence, something that I would vehmently disagree with).

eukat_ said...
jimcbrown said...

I was there, in 2008. I was impressed that you managed to come up with a working system from nothing in a day or two.

Thanks. I used hackserv by bjackson, which used code by jconsuegra and gharris, and DCuny's win32lib v0.42, all glued to the backside of mirc to be the irc presence. I wish i could remember who helped with the php code later.

I never got to see this. You actually started the irc search on July 4th! However, you didn't discuss using http or ftp to give long worded answers until July 13th (when I said it'd be better to answer a question from IRC through IRC), and then you were gone July 15th.

I had no idea you had added Euphoria code back into Tiggr, seeing that it was already long gone before then.

eukat_ said...
jimcbrown said...

There are technical difficulties with using IRC bots exclusively for that functionality (such as the difficulties of putting a web page on the web to search or allowing others to do off-line searches), which leaves the door open for other approaches to spring up and co-exist side-by-side.

I had a system for Tiggr to respond to publicly available webpages via any browser. You contact the site with your search criteria, the site used php to contact Tiggr at my home, and she'd generate a reply and wrap it in html back to the php on the server, and the php on the commercially hosted site forwarded this to you transparently. This solves some major problems with irc when dealing with a lot of data, data needing formatting, or with pictures. Like asking her what an AT32UC3L064 is.

In the late 1990's, Tiggr even recieved and sent email, no one ever used it.

This must all have been before my time. Today, eubotmar2 has a similar feature with email, but no one really uses it.

eukat_ said...

People complained bitterly about having the http link to the answer when the question was asked on irc. And they wouldn't ask Tiggr thru a browser interface as simple as a Google box in a browser window. No matter how much code i wrote, or data i made available, it was never acceptable.

Good luck. I am truely wondering how you'll ever satisfy more than just yourself with this.

eukat

I can see how one group of people might want just a web page to do their search with results on the web and nothing more than a "Powered By Tiggr" logo. Another group might want to be able to ask questions on IRC and get all the answered via the same medium. A third group might want the ability to ask on IRC and get a link to a web page that can be downloaded for offline use later. Some of that group might want temporary links, gone after the first page view. Others might want permlinks that will be on the net for years. A fourth group might want to be able to query Tiggr on the go via a web page, but then get home and view the results on IRC later.

I think it's possible to satisfy a lot of people, but it's not possible to satisfy everyone.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu