1. EuIUP - Now Alpha

Iup (Portable User Interface) is a cross platform GUI toolkit that functions on Windows and *nix systems. An alpha Carbon driver now exists for OS/X but is not stable. This toolkit is now 100% wrapped in Euphoria via the EuIUP project. With EuIUP you have access to 100% of the Iup commands, the vast majority of the Canvas Draw commands (100% will be coming soon) and eventually the more than 250 image manipulation commands via the IM library.

Iup does not draw it's own widgets as some cross platform GUI toolkits do. Iup wraps native widgets. On *nix systems you have the choice of the GTK or the Motif GUI toolsets.

Included are all common controls, tree, table, canvas, Ole (on Windows), web browser widget (WebKit or IE based), OpenGL, Multi-touch devices, TUIO, chart graphing and more.

With the last control wrapped (Ole control on Windows), EuIUP has moved to Alpha status. This means that it would be nice to have people start to use it in non-production environments. Bugs will be found and changes will take place. Moving forward things that will happen are convience methods to make the wrapper more euphoric. So, things will only get easier.

The Library is wrapped in 100% Euphoria. I'd like to open it up for others to begin using it and reporting tickets. Things will change and being in an alpha status, some bugs may exist so if you decide to use it keep this in mind. I'll do my best to fix bugs found ASAP but would also be greatful for patches smile Also looking for user feedback and feature requests making it even easier to use than it already is (it is a very easy library already).

You can learn more about EuIUP on it's home page: http://jeremy.cowgar.com/euiup ... BTW. The entire site there is generated right from the EuIUP source tree via the new tools w/4.0 eudoc and creolehtml.

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

There was a missing dll in the runtime package for Windows. If you previously downloaded iup-runtime-3.3.0.zip please download iup-runtime-3.3.0-r1.zip for a complete DLL package. The portion affected was use of the plotting library.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

home/jstory/Downloads/euiup/demos/hello.ex:22 
A machine-level exception occurred during execution of this statement 
Line 22 is:
iup:open()

4. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

Sorry guys, one more. I think this has it now. It was all working on my system but I guess I had a few DLLs hidden away in my system path that it needed.

iup-runtime-3.3.0-r2.zip

Sorry about people having to do testing for something so simple.

Jeremy

5. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

Jerry_Story said...

home/jstory/Downloads/euiup/demos/hello.ex:22 
A machine-level exception occurred during execution of this statement 
Line 22 is:
iup:open()

There are two issues here.

1. A bug in Euphoria that was just fixed as we found this problem. Although, that bug fix will only provide a more informative message in this case, i.e. the C method being called is invalid.
  2. It doesn't seem as though you have Iup installed on your system? Your error message is typical when it cannot load the shared library.

Did you install Iup? If so, what does ldd /usr/lib/libiup.so report?

Thanks for testing.

Jeremy

6. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

jeremy said...

Sorry guys, one more. I think this has it now. It was all working on my system but I guess I had a few DLLs hidden away in my system path that it needed.

iup-runtime-3.3.0-r2.zip

Sorry about people having to do testing for something so simple.

Jeremy

Do you have something to make it run on Linux?

7. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

Jerry_Story said...

No, because all Linux distros are different, diff libc's, gtk versions, etc... getlost I'm going to ask on the Iup mailing list how others distribute it. You may compile iup via sources or try the Linux binary packages available on the Iup website, http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/ ... Click on Download. I do wish it to be easier for this for our Linux friends, but other GUI libraries you have to go through basically the same thing, either install via Package Manager or compile from sources. Now, as I found w/Matt, Iup is not part of the Ubuntu package manager thus it's probably not part of many peoples Linux distros to where Gtk or wxWidgets probably is seeing that they are more popular.

I compiled Iup on Linux w/o issue (Debian), but I compile all the time. I don't know about others.

Jeremy

8. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

jeremy said...
Jerry_Story said...

No, because all Linux distros are different, diff libc's, gtk versions, etc... getlost I'm going to ask on the Iup mailing list how others distribute it. You may compile iup via sources or try the Linux binary packages available on the Iup website, http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/ ... Click on Download. I do wish it to be easier for this for our Linux friends, but other GUI libraries you have to go through basically the same thing, either install via Package Manager or compile from sources. Now, as I found w/Matt, Iup is not part of the Ubuntu package manager thus it's probably not part of many peoples Linux distros to where Gtk or wxWidgets probably is seeing that they are more popular.

I compiled Iup on Linux w/o issue (Debian), but I compile all the time. I don't know about others.

Jeremy

As I understand it, all versions of glibc are backwards compatible. So if you compile against the oldest, it will work on all later versions.

I believe the same is at least true of gtk 2.

Using something like http://statifier.sourceforge.net/rrp_statify/ or http://www.magicErmine.com/ would be nice, but I am not sure if they can be used to create shared or static libraries.

9. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

Does this library work with Eu 3.1.x or is this for 4.x and over.

Thanks

10. Re: EuIUP - Now Alpha

cp said...

Does this library work with Eu 3.1.x or is this for 4.x and over.

Hello. This library is 4.x and later. It uses all sorts of new features in 4.x.

Jeremy

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu