1. Open Call for DOS Developers

Forked from Re: Version 4.1.4b No Longer Supports Dos

DerekParnell said...
bugfinder said...

I had a lot of code written for 4.0 that I dropped because of the loss of DOS support.

The source code is open source. Anyone can take a copy of the code and modify it for their own needs. You can get the v3 code and add in the stuff you like about v4 or get the v4 code and add DOS support. No one is preventing you from doing that.

The main reason we dropped DOS support is that we have no developers that are willing to support it. If you can get someone who wants to take on that workload they are welcome to join the dev team.

DOS support was not dropped because we don't like DOS. As Microsoft advances Windows, it is becoming harder to implement the DOS code in modern Windows systems, and it will soon get to the point where you will only be able to run DOS applications - regardless of which computer language is used - on old (unsupported) versions of Windows or DOS.

There other solutions ... anyone know of someone who can join the team to support DOS?

I'm going to go further. I am now asking for anyone who is interested in doing the work of reviving DOS support in v4 of Euphoria, to come forward.

The latest version of Euphoria to support DOS is located here (older than v4b2)

https://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rapideuphoria/dos/trunk/

The complete source code.

For convenience, you can download a complete tarball of the DOS Euphoria source code here:

http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/dos/trunk.tar.gz?view=tar

Now, the current dev team has been so busy that we haven't been able to even keep the DOS Euphoria code in sync and up to date with the latest changes in main Euphoria. We also know of one significant bug with DOS Euphoria that has not been fixed (using call_back() in DOS will cause a machine level exception). It was the inability of any person to solve that bug that led to the entire dev team realizing that maintaining DOS Euphoria was no longer feasible.

I am willing to accept patches to the DOS Euphoria code, either to bring the branch back in sync with the current Euphoria v4 line, or to fix the call_back() bug and other bugs discovered in the DOS branch that are specific to the DOS code.

Now, I want to go further, and propose the creation of a DOS development team - part of but also separate from the main dev team, one that is dedicated to maintaining and improving the DOS Euphoria code. However, before I take that drastic step, I need to know that such a measure is feasible. No DOS development team can exist if we have no one able and willing to do the DOS development.

If you are interested in joining this effort, all you have to do is download the source code and start coding.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Version 4.1.4b No Longer Supports Dos

It's my understanding some long-time bugs in v3 were fixed in the early v4 before dos was dropped, or maybe after dos was dropped. Is it faintly possible to back track only the bug fixes (memory leaks, whatever) to the last v4 that did run ok on dos? Maybe it wasn't even called v4 at the time, i forget.

And maybe a few of the long-sought new features? Like the one Derek fixed last week, the "release all file handles when the app is terminated and before the interpreter pops up error msgs"?

This wouldn't be a version supported in the future, it would be only a bug-fixed, slightly improved v3, maybe v4.0.0.0.1?

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

jimcbrown said...

We also know of one significant bug with DOS Euphoria that has not been fixed (using call_back() in DOS will cause a machine level exception). It was the inability of any person to solve that bug that led to the entire dev team realizing that maintaining DOS Euphoria was no longer feasible.

svn:4515 of the DOS trunk branch should fix this.

jimcbrown said...

I am willing to accept patches to the DOS Euphoria code, either to bring the branch back in sync with the current Euphoria v4 line, or to fix the call_back() bug and other bugs discovered in the DOS branch that are specific to the DOS code.

If you are interested in joining this effort, all you have to do is download the source code and start coding.

So far, no responses. Not a single one!

4. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

jimcbrown said...

But you guys convinced me that i am useless. I finally believe you.

useless

5. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

useless said...
jimcbrown said...

useless

Hi Kat,

Outside of the automatic forum quoting or nick tab completion, I've never called you useless. Please don't slander me this way.

Thanks.

6. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

jimcbrown said...
useless said...
jimcbrown said...

useless

Hi Kat,

Outside of the automatic forum quoting or nick tab completion, I've never called you useless. Please don't slander me this way.

Thanks.

I believe that is a true statement. You have not addressed me as the nick "useless". Likewise, i have not addressed you as "TerrificProgrammer", yet we remain these things.

useless

7. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

HI Kat 
The last version of ver4 that supported DOS that I 
know was working was SVN1705 . 

That was the version before Jeremy decided to change 
names of interpreter binaries. 

The names were still exw.exe ex.exe at that point. 

Versions after the names were changed became all messed up 
and I couldn't build anything  for DOS after that worked. 

Soon after that DOS was dropped. 

8. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

zebra said...

HI Kat 
The last version of ver4 that supported DOS that I 
know was working was SVN1705 . 

That was the version before Jeremy decided to change 
names of interpreter binaries. 

The names were still exw.exe ex.exe at that point. 

Versions after the names were changed became all messed up 
and I couldn't build anything  for DOS after that worked. 

Soon after that DOS was dropped. 

The last eubin with DOS support was r2434 which had euid.exe and is available for a limited time from http://jeremy.cowgar.com/eubins/windows/eu40-2434.zip

At some point perhaps shortly after the name change, ShawnPringleBSC changed makefile.wat to use eui.exe to build euid.exe - this change was to allow Jeremy to build the DOS eubin on Windows 7 but broke the makefile for anyone who tried to build Euphoria on DOS alone.

I did hear back from one person who expressed, uh, enthusiasm at reviving the DOS port. I haven't heard back from this person since Sunday but maybe has only weekend availablity.

9. Re: ARM Updates

There is now a dos emulator for the RPi, i vote Euphoria v4+ run on it too.

http://www.geek.com/games/dos-emulator-lets-you-play-classic-pc-games-on-a-raspberry-pi-1544350/

useless

10. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

eukat said...

The one (rather insulting) person who seemed interested disappeared after the one day. That was over two years ago.

11. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

Hello

Years ago I published your "Open Call" at freedos.org mail lists.

Rugxulo, one of the main Freedos developers show some interest on Eu for DOS, but there was a lot of problems with sources, was not possible to compile the last Eu for DOS.

Freedos continue as active project, they miss a good interpreted program...

12. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

achury said...

Hello

Years ago I published your "Open Call" at freedos.org mail lists.

Thank you again for doing that.

achury said...

Rugxulo, one of the main Freedos developers show some interest on Eu for DOS,

It looks like that person was the rather irritating guy I talked to on IRC.

achury said...

but there was a lot of problems with sources, was not possible to compile the last Eu for DOS.

If http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=9244 is accurate, then all the issues encountered were really trivial ones (configure.bat needs some fixes to run with command.com instead of cmd.exe, someone needs to provide pre-translated sources for a --without-euphoria DOS build, perhaps some minor makefile.wat changes to make sure we only build the docs and so on after we've built a new source binary, etc).

If someone sent me a copy of the list of build errors and errors running configure.bat on command.com, I could probably make the relevant changes myself. I wish that Rugxulo had returned to the IRC channel when these issues were encountered so I could help fix it, though I understand having a lack of spare time to dedicate to such an endeavour.

(As an aside, I always found it ironic that Shawn Pringle fought to keep DOS support in the end when he helped kill it in the first place (by breaking the build for DOS-only users when he rewrote the makefile to use exw.exe to build ex.exe,trying to solve a problem that I had already solved before).)

On the back burner, if there was no interest in reviving a full MSDOS port of Euphoria, I had on the back burner a plan to create a DJGPP only "UDOS" port, which would levage DJGPP's POSIX compatibility and provide limited to no support for the DOS specific stuff (graphics, allocate_low, dos_interrupt, etc), instead requiring users to write their own machine code and use call() to implement those features. I figure that this should require only minimal changes to current pre-4.1 sources.

The reason that we chose not to keep a build for DOS going was because the amount of code in Euphoria to support DOS, which was never used in any other platform, was extensive (Jeremy said it was a huge percentage of Euphoria's overall code line count at the time, he had a specific number but I can't recall what it was at the time). That was a huge amount of dead code to allow to bitrot. I guess we could have kept a minimalist infrastructure for DOS going though, stripping that out but leaving behind the #ifdefs so a DOS build would still be possible instead of removing everything.

achury said...

Freedos continue as active project, they miss a good interpreted program...

Someone here claimed that we should drop DOS due to a lack of interest in it, but in the same thread, Arjay claims that there may not be enough interest in Euphoria to support a DOS port revival. (If the HX DOS Extender works for Cygwin's gcc, it'd probably just work for eui.exe as well.)

13. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

jimcbrown said...

(As an aside, I always found it ironic that Shawn Pringle fought to keep DOS support in the end when he helped kill it in the first place (by breaking the build for DOS-only users when he rewrote the makefile to use exw.exe to build ex.exe,trying to solve a problem that I had already solved before).)

Please don't libel me in this way. The Makefile was broken many but many times. Using exwc vs. ex.exe in a makefile is a really trivial change and trivial to change back if it were a problem. We simply didn't have the resources to port to DOS32 the features that were being written for Linux and Windows only. That being said, I would have preferred to offer this alternative to those whose applications do not require the features of modern OSes to prevent e-waste.

I also wanted the configure script to not assume memory addresses returned by malloc would always be a multiple of 8 by default. This was essential to working in a DOS environment in which malloc doesn't always return addresses as a multiple of 8. Because I am not admin, I didn't have the final say on this. So now, if you take euphoria 4.0.0 and try to run it on a Windows 95 box it will die with an assertion code error. Yuck.

One can either refuse to upgrade anything or they must eventually drop their computers into landfills. As programs break compatibility with older OSes and as programs and OSes demand more and more hardware, you eventually cannot upgrade EUPHORIA without upgrading the OS, you can't upgrade the OS without upgrading hardware. Eventually your motherboard cannot be upgraded any further and you must buy a new computer.

[edited for structure] I believe EUPHORIA will work with Windows 2000 or newer.

Shawn Pringle

14. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

SDPringle said...
jimcbrown said...

Please don't libel me in this way.

I contend that this is not libel because 1) it is true, as you admit below, and 2) it does not do offense to your character (you were, after all, trying to improve the quality of eubins, which I find a notable goal).

SDPringle said...

The Makefile was broken many but many times.

Agreed.

SDPringle said...

Using exwc vs. ex.exe in a makefile is a really trivial change and trivial to change back if it were a problem.

What I disagree with here is that you made this change unilaterally, without discussing the merits of it on the dev list or the forum, which meant that there was no way to suggest alternatives or improvements (such as including a special target that unconditionally used ex.exe so DOS users could keep building, or a special eubins-DOS target that only the eubins server and other windoze 7 users would have needed to invoke). Instead I didn't realize that this had been changed until many months after the fact.

My understanding was that you made this logical change due to be able to build the dos binaries on a windows 7 system. I have no objection to that on principle, but we had a workaround (EUDOS) that allowed building the DOS binaries using ex.exe on Windoze 7, so this was (at the time) unnecessary. (With the advent of Windoze 8 and the complete dropping of DOS support, this would no longer work and your change, in hindsight, was necessary.)

Also, could we really have said that we supported DOS back then, if a DOS user could not build Euphoria out of the box but had to engage in Makefile hacking first?

SDPringle said...

We simply didn't have the resources to port to DOS32 the features that were being written for Linux and Windows only.

Agreed.

SDPringle said...

That being said, I would have preferred to offer this alternative to those whose applications do not require the features of modern OSes to prevent e-waste.

A shame then, that the DOS branch apparently doesn't even build out of the box now.

But yes, I agree with you here.

SDPringle said...

I also wanted the configure script to not assume memory addresses returned by malloc would always be a multiple of 8 by default.

I don't understand this. How can you directly call malloc() from a batch file? Or even a shell script????

SDPringle said...

This was essential to working in a DOS environment in which malloc doesn't always return addresses as a multiple of 8.

We have align4 code as part of managed memory. That should have taken care of this.

SDPringle said...

Because I am not admin, I didn't have the final say on this. So now, if you take euphoria 4.0.0 and try to run it on a Windows 95 box it will die with an assertion code error. Yuck.

I believe EUPHORIA will work with Windows 2000 or newer.

Shawn Pringle

I was under the impression that a) if you build the binaries yourself, you just had to configure with --align4 to enable this, and b) all the official releases were suppose to be built with ALIGN4 on for the 9x users. (I also recall Derek's strong disagreement with this when we did one of the releases and his refusal to ever build a binary with align4 support.)

Can you identify when align4 support was removed? I just checked trunk and it looks like it's still in there.

15. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

The one (rather insulting) person who seemed interested disappeared after the one day. That was over two years ago.

My responce to this was deleted, who was the person who disappeared?

useless

16. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

My responce to this was deleted, who was the person who disappeared?

Rugxulo

17. E-waste

jimcbrown said...
SDPringle said...

This was essential to working in a DOS environment in which malloc doesn't always return addresses as a multiple of 8.

We have align4 code as part of managed memory. That should have taken care of this.

Ah but I have always said the *default* should be what will work on the greatest number of systems. Though you are right, it should have taken care of things the distributor forgot and we released something that needed Win2k or newer to run.

jimcbrown said...

Can you identify when align4 support was removed? I just checked trunk and it looks like it's still in there.

Well, what I meant to say is that it isn't default and I think it is a bad thing that it isn't the default. Support was never removed AFAIK but what I know is seldom up to date about EUPHORIA. I have not really looked at the build process lately. I have become busy with other things.

I have more rewarding things to do than program for free right now. Think of this as a good thing. I think people would rather buy a new computer than pay a little bit to port 4.0 code to 3.1 code (which is far more feasible than porting 4.0 to DOS) and so, I only get on my soap box here these days.

As for free developers, they will normally want things to work on their computer and probably not care if it doesn't work on an outdated OS and they will want to use new features. I don't blame them.

The last time I tested it worked on Windows 98 but that might have changed. It would take some time to get up and running one of these old computers to test and debug things. I don't think there was any thing wrong with Euphoria 3.1. If you are using DOS one can continue using that version. There is no reason to throw an old computer away until it dies.

I don't know whether there are any known bugs in 3.1. The problem is a program targeted to DOS may not run on Windows XP (old), or Vista (also old but not so much) or probably anything thereafter. At that point they can use an emulator while they port it or have one of us help them.

Shawn Pringle

18. Re: E-waste

SDPringle said...
jimcbrown said...
SDPringle said...

Ah but I have always said the *default* should be what will work on the greatest number of systems. Though you are right, it should have taken care of things

Agreed in full.

SDPringle said...
jimcbrown said...

the distributor forgot and we released something that needed Win2k or newer to run.

Can you provide a list of what was released that was built without align4? I'll see if I can track down the distributor and get it fixed. (Yes, we may have to rerelease a bunch of old releases. That's worth it imvho.)

SDPringle said...

Well, what I meant to say is that it isn't default and I think it is a bad thing that it isn't the default. Support was never removed AFAIK but what I know is seldom up to date about EUPHORIA.

Again, agreed, it should be the default. I don't recall now why it isn't the default. I'll change this if there are no objections.

Of course, it's possible that, even if it's still in there, it became broken at some point. It's not enough to have the code in there to bitrot, we need active 9x testers to make sure that it's still working. At this point, I'm not sure that we have any.

SDPringle said...

I have more rewarding things to do than program for free right now.

That's the real problem. tongue

19. Re: E-waste

jimcbrown said...

Again, agreed, it should be the default. I don't recall now why it isn't the default. I'll change this if there are no objections.

Horay! :)

jimcbrown said...

Of course, it's possible that, even if it's still in there, it became broken at some point. It's not enough to have the code in there to bitrot, we need active 9x testers to make sure that it's still working. At this point, I'm not sure that we have any.

Please see the technical definition of bitrot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rot. I agree, you have to test things sometimes things have unexpected compatibility problems.

Shawn Pringle

20. Re: E-waste

SDPringle said...
jimcbrown said...

Horay! :)

I don't recall the default ALIGN4 ever being changed. managed memory is the default for windows. minGW build always shows system memory no matter what, and there is no indication in any header or info that outputs build properties. might be nice, probably easy but noone has done the few tweaks and tests to make it happen. would be good to embed more of the build info too, which compiler,version etc.

euphoria should still run on win98SE out of the box. would still run on win95 if internet explorer 4 was installed. in the States, millions of ISP cd's were given away and junk mailed out for years with Internet Explorer and Dun installer. I still have a few kicking around if anyone wanted a zip to try. might be difficult to download from any official channel these days. I think even oldapps links to microsoft.

this is only required because sockets are now builtin. it wouldn't take much to ifdef that into an option apparently just making it lazy loading wasn't enough and I think Shawn could better say what the exact problem is.

it could be you still need IE4, 5 or 6 because of Common Controls. which can't easily be ifdef'ed around. and is standard win98 and up. I can't recall the last time I tried on win98 or win95 though. and it's been years since anyone asked.

21. Re: E-waste

Hallo

Maybe someone could help me.

I do not understand this thread.

For me it counts DOS is dead. If soemone likes to program with dos there are many languages to do this (even Euphoria3.1, TP5.5 etc.)
The Euphoria developers changed to a 'gcc only' development. That's okay for me.
I did everything to bring my sources to a 'gcc stage'.

Why should someone backport Eu4 to DOS? I think it is much easier to port DOS apps to Windows than porting Eu4 back to Dos.

Hopefully the Euphoria developers don't waste time on porting Eu4 back to DOS (or Win95 etc.)
and use there time to bring Euphoria in the new (i don't care if linux or windows) world.

Andreas

22. Re: E-waste

I'm curious to see if anyone has a valid reason why anyone should devote time to adding DOS support.

As far as I can tell, there's not a lot of enthusiasm for programming *any* platform anymore, except for phones and tablets. IOW, computer programming is quickly going the way of "fixing your own car". In addition, I suspect that any old 'stuck in the mud' folks like me who actually know what a 'terminal' is and aren't afraid to use it have been using Linux for years now.

And if Euphoria did indeed run on DOS, where are you going to find anyone who has the hardware, or who would be willing to use your program? Outside of a computing museum, that is. Remember, when DOS was the only thing available, most users complained about how clunky and difficult to use it was, which was the impetus for the invention of the GUI.

23. Re: E-waste

Well, there are folk in other countries still using DOS. And there are folk still using DOS in emulators, like DOSBox and BOCHS.

Bruce

24. Re: E-waste

I've been using win-xp for 10+ years, but hardly a day goes by i don't open a doxbox or write a batch file.

useless

25. Re: E-waste

useless_ said...

I've been using win-xp for 10+ years, but hardly a day goes by i don't open a doxbox or write a batch file.

If by "dosbox" you mean cmd.exe, then that's Windows, not DOS. And cmd.exe is also the default batch file interpreter for XP.

Matt

26. Re: E-waste

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

If by "dosbox" you mean cmd.exe, then that's Windows, not DOS. And cmd.exe is also the default batch file interpreter for XP.

Matt

And yet, if the dosbox or the batch file was moved over to a 80286 DOS5 computer, it would still run the same. Likewise, if someone put a DOS version on their 3Ghz P4 i'd expect it to also run the same.

Imo, dos's biggest issue was it's lack of modern filesystems and wider bit-widths and non-re-entrancy. Replace winxp's gui with a dos-lookalike written in Euphoria, i'd be happy with it, and i'd use it like i use the dosboxes now. There's one open now, there were three this morning, no doubt i'll pop open more as the day goes along.

I am using "dos" to refer to the look and feel, not to 15 year-old 16bit code.

useless

27. Re: E-waste

useless_ said...

useless

Hallo

Ever tried powershell.exe? It's preinstalled since Win7. You can download it for free from MS for WinXP and Vista.

Andreas

28. Re: E-waste

eukat said...
mattlewis said...
eukat said...

Matt

And yet, if the dosbox or the batch file was moved over to a 80286 DOS5 computer, it would still run the same. Likewise, if someone put a DOS version on their 3Ghz P4 i'd expect it to also run the same.

This is almost certainly correct in your case, but in general I'll contend that it's not true. cmd.exe adds many new features that aren't compatible with older versions of COMMAND.COM (though 4DOS typically supports these), and unless you know what you are doing and are careful to avoid it, it's possible nowadays to write a batch script that unintentionally will only run with cmd.exe (later versions of Euphoria's own configure.bat being an example, according to a FreeDOS thread).

eukat said...

Imo, dos's biggest issue was it's lack of modern filesystems and wider bit-widths and non-re-entrancy. Replace winxp's gui with a dos-lookalike written in Euphoria, i'd be happy with it, and i'd use it like i use the dosboxes now. There's one open now, there were three this morning, no doubt i'll pop open more as the day goes along.

Agreed. If nothing else, there's NTFSDOS. DrDOS came out with a 32bit pre-emptive version at one point in time. I'm not sure if FreeDOS has completely caught up yet, but it has an active community so I figure it is only a matter of time.

29. Re: E-waste

andi49 said...
useless_ said...

useless

Hallo

Ever tried powershell.exe? It's preinstalled since Win7. You can download it for free from MS for WinXP and Vista.

Andreas

No, i have not tried it. I have tried to try it, but MS has the most trying of all web sites. I have been to 100's of their pages looking for the download for winxp, which would be version 2.0, and have not found it. i have repeatedly run across http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/scriptcenter/dd742419.aspx , but it doesn't offer the PowersHell.exe itself, and the page doesn't say it's included separately(?) in any other download.

I finally found how to download v1, have not tried it yet. Took 15 minutes to find ways to download and run the stupid validation and the powershell.exe itself, finally, opened a dosbox and ran wget to get it.

useless

30. Re: E-waste

Hallo

Powershell 2.0

http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_hs_getfile_v1_29374285.html?t=1367618666&v=3600&s=a9adf08a825b484afadabab6cd28f839

It's a downloadpage from a German Computer Magazine.Worked a few minutes ago ;)

Andreas

31. Re: E-waste

irv said...

I'm curious to see if anyone has a valid reason why anyone should devote time to adding DOS support.

I'm curious on this as well.

bugmagnet said...

Well, there are folk in other countries still using DOS. And there are folk still using DOS in emulators, like DOSBox and BOCHS.

This brings up an interesting point- there is a (huge) difference between using DOS and programming for DOS.
The last time I installed a legitimate MS-DOS system was about last month, on a label printer at a machine shop that broke after 2 decades of use.
The last time I programmed a DOS application was over 15 years ago; and it was intended mostly as a recovery environment to fix Win98.

Clearly, people still run DOS, as doing so is simpler than porting legacy systems, many of which the source has been lost and require ISA-based hardware, to modern platforms. But, outside of demoscene and people maintaining emulations for those lecacy applications, who is creating new programs to run on pure DOS? And, why?

useless_ said...

if someone put a DOS version on their 3Ghz P4 i'd expect it to also run the same.

Actually, it would appear that modern machines cannot run DOS; first, the BIOS won't even recognize a USB floppy drive. Second, it wouldn't boot from a drive with DOS already imaged onto it. I could've probably set up an emulator, but it turned out to be much easier to acquire an old drive to fix the old machine than to order a PCIe serial card and setup a VM for the new.

Of course, all of this is likely to soon become irrelevant, because-

irv said...

As far as I can tell, there's not a lot of enthusiasm for programming *any* platform anymore, except for phones and tablets. IOW, computer programming is quickly going the way of "fixing your own car".

If you want to develop a cross-platform application today, you have two options-

You could write a native platform app for Windows 8 in .NET; you wouldn't want to use Euphoria, because licensing restrictions may forbid you from doing so, either now or in the future. .NET obviously won't run on Android, so you need to create a Dalvik ("Java") port for Android devices. You luck out on BlackBerry, which now runs Android apps, but you're on your own with WebOS, Maemo, Symbian, Series40, MeeGo, and Bada. Apple doesn't permit VM-based languages, so you also need to create an Objective-C port to target iOS devices. Be sure your application doesn't compete with any by Apple (either now or in the future), or you'll get rejected. Oh, also, Microsoft and Apple charge large per-sale royalties (also, submission fees, etc), and you cannot circumvent these. These platforms are, of course, exclusive, so you need both a Windows machine and a Mac to do development for everything (best go with the more-expensive Mac, since you can't [legally] run OSX on a PC). Started on Linux? You still need to buy both.

Or, you can write a webapp, and support all of these at once (and also ChromeOS/FirefoxOS, which don't support anything else), without paying any fees…

32. Re: E-waste

andi49 said...

Hallo

Powershell 2.0

http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_hs_getfile_v1_29374285.html?t=1367618666&v=3600&s=a9adf08a825b484afadabab6cd28f839

It's a downloadpage from a German Computer Magazine.Worked a few minutes ago ;)

Andreas

That url forwards me to http://www.chip.de/downloads/Windows-PowerShell_29374274.html and there is no powershell download on that page. I mean, there is a "Zum Downloads" button, but it simply refreshes http://www.chip.de/downloads/Windows-PowerShell_29374274.html, there is no download.

Using wget, i finally found http://dl.cdn.chip.de/downloads/4430736/PowerShell_Setup_x86_3.msi?1367622779-1367630279-b74fe9-B-6247bf783a5a9029d86cfe627f252c3c which is a 7 megabyte file.

Do i want v2 instead of v1? I did not install yet. I am not looking for a new programming language, whatever dos won't do, Euphoria does plus more. But lets face it, Eu can runtime crash 5 minutes after i goto bed, while a dos command like "type *.html >> total.htm" will keep running. So i do not want more fancy code like AutoIt, especially if having it opens security holes (you might have noticed this puter hates downloading files).

useless

33. Re: E-waste

CoJaBo2 said...

<snip>

Or, you can write a webapp, and support all of these at once (and also ChromeOS/FirefoxOS, which don't support anything else), without paying any fees…

Yeas, but over 10 years ago i was ostracised in #Euphoria for suggesting making RPC apps, which is exactly what an API for a webapp is. Really, clicking on a sort in a Mouser or Digikey parts list does a RPC to their code running on their machines, which dumps a new version of the page to them, and that sort of thing is so common place. Ditto the "preview" button on this page. But that's out, altho i have no clue why. What's next?

useless

34. Re: E-waste

eukat said...
CoJaBo2 said...

<snip>

Yeas, but over 10 years ago i was ostracised in #Euphoria for suggesting making RPC apps, which is exactly what an API for a webapp is. Really, clicking on a sort in a Mouser or Digikey parts list does a RPC to their code running on their machines, which dumps a new version of the page to them, and that sort of thing is so common place. Ditto the "preview" button on this page. But that's out, altho i have no clue why. What's next?

That was before my time here. Still, without knowing any additional details, I want to note that there is a major difference between an OS-specific RPC (e.g. the 28-year old unix-specific http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmap ) and one designed from the ground up to be as general as possible (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAP ).

CoJaBo2 said...

first, the BIOS won't even recognize a USB floppy drive.

I wonder if something like this would have helped: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/usbdos.html

CoJaBo2 said...

Actually, it would appear that modern machines cannot run DOS; Second, it wouldn't boot from a drive with DOS already imaged onto it.

Yes. I was surprised that even FreeDOS lacks support for EFI! http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.freedos.general/11049

I have, however, seen a few workarounds: e.g. http://randomcomputerbits.blogspot.com/2008/02/tutorial-installing-freedos-on-intel.html (But of course, researching this and getting it to work may well have taken more time than just getting a replacement disk or setting up emulation. I'm just pointing out that it's possible to do it, but just because it can be done doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best course of action.)

CoJaBo2 said...

The last time I programmed a DOS application was over 15 years ago; and it was intended mostly as a recovery environment to fix Win98.

That's a pretty impressive accomplishment for someone who was under the age of six years old at the time.

35. Re: E-waste

useless_ said...

[...]
Do i want v2 instead of v1? I did not install yet. I am not looking for a new programming language, whatever dos won't do, Euphoria does plus more. But lets face it, Eu can runtime crash 5 minutes after i goto bed, while a dos command like "type *.html >> total.htm" will keep running. So i do not want more fancy code like AutoIt, especially if having it opens security holes (you might have noticed this puter hates downloading files).

useless

Hallo
powershell is not an new programming language. It's an extended cmd.exe or command.com. Maybe you can compare it to the *ix bash,sh,csh etc. family. but in a Windows-style.
You can use it the same way as your old WinXP cmd.exe, but i would suggest you try at first 'update-help' (this updates the help system) and then go on with things like 'get-help command' (where command is any something like dir,copy,ren,del etc.)
Just to give a starting point

Andreas

36. Re: E-waste

andi49 said...

powershell is not an new programming language.

I disagree. I'd consider it a scripting language.

andi49 said...

It's an extended cmd.exe or command.com. Maybe you can compare it to the *ix bash,sh,csh etc.

bash,csh,etc. are also scripting languages. In fact, one can argue that command.com batch files are a class of scripting language as well, albeit a very primitive one.

37. Re: E-waste

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

powershell is not an new programming language.

I disagree. I'd consider it a scripting language.

Batchfiles are also scripts. Powershell executes all of the old batch commands. So for me (and maybe only for me) it's not new.

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

It's an extended cmd.exe or command.com. Maybe you can compare it to the *ix bash,sh,csh etc.

bash,csh,etc. are also scripting languages. In fact, one can argue that command.com batch files are a class of scripting language as well, albeit a very primitive one.

Yes, batch files are a kind of scripting language. They have flow control with 'goto' and loops:

set %N=1 
for /L %%N IN (1, 1, 5) DO echo Nummer %%N 
Like command.com, bash,csh,ksh are command interpreter (shells) and they can excute there own batch files (called scripts). Put one command after the other on a batch and execute it.
But i agree command.com is a very poor script interpreter :)
And powershell is more a language than a simple shell.
Andreas

38. Re: E-waste

useless_ said...

[...] Do i want v2 instead of v1? [...]

useless

I do not know if you want v1 over v2. But beginning with v2 there is powershell_ise.exe
It's a an ide for batch files (more or less).

Andreas

39. Re: E-waste

andi49 said...
useless_ said...

[...] Do i want v2 instead of v1? [...]

useless

I do not know if you want v1 over v2. But beginning with v2 there is powershell_ise.exe
It's a an ide for batch files (more or less).

Andreas

Thanks, Andreas, i'll try v2.

useless

40. DOS 4.XXX question

Is there a complete 4.xxx source version containing WIN & DOS; located on a server 
where it can be downloaded for compiling with OpenWatcom. 

PS: Please no debates I  just want a simple answer. 

41. Re: DOS 4.XXX question

Yes.

42. Re: DOS 4.XXX question

BRyan said...

Is there a complete 4.xxx source version containing WIN & DOS; located on a server 

No.

43. Re: DOS 4.XXX question

DerekParnell said...
BRyan said...

No.

Yes.

44. Re: DOS 4.XXX question

jimcbrown said...
DerekParnell said...
BRyan said...

No.

Yes.

Thanks Jim

45. Re: DOS 4.XXX question

BRyan said...
jimcbrown said...
DerekParnell said...
BRyan said...

No.

Yes.

Thanks Jim

Yeas, thanks a lot, Jim:

BRyan said...

PS: Please no debates I just want a simple answer.

tongue
useless

46. CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

There is no version of dos that can be built with 4515 or 4755. 

There are files missing in the code. 

The make files are looking for msgtext.e which is missing. 

If you add that file from 402b then the compiler streams out SLASH not 
defined errors every where. 

It looks like someone was trying to add things to the source for command line stuff 
and for different OS's. 

What happen to the full source that was on the server prior to DOS being abandoned. 

I am using open-watcom on XPPro to build. 

Bernie 

47. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

BRyan said...

There is no version of dos that can be built with 4515 or 4755.

There are files missing in the code.

The make files are looking for msgtext.e which is missing.

If you add that file from 402b then the compiler streams out SLASH not defined errors every where.

It looks like someone was trying to add things to the source for command line stuff and for different OS's.

What happen to the full source that was on the server prior to DOS being abandoned.

I am using open-watcom on XPPro to build.

Bernie

Looking at the SVN logs, it appears that the version of msgtext.e that was meant to fit into this branch was this one: http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/source/msgtext.e?revision=2428&view=markup

I looked at the svn logs of the DOS branch, and it appears that this file was somehow omitted when the branch was created. http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria?limit_changes=0&view=revision&revision=2438

Let me know if any other files turn out to be missing, and I'll locate them for you. Once you have it working, I'll add the missing files to the DOS branch.

The old eubins that supported DOS were hosted on jeremy's site (this was before we had the current server), but he's since rebuilt his site from scratch. As a result, those eubins appear to have been lost. This makes it difficult to determine what the svn revision of the last DOS supporting eubin was.

DOS support was dropped before 4.0b1 was released, but the full sources for 4.0a3 (the last alpha), which supports DOS, are located here: http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/tags/4.0a3/

48. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

Thanks for the information Jim
Bernie

49. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

Added msgtext.e to 4515 and I get this ex.err

E:\EU4515\source\ec.ex:300 
<0074>:: Errors resolving the following references: 
	E:\EU4515\source\main.e (161): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\main.e (97): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\traninit.e (252): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\compile.e (7001): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\scanner.e (487): PATHSEP 
	E:\EU4515\source\scanner.e (471): PATHSEP 
	E:\EU4515\source\scanner.e (436): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\scanner.e (385): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\preproc.e (110): SHARED_LIB_EXT 
	E:\EU4515\source\preproc.e (99): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\pathopen.e (492): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\pathopen.e (240): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\pathopen.e (239): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\pathopen.e (211): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\pathopen.e (207): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\pathopen.e (176): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\pathopen.e (69): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\cmdline.e (1029): CMD_SWITCHES 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2515): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2514): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2143): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2142): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2133): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2132): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2127): PATHSEP 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2122): PATHSEP 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2116): PATHSEP 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2111): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2110): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2109): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2104): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2103): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2097): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2093): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (2079): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1668): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1667): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1490): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1485): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1476): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1472): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1471): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1450): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1433): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1430): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1429): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1413): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1350): SLASHES 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1299): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1108): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1080): SLASHES 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (964): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (954): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (927): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (872): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (845): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (774): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (773): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (619): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (614): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (554): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (537): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (306): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (300): SLASH 

if eu:find(SLASH, name) = 0 then 
	                ^ 

--- Defined Words --- 
EU4 
EU400 
EU40000 
WINDOWS 
WIN32 
WIN32_CONSOLE 
EUI 
------------------- 

50. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

BRyan said...

Added msgtext.e to 4515 and I get this ex.err

E:\EU4515\source\main.e (161): SLASH 
	E:\EU4515\source\scanner.e (487): PATHSEP 
	E:\EU4515\source\preproc.e (110): SHARED_LIB_EXT 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\cmdline.e (1029): CMD_SWITCHES 
	E:\EU4515\include\std\filesys.e (1350): SLASHES 

I have figured out what the issue here is.

In short, std/filesys.e in the DOS branch relies on the DOSFAMILY define to be defined by the interpreter, but the none of the alphas and all but one of the betas lack support for this define.

You can workaround the issue easily by manually defining it.

Open makefile.wat, and look for this section:

!ifeq RELEASE 1 
RELEASE_FLAG = -D EU_FULL_RELEASE 
!endif 

Change it to look like this instead.

!ifeq RELEASE 1 
!endif 
RELEASE_FLAG = -D DOSFAMILY 

Alternatively, you may also be able to use 4.0b1, the beta that has DOSFAMILY, to build Windows executables from the DOS branch. Then you can use the newly built Windows executables to build the DOS version.

Here is the history of how this happened.

4.0a3, http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/tags/4.0a3/ , was released Wed Mar 11 20:39:19 2009 UTC. This was before the DOSFAMILY tag was created, and thus this and all earlier versions of Euphoria can not build the DOS branch (at least without some tweaking).

The DOSFAMILY tag was created on Wed Apr 08 18:01:56 2009 UTC, after the last alpha (and thus, barring any DOS eubins still out there, after the last version of Euphoria to support DOS). http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/b384407d0922

Then the DOS branch was created on Sun Aug 9 22:23:37 2009 UTC. http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria?view=revision&revision=2438

At Fri Aug 28 14:55:00 2009 UTC, DOSFAMILY was removed (as it was redundant now that we no longer had DOS). http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/d46f788027cf

4.0b1 ironicly still had DOSFAMILY defined when it was released in Wed Aug 12 00:47:54 2009 UTC, thought it can't build the DOS branch for DOS due to its lack of DOS support. http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria?view=revision&revision=2479

(I confirmed this by looking here: http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/tags/4.0b1/source/platform.e?revision=2479&view=markup&pathrev=2479 )

However, by 4.0b2, released Mon Aug 31 16:16:47 2009 UTC, DOSFAMILY had been removed from the release. That and all later versions of Euphoria no longer define DOSFAMILY and can not build the DOS branch without tweaking.

51. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

jimcbrown said...

Alternatively, you may also be able to use 4.0b1, the beta that has DOSFAMILY, to build Windows executables from the DOS branch. Then you can use the newly built Windows executables to build the DOS version.

Thinking it over, I would have to recommend against doing this. This would require cross-translation, which opens up the possibility for a new class of bugs. (I recall very early on some problems Jeremy had doing cross-translation to build the first official OSX binaries - they ran on OSX but kept thinking they were Euphoria on Linux/GNU.)

I don't think we have any known issues with this now, but it's harder for me to vouch for code from even a few years ago (and when we used a different source control revision system). It's possible you might bump into old bugs regarding cross-translation if you try this route.

52. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

jimcbrown said...

Let me know if any other files turn out to be missing, and I'll locate them for you. Once you have it working, I'll add the missing files to the DOS branch.

How did this go?

53. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

jimcbrown said...

How did this go?

The problem is DOSFAMILY option ?

I do not see any code that sets up options when the code is compiled.

Some of the code looks like someone also decide to use CMake.

Jeremy said that he was going to simplify with the cross compiling; he tried for 5 years.

Then all the past source was lost by him and there is no way to back track to remove the

problems.

I'am afraid that the code is beyond my understanding.

54. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

BRyan said...

What happened when you tried this?

jimcbrown said...

!ifeq RELEASE 1 
!endif 

!ifeq RELEASE 1 
!endif 
BRyan said...

Some of the code looks like someone also decide to use CMake.

You should be able to ignore that. CMake was never the primary build system.

BRyan said...

Jeremy said that he was going to simplify with the cross compiling; he tried for 5 years.

Then all the past source was lost by him and there is no way to back track to remove the

problems.

I'am afraid that the code is beyond my understanding.

All the code should be in the SVN server, so we shouldn't have any lost source.

55. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

jimcbrown said...

What server ?

Where are the files from SVN 1705 up to the latest version ?

56. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

jimcbrown said...
BRyan said...

jimcbrown said...

!ifeq RELEASE 1 
!endif 

!ifeq RELEASE 1 
!endif 
BRyan said...
jimcbrown said...

What server ?

Where are the files from SVN 1705 up to the latest version ?

SVN 1705 is available from hg at http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/8926e37340dd or the old SVN server at http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria?view=revision&revision=1705

The latest is only available from hg, http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/bdcbd57525de

There's list of changes from hg at http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/shortlog/bdcbd57525de

There's also a list of changes from svn at http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/?view=log

jimcbrown said...
BRyan said...

jimcbrown said...

!ifeq RELEASE 1 
!endif 

!ifeq RELEASE 1 
!endif 

57. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

Did not make any difference. 

Tried on 3 different version of source back to ver. 2438. 

Still get SLASH errors. 

Jim version 4.0.5 has the --plat option in the configure.bat file 
and the platform.e library file. 

The other versions have the platform.e library file but 
the configure.bat does not contain any --plat option. 

I wonder if the configure.bat file is the wrong one. 

58. Re: CALL FOR DOS REVISTED

BRyan said...

Did not make any difference.

Tried on 3 different version of source back to ver. 2438.

Still get SLASH errors.

Can you show me the complete contents of your modified makefile.wat ?

Another thing to try is to edit std/filesys.e and replace all references to DOSFAMILY with DOS or MICROSOFT. But you may end up having to modify a lot of files if this is the case. (This is really easy to do on nix though - just use sed.)

BRyan said...

Jim version 4.0.5 has the plat option in the configure.bat file and the platform.e library file.

The other versions have the platform.e library file but the configure.bat does not contain any plat option.

I wonder if the configure.bat file is the wrong one.

That shouldn't matter unless we're cross-translating.

59. DOS source ?

In the source code there is a file called " make_be_callback.ex ". 

If it is executed it creates a file called " be_callback.c ". 

I can not find any place in the source code that executes this file . 

If I manually execute it and run the watcom compiler I get the following error : 

Internal compiler limit exceeded, break module into smaller pieces. 

Does anyone have any knowledge of the execution of " make_be_callback.ex " file . 

60. Re: DOS source ?

BRyan said...

In the source code there is a file called " make_be_callback.ex ". If it is executed it creates a file called " be_callback.c ". I can not find any place in the source code that executes this file . Does anyone have any knowledge of the execution of " make_be_callback.ex " file .

I wrote it. The idea is that we have one big file, be_callback.c, that defines all the possible call_back options, however typing all of that out by hand was very tedious, so I wrote a helper script, make_be_callback.ex, to save some effort.

The idea was that, I'd run make_be_callback.ex once, commit the source, and that was it. You shouldn't ever need to run make_be_callback.ex ever again...

BRyan said...

If I manually execute it and run the watcom compiler I get the following error : Internal compiler limit exceeded, break module into smaller pieces.

This was originally designed for OSX. I forgot about the DOS/Watcom limit on a file size. You should be able to make this work if you modify make_be_callback.ex to write out the code into multiple files instead of one file.

61. dos is a lost cause !

After spending hours of correcting and combining source code. 

There is no reasonable place to start from, to recreate source that was working. 

Whoever added the dosfamliy in the source and SLASH stuff in most include files 

caused an unrecoverable mess. 

I can not understand how any platform is set or where and what sets it. 

Since the original archive no longer exist and no one seems to know how the code 
was suppose to work. 

It appears that there was a big rush to get Euphoria to work on every operating system 
that exists and not the methodical approach that Rob always took. 

62. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

After spending hours of correcting and combining source code. There is no reasonable place to start from, to recreate source that was working.

I am very disappointed to hear this.

BRyan said...

Since the original archive no longer exist and no one seems to know how the code was suppose to work.

We have everything except for the binaries. The original archive of source code exists.

I know how the code was suppose to work. If you have any questions, just ask me.

BRyan said...

Whoever added the dosfamliy in the source and SLASH stuff in most include files caused an unrecoverable mess.

I don't understand this. If nothing else, you could have just removed the ifdefs entirely...

BRyan said...

It appears that there was a big rush to get Euphoria to work on every operating system that exists and not the methodical approach that Rob always took.

It is true that our approach is not identical to Rob's. However, I believe that the reason that the current DOS branch is unrelated.

I now believe that, although we officially supported DOS at that time, the SVN code had in fact been broken with regards to DOS support for a very long time. I think this validates the decision to drop DOS support - the code must have bitrotted for a very long time.

BRyan said...

I can not understand how any platform is set or where and what sets it.

Why is this relevant? What are you trying to do here? platform for what? Euphoria itself?

63. Re: dos is a lost cause !

Take the DOS archive software and show me that you can build it with OPENWATCOM 

It can't even build WIN32 code. 

64. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

Take the DOS archive software and show me that you can build it with OPENWATCOM. It can't even build WIN32 code.

I just tried this and I was able to build eui, euiw, euc, eub, and euid.

In addition to adding msgtext.e, I had to add euphoria.h from http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/include/euphoria.h?revision=2428

Also, the instructions to modify makefile.wat in http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/121960.wc are not enough. I had to add it to EUDEBUG as well as manually adding that flag to a variety of places where the interpreter is invoked (e.g. findjmp.ex or revget.ex).

Then, I modified make_be_callback.ex to set TOTAL to 20 instead of 1000 (to avoid the DOS max c file size limit) and generated be_callback.c

Next, the be_callc.c code I had for DOS did not work (since it was derived from a later version of the source). I fixed this up.

Finally I changed line 4540 of be_machine.c from "else {" to "} else {".

I seem to be locked out of my SVN account for the time being, so I can't commit these changes. Instead, I'll put up some links.

Here is a big diff of all the changes that I made:

http://openeuphoria.org/eubins/misc/dos.diff

Here are the individual files for download (not including euphoria.h or msgtext.e):

http://openeuphoria.org/eubins/misc/eu40dos.tar

65. Re: dos is a lost cause !

jimcbrown said...
BRyan said...

Take the DOS archive software and show me that you can build it with OPENWATCOM. It can't even build WIN32 code.

I just tried this and I was able to build eui, euiw, euc, eub, and euid.

Here's the euid.exe, btw:

http://openeuphoria.org/eubins/misc/euid.exe

66. Re: dos is a lost cause !

Jim: 

The links have Forbidden excess. 

67. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

Jim:

Fixed. New link: http://openeuphoria.org/eubins/misc/euid.bin

68. Re: dos is a lost cause !

jimcbrown said...
BRyan said...

Jim:

I downloaded this file but I don't know what it is used for ? 

It is not a zip file ? 

69. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...
jimcbrown said...
BRyan said...

Jim:

I downloaded this file but I don't know what it is used for ? 

It is not a zip file ? 

No, it's euid.exe - I renamed it as bin because otherwise Apache tried to run it as a CGI program.

Just rename it and run it.

70. Re: dos is a lost cause !

jimcbrown said...

No, it's euid.exe - I renamed it as bin because otherwise Apache tried to run it as a CGI program.

Just rename it and run it.

ok  
Thanks I will get back to you later. 

I have to attend to some other things. 

71. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

Whoever added the dosfamliy in the source

caused an unrecoverable mess.

I am personally responsible for that.

72. Re: dos is a lost cause !

Jim: 

The euid.bin file must be corrupted if I rename it and run it 
I get the following error : 

Critical Error: Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?  

If I do a wmake winall I get the following error : 

F:\EUDOS\source\traninit.e:136 
	'replace_all' (..\..\parser.e:4356) has not been declared. 
	'get_text' (..\..\msgtext.e:347) has not been declared. 
	'SUNOS' (..\..\platform.e:19) has not been declared. 
	'DOS32' (..\..\platform.e:103) has not been declared. 
	'DOS32' (..\..\traninit.e:136) has not been declared. 

set_host_platform( DOS32 ) 
						                         ^ 

--- Defined Words --- 
EU4 
EU4_0 
EU4_0_5 
WINDOWS 
WIN32 
CONSOLE 
DOSFAMILY 
E32 
EUI 
------------------- 

73. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

Jim: 

The euid.bin file must be corrupted if I rename it and run it 
I get the following error : 

F:\EUDOS\source\traninit.e:136 
	'replace_all' (..\..\parser.e:4356) has not been declared. 
	'get_text' (..\..\msgtext.e:347) has not been declared. 
	'SUNOS' (..\..\platform.e:19) has not been declared. 
	'DOS32' (..\..\platform.e:103) has not been declared. 
	'DOS32' (..\..\traninit.e:136) has not been declared. 

^ 

--- Defined Words --- 
EU4 
EU4_0 
EU4_0_5 
WINDOWS 
WIN32 
CONSOLE 
DOSFAMILY 
E32 
EUI 
------------------- 

Jim: 

Am I suppose to be using the DOS TRUNK sources or the MAIN TRUNK sources? 

Also Am I soppose to be using msgtext.e that you sent me a number of days ago ? 

That Get_text function is located in the local.e file which is not included in msgtext.e 

74. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

Am I suppose to be using the DOS TRUNK sources or the MAIN TRUNK sources?

dos trunk.

BRyan said...

Also Am I soppose to be using msgtext.e that you sent me a number of days ago ?

I never sent you a msgtext.e

You should be using http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/source/msgtext.e?revision=2428 and http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/include/euphoria.h?revision=2428

BRyan said...

That Get_text function is located in the local.e file which is not included in msgtext.e

That version of msgtext.e is designed to use the version of get_text() in std/text.e here: http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/include/std/text.e?revision=2428

However, the DOS trunk version also has this function: http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/dos/trunk/include/std/text.e

BRyan said...

F:\EUDOS\source\traninit.e:136 <0074>:: Errors resolving the following references: 'replace_all' (..\..\parser.e:4356) has not been declared. 'get_text' (..\..\msgtext.e:347) has not been declared. 'SUNOS' (..\..\platform.e:19) has not been declared. 'DOS32' (..\..\platform.e:103) has not been declared. 'DOS32' (..\..\traninit.e:136) has not been declared.

I can't reproduce this error. The fact that DOS32 isn't defined leads me to believe that you've mixed up your sources and have some post-DOS-remove code in your working copy that you are trying to build with.

BRyan said...

Jim:

The euid.bin file must be corrupted if I rename it and run it I get the following error :

I'll email it to you directly, using the email address that you registered your forum account with.

75. Re: dos is a lost cause !

Ok I will get back with you tomorrow Thanks

76. Re: dos is a lost cause !

Jim: 

I wiped out all my dos files and got a fresh source copy from dos trunk. 

I replaced the 4 files and added msgtext.e to the source directory. 

I created the be_callback.c file 

I ran configure.bat 

I am using bins from 4.0.5 

I ran wmake winall and the error I get is the following: 

del /Q F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\*.* 
cd  F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj 
F:\EUDOS\BIN\eui.exe -i F:\EUDOS\include -d DOSFAMILY F:\EUDOS\source\ec.ex   -d 
 DOSFAMILY -nobuild -wat -plat WIN -d DOSFAMILY -D EU_MANAGED_MEM  -i F:\EUDOS\i 
nclude F:\EUDOS\source\int.ex 
Translating code, pass: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
F:\EUDOS\source\c_out.e:206 in procedure adjust_indent_before() 
type_check failure, c (from inlined routine 'c_putc' at 141) is {} 

... called from F:\EUDOS\source\c_decl.e:609 in procedure c_stmt() 

... called from F:\EUDOS\source\c_decl.e:667 in procedure c_stmt0() 

... called from F:\EUDOS\source\compile.e:7073 in procedure BackEnd() 

... called from F:\EUDOS\source\mode.e:49 in procedure BackEnd() 

... called from F:\EUDOS\source\main.e:191 in procedure main() 

... called from F:\EUDOS\source\main.e:205 

--> See ex.err 
Error(E42): Last command making (F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\main-.c) returned 
a bad status 
Should this file be deleted [Yes/No] ? 

77. Re: dos is a lost cause !

PS: I just updated my email address the profile had an old address .

78. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

I wiped out all my dos files and got a fresh source copy from dos trunk.

I replaced the 4 files and added msgtext.e to the source directory.

I created the be_callback.c file

I ran configure.bat

So far, so good.

BRyan said...

I am using bins from 4.0.5

I haven't tried that. Not sure what will happen .. 4.0.5 doesn't support building DOS binaries.

BRyan said...

I ran wmake winall and the error I get is the following:

F:\EUDOS\source\c_out.e:206 in procedure adjust_indent_before() type_check failure, c (from inlined routine 'c_putc' at 141) is {}

Hmm. I wonder why I hadn't seen that error before.

DerekParnell is responsible for breaking this.

http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/source/c_out.e?r1=2375&r2=2386

Anyways, change that line from c_putc to c_puts (with an s at the end).

79. Re: dos is a lost cause !

That got us to run to a different error now I am getting : 

dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_main.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\back\b 
e_main.obj 
wcc386 /bt=nt /mf /w0 /zq /j /zp4 /fp5 /fpi87 /5r /otimra /s    /I..\ /ol /zp4 / 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_alloc.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\back\ 
be_alloc.obj 
wcc386 /bt=nt /mf /w0 /zq /j /zp4 /fp5 /fpi87 /5r /otimra /s    /I..\ /ol /zp4 / 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_callc.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\back\ 
be_callc.obj 
wcc386 /oe=40 /ol /zp4 /dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      /bt=nt /mf /w0 /zq /j /zp 
4 /fp5 /fpi87 /5r /otimra /s    /I..\ be_inline.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\into 
bj\back\be_inline.obj 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_callback.c -fo=be_callback.obj 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_machine.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\bac 
k\be_machine.obj 
be_machine.c(4906): Error! E1010: Type mismatch 
Error(E42): Last command making (F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\back\be_machine.ob 
j) returned a bad status 
Error(E02): Make execution terminated 
Error(E42): Last command making (interpreter) returned a bad status 
Error(E42): Last command making (winall) returned a bad status 
   Press <SPACEBAR> to continue.                                      SPACE/ESC 

80. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

That got us to run to a different error now I am getting :

be_machine.c(4906): Error! E1010: Type mismatch

That line is simply

if (addr != NULL) free((char *)addr); 

I have no idea why you are getting this. Perhaps your watcom settings are set to be more pedantic than mine? Perhaps your watcom wants:

if ((char*)addr != NULL) free((char *)addr); 

Or

if ((void*)addr != NULL) free((void*)addr); 

Or

if (addr != (unsigned)NULL) free((char *)addr); 

But I really have no idea why your Watcom is being so pedantic or what it wants. (This was a great reason to drop Watcom support altogether imnsho.)

This is a really bad idea, but for now just comment out that line and the line above it.

81. Re: dos is a lost cause !

My watcom wants this: 

I've seen this before when using pointers it wants casts. 

We are off to run again now I get this error : 

ck\be_syncolor.obj 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_runtime.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\bac 
k\be_runtime.obj 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_symtab.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\back 
\be_symtab.obj 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_w.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\back\be_w 
.obj 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_socket.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\back 
\be_socket.obj 
dEWINDOWS /dEWATCOM /dEOW      be_pcre.c -fo=F:\EUDOS\source\BUILD\intobj\back\b 
e_pcre.obj 
F:\EUDOS\BIN\eui.exe -d DOSFAMILY -i ..\include revget.ex 
Error(F38): (be_rev.c) does not exist and cannot be made from existing files 
   Press <SPACEBAR> to continue.                                      SPACE/ESC 

82. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

My watcom wants this:

I've seen this before when using pointers it wants casts.

I see... But that worked for me on my OpenWatcom. Fickle...

BRyan said...

We are off to run again now I get this error :

F:\EUDOS\BIN\eui.exe -d DOSFAMILY -i ..\include revget.ex -1 Error(F38): (be_rev.c) does not exist and cannot be made from existing files

be_rev.c should contain something like this:

extern char* get_svn_revision(); 

char * get_svn_revision() { 
        return "4745:4754M"; 
} 

If you create it by hand manually, that should be good enough to get the build going.

The -1 implies that revget.ex failed to read your .svn/entries file directly (which makes sense considering that it only supports svn 1.3 and 1.4), and it failed to run the svnversion command for some reason.

83. Re: dos is a lost cause !

For your information using version 1.9 of Open Watcom. 

I have successfully built the WIN32 binaries. 

Now I will try building dosall.   

84. Re: dos is a lost cause !

Jim: 

I have successfully built the DOS32 files. 

What about the DOS include files there not in the dos trunk should I just use the 3.11 versions ? 

What about eushroud.exe where is that built ? 

Do you need any other information ? 

I will check back with you in about an hour. 

Thanks for your help. 

85. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

I have successfully built the DOS32 files.

Excellent news!

BRyan said...

What about the DOS include files there not in the dos trunk should I just use the 3.11 versions ?

Which ones are missing?

BRyan said...

What about eushroud.exe where is that built ?

I think this version is so old that it still uses bin/shroud.bat and source/bind.ex instead of eushroud.

Normally, wmake tools would make it, but keep in mind that eushroud is only built as a windows executable. You'd have to fiddle with the makefile.wat to build a DOS version.

BRyan said...

Do you need any other information ?

No.

86. Re: dos is a lost cause !

The DOS trunk base include directory contains : 
STD      (directory) 
EUPHORIA (directory) 
euphoria.h 

I put the 3.11 include files here. 

87. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

The DOS trunk base include directory contains : STD (directory) EUPHORIA (directory) euphoria.h

That's probably ok. It'd be more accurate to use the ones form http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/include/?revision=2428 but I'm not sure if this would make much difference.

Heh, it appears that Derek really screwed things up when he created the DOS branch, considering all the files it's missing. I'll never trust that guy with an svn command again. tongue

88. Re: dos is a lost cause !

jimcbrown said...
BRyan said...

The DOS trunk base include directory contains : STD (directory) EUPHORIA (directory) euphoria.h

That's probably ok. It'd be more accurate to use the ones form http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/trunk/include/?revision=2428 but I'm not sure if this would make much difference.

Heh, it appears that Derek really screwed things up when he created the DOS branch, considering all the files it's missing. I'll never trust that guy with an svn command again. tongue

Just don't give Derek his pay check. 

Jim if DOS is working why is eui.exe needed ? 

The demos are messed up because some are written with the exd extent and they are 
looking for include older files with the ex extent. 

net include directory is missing. 

I think what happened with the demos is that they were rewritten for the DOS emulator  
and that the users were try to change them for dos rescue. 

Most of the demos were originally written for 3.11 and 

I see no reason for 3.11 demos not to work.  

The other advantage of using euid.exe is the older code in archive would work.  

89. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

Jim if DOS is working why is eui.exe needed ?

Huh?

BRyan said...

net include directory is missing.

You can find the version that should have been in there in the same place as the other missing files (msgtext.e and euphoria.h and the 3.11 compatibility includes).

Not sure why you want this, as none of the net stuff works with DOS anyways..

BRyan said...

The demos are messed up because some are written with the exd extent and they are looking for include older files with the ex extent.

Which ones are trying to include .ex files? That's odd, none of the demos should be including an .ex or an .exd file. .ex/.exd are main files, while .e are include files.

BRyan said...

Most of the demos were originally written for 3.11 and I see no reason for 3.11 demos not to work.

Agreed. Why would you suspect that this is in fact not the case?

BRyan said...

I think what happened with the demos is that they were rewritten for the DOS emulator and that the users were try to change them for dos rescue.

Not that I know of... all the existing demos are either generic (e.g. animal.ex) and worked post-DOS with no changes, specific to a non-DOS platform (e.g. qsort.exu) and thus had no changes, or specific to DOS (e.g. polygon.ex) and were removed altogether along with the DOS support.

BRyan said...

The other advantage of using euid.exe is the older code in archive would work.

Let's backtrack here .. this is the "other" or second advantage. Ok, so what's the first advantage?

90. Re: dos is a lost cause !

Jim: 

ex.exe was renamed by Jeremy to eui.exe 

Wasn't eui.exe suppose be used to run dos code until dos was removed from the source ? 

If we now have euid.exe can't it be used in place eui.exe 

When you run one of demos it is looking for net directory. 

A lot of demos use machine.e whenever it is used by a program and the program ends; 
It displays a warning that check_calls was not used. 

I quickly tried all demos included in 3.11 an 90% of them work with euid.exe there is 
a problem callmach.ex cw crashs but the callmach demo in 4.xx works ok. 

91. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

ex.exe was renamed by Jeremy to eui.exe

No, it was not. ex.exe was renamed by Jeremy to euid.exe and exwc.exe was renamed by Jeremy to eui.exe

BRyan said...

Wasn't eui.exe suppose be used to run dos code until dos was removed from the source ?

No, it was not. The reason behind the name change was to unify the Unix/Windoze names (exwc/exu -> eui, backendc/backendu -> eub, bind/bindu -> eubind, etc; also, because we believed that the standard for most languages was to have the console app be the default and the windowed/GUI app have the special name, we adopted exw -> euiw, backendw -> eubw, etc), in addition to giving some standardization to them (euX where X=i (interpeter), X=b (backend), X=c (compiler/translator)) instead of the zoo we had before (ex, backendc, exc, etc).

See http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/105411.wc

Under this convention, the DOS version also should have been named eui.exe (since both ex.exe and exwc.exe can run the basic console apps, in addition to exu), however at the time we packaged both sets of binaries together which made having two executables with the same name awkward.

Since Windoze 7 had trouble running ex.exe at the time (the OpenWatcom C library would try to go into fullscreen mode for no reason, which sometimes caused that OS to terminate the execution of the application) it was decided to emphasis the Windows console interpreter in favor of the dos interpreter, and hence the DOS versions got the special d suffix.

BRyan said...

If we now have euid.exe can't it be used in place eui.exe

Yes. I guess this makes sense if one wants to move to a DOS-only distribution.

BRyan said...

When you run one of demos it is looking for net directory.

Which demo? Only the demos in the net directory should be using that stuff. None of the demos that use it would be able to run with euid.exe anyways, as euid.exe does not support any networking.

BRyan said...

A lot of demos use machine.e whenever it is used by a program and the program ends; It displays a warning that check_calls was not used.

All the demos in the DOS branch should be using std/machine.e - not the 3.11 version. Which demo is trying to use that one?

BRyan said...

I quickly tried all demos included in 3.11 an 90% of them work with euid.exe there is a problem callmach.ex cw crashs but the callmach demo in 4.xx works ok.

This isn't too surprising, as 4.xx does things a little differently.

92. Re: dos is a lost cause !

Which demo? Only the demos in the net directory should be using that stuff. None of the demos that use it would be able to run with euid.exe anyways, as euid.exe does not support any networking.

The demo was httpd.ex 

All the demos in the DOS branch should be using std/machine.e - not the 3.11 version. 
If the demos use the one in std/machine.e then every time you use older code you will 
have edit the code. I put the 3.11 include files in the same place where 3.11 code 
expects them. 

93. Re: dos is a lost cause !

jimcbrown said...

Well I'm so glad we got that important and relevant news out. Yay! We found a scapegoat.

94. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

The demo was httpd.ex

This looks like it was a case of a misplaced demo. It has since been fixed in the active branches.

BRyan said...

If the demos use the one in std/machine.e then every time you use older code you will have edit the code.

But they are 4.xx demos. 4.xx demos should use 4.xx includes, and 3.11 demos should use 3.11 includes.

BRyan said...

I put the 3.11 include files in the same place where 3.11 code expects them.

Agreed. These should be there.

95. Re: dos is a lost cause !

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

Well I'm so glad we got that important and relevant news out. Yay! We found a scapegoat.

Sorry, but it was just frustrating to hit the same wall over and over.

Of course, not all the issues were your fault - the DOS code had bitrotted by the time the snapshot was made and no longer built on its own.

Still, the DOS branch was presented as a snapshot of the repository as it was the momemnt before DOS support was stripped out. This turns out to be false. Of course, the entire dev team has responsibility here, as not one of us had caught this mistake before now.

Edit: I'd say though, that the most important news is the title of this thread: DOS really does seem to be a lost cause, at least as far as Euphoria support goes.

96. Re: dos is a lost cause !

jimcbrown said...

Edit: I'd say though, that the most important news is the title of this thread: DOS really does seem to be a lost cause, at least as far as Euphoria support goes.

What I'm very unsure of is why would someone need a version of Euphoria that runs under MS-DOS? Are there still enough MS-DOS machines out there to make it worth while?

97. Re: dos is a lost cause !

DerekParnell said...

What I'm very unsure of is why would someone need a version of Euphoria that runs under MS-DOS? Are there still enough MS-DOS machines out there to make it worth while?

FreeDOS is compartible with MS-DOS.

See please: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeDOS

98. Re: dos is a lost cause !

kinzz said...

My question still stands. I know that MS-DOS, FreeDOS, 4DOS, etc ... exist, but are they actually being used in any quantities that would make supporting a version of Euphoria for them worth while?

99. Re: dos is a lost cause !

DerekParnell said...
kinzz said...

My question still stands. I know that MS-DOS, FreeDOS, 4DOS, etc ... exist, but are they actually being used in any quantities that would make supporting a version of Euphoria for them worth while?

I went over the webpage for FreeDOS again, and am still not impressed. This and that aren't included, whatever might not work right, and readme's are scattered all over various sites. And the big issue is they replicate the problem with MS-DOS-v1: the 64k paging system that brought us 640k and emm/xms drivers, monochrome and cga, there's no flat memory up to the limit of whatever you install, and LBA harddrive size stops at 128Gigs.

Every computer i have is "obsolete" already, all are over 10 yrs old, but WinXP runs well enough on them. I suspect eventually Microsoft will do a search and destroy on WinXP, because the fine print says they retain ownership of it and you only rent it. Installing WinXP once destroyed all my upgraded Win95B, so i expect the same again. These machines will be prime for a new DOS that can use all the hardware (single core cpus, lan cards, vga video, multiple 330G pata drives, etc), but it doesn't look like FreeDOS will be what i install.

So if Euphoria v4 might be backported to DOS, which DOS? I'll go take a look at it.

useless

100. Re: dos is a lost cause !

kinzz said...
DerekParnell said...

Let me toss this out there again: Once compiled, why would Eu need an OS? On a computer that does have an OS, change all OS calls into BIOS calls, then compile the result, and load it appropriately onto the harddive and tweak the boot sector to point to it. Options could include searching for compiled .e files to merge at boot time so everyone could add EUOS extenders (nod to http://jjprog.tripod.com/euos.html ).

useless

101. Re: dos is a lost cause !

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

Phew. At last! Thought we were never going to get there!

Chris

102. Re: dos is a lost cause !

DerekParnell said...
kinzz said...

I know that MS-DOS, FreeDOS, 4DOS, etc ... exist ...

4DOS is just a command interpreter, same as nDOS. They work on MS-DOS, FreeDOS ets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DOS

About uses of FreeDOS see please:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedos#Commercial_uses

103. Re: dos is a lost cause !

kinzz said...

Thank you. This is exactly my point. I can't see any actual uses of DOS-like operating systems. 'Providing' and 'Supporting' are not the same as 'Using'.

Where are the requirements for applications that MUST run on a DOS-like operating system that make Euphoria a viable programming language for them?

104. Re: dos is a lost cause !

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

I think you are getting ahead of yourself here. Before that, do we have anyone who can maintain a version of Euphoria that runs under MS-DOS? Since I sent out my open call for dos developers - http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/112542.wc - nearly three years ago, exactly one person has expressed interest - but that person was not a programmer.

BRyan - who hasn't explicitly expressed interest in becoming an official DOS developer for Euphoria yet - has come the closest to becoming that DOS developer. However, and by no means am I disparaging BRyan's skills as a coder, but he was unable to deal with relatively simple cases of bitrot in the codebase (e.g. DOSFAMILY). I think he now can maintain what he has, but I suspect that he is probably not the DOS developer that I was looking for.

The view from the FreeDOS community seems to be that it wasn't worth the effort to revive Euphoria for DOS: http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=9244

If there was just one person who was willing and able to bring Euphoria back for DOS, then I'd say we should let them do it. The creator of Star Trek created his TV shows not for his audience, but for himself, after all (as recounted in a conversation between Wil Wheaton and Eugene Roddenberry, Jr. in Trek Nation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trek_Nation).

I believe that I'm not the only one who feels that way:

DerekParnell said...

The main reason we dropped DOS support is that we have no developers that are willing to support it. If you can get someone who wants to take on that workload they are welcome to join the dev team.

DOS support was not dropped because we don't like DOS. As Microsoft advances Windows, it is becoming harder to implement the DOS code in modern Windows systems, and it will soon get to the point where you will only be able to run DOS applications - regardless of which computer language is used - on old (unsupported) versions of Windows or DOS.

anyone know of someone who can join the team to support DOS?

However, that person does not seem to exist. Remember that the initial catalyst for dropping DOS support was a bug that no one could fix: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/107540.wc#107540 http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=23280577

(If it requires a huge number of changes, then it might make more sense to revive the DOS port as a fork than to re-intergrate it back into the main tree, but that's a technical detail.)

105. Re: dos is a lost cause !

kinzz said...
DerekParnell said...

Another alternative is DR-DOS/OpenDOS: http://www.drdosprojects.de/index.cgi/about.htm

106. Re: dos is a lost cause !

DerekParnell said...
kinzz said...

Thank you. This is exactly my point. I can't see any actual uses of DOS-like operating systems. 'Providing' and 'Supporting' are not the same as 'Using'.

Where are the requirements for applications that MUST run on a DOS-like operating system that make Euphoria a viable programming language for them?

MSDOS is not an operating system: "DOS is more properly a set of relatively simple interrupt services." ( http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/M/MS-DOS.html ) You're practically running on the bare hardware.

This actually seems like a benefit for certain types of development (e.g. http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=11973&da=DESC&page=0&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC&category=all ) but I don't think Euphoria is suitable for this sort of thing at all.

107. Re: dos is a lost cause !

DerekParnell said...

'Providing' and 'Supporting' are not the same as 'Using'.

Yes. But they are 'Providing' and 'Supporting' for 'Using'. No?

DerekParnell said...

Where are the requirements for applications that MUST ...

I don't know. This is a question to 'providers' and 'supporters'.

108. Re: dos is a lost cause !

jimcbrown said...

Sorry, but it was just frustrating to hit the same wall over and over.

Of course, not all the issues were your fault - the DOS code had bitrotted by the time the snapshot was made and no longer built on its own.

Still, the DOS branch was presented as a snapshot of the repository as it was the momemnt before DOS support was stripped out. This turns out to be false. Of course, the entire dev team has responsibility here, as not one of us had caught this mistake before now.

jimcbrown said...

I think you are getting ahead of yourself here. Before that, do we have anyone who can maintain a version of Euphoria that runs under MS-DOS? Since I sent out my open call for dos developers - http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/112542.wc - nearly three years ago, exactly one person has expressed interest - but that person was not a programmer.

BRyan - who hasn't explicitly expressed interest in becoming an official DOS developer for Euphoria yet - has come the closest to becoming that DOS developer. However, and by no means am I disparaging BRyan's skills as a coder, but he was unable to deal with relatively simple cases of bitrot in the codebase (e.g. DOSFAMILY). I think he now can maintain what he has, but I suspect that he is probably not the DOS developer that I was looking for.

The view from the FreeDOS community seems to be that it wasn't worth the effort to revive Euphoria for DOS: http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=9244

If there was just one person who was willing and able to bring Euphoria back for DOS, then I'd say we should let them do it. The creator of Star Trek created his TV shows not for his audience, but for himself, after all (as recounted in a conversation between Wil Wheaton and Eugene Roddenberry, Jr. in Trek Nation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trek_Nation).

I believe that I'm not the only one who feels that way:

You said: 
"Sorry, but it was just frustrating to hit the same wall over and over." 
"Of course, not all the issues were your fault - the DOS code had bitrotted by the time" "the snapshot was made and no longer built on its own." 

You also said: 
"However, and by no means am I disparaging BRyan's skills as a coder, but he was unable" "to deal with relatively simple cases of bitrot in the codebase (e.g. DOSFAMILY)." 

I was given information that the code in the archive was correct and working code. 

After trying to compile the code for hours. 

I kept discovering all kinds of errors and conflicts which could not be compared with 
4.0.5 or any older code that existed.  

Of course it was ok for you to run into the wall and to encounter bitrotted 

but I should have been able to solve those simple problems. 

In addition it is still possible to use Euphoria DOS programs via NTVDM in WinXP 

which gives you a little more access to the hardware. 

As user's know trying to emulate DOS code with dos rescue is not an easy solution. 

109. Re: dos is a lost cause !

BRyan said...

You said: "Sorry, but it was just frustrating to hit the same wall over and over." "Of course, not all the issues were your fault - the DOS code had bitrotted by the time" "the snapshot was made and no longer built on its own."

One of the walls I hit was the missing files, caused by Derek's faulty branch creation. It was frustrating to hit it over and over.

Of course, it was not the only wall I hit. But it was especially frustrating because, unlike bitrot which probably should have been expected, this sort of mistake should never have happened in the first place.

BRyan said...

You also said: "However, and by no means am I disparaging BRyan's skills as a coder, but he was unable" "to deal with relatively simple cases of bitrot in the codebase (e.g. DOSFAMILY)."

Solving the DOSFAMILY issue was relatively simple. (Just add a few "-d DOSFAMILY" in the right places in the makefile.) Rewriting the makefile.wat to build the DOS version of the interpreter using only the DOS version of the interpreter, or rewriting configure.bat to remove the CMD.exe only features that it uses, is comparatively harder imvho.

Let alone trying to get std/sockets.e to work with euid via code from DOSLYNX or something.

BRyan said...

I was given information that the code in the archive was correct and working code.

Yes, this turned out not to be true at all. A combination of factors (the faulty initial branch creation, the loss of Jeremy's eubin which was meant for building this branch, various instances of bitrot) caused this to happen.

Still, I felt that a DOS dev should have been able to overcome these problems.

BRyan said...

After trying to compile the code for hours. I kept discovering all kinds of errors and conflicts which could not be compared with 4.0.5 or any older code that existed.

The only ones I saw were other instances of bitrot (e.g. http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/122160.wc and http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/122163.wc ) and self-inflicted issues like using the wrong trunk ( http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/122153.wc ).

BRyan said...

Of course it was ok for you to run into the wall and to encounter bitrotted but I should have been able to solve those simple problems.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh here.

You spent 24 days on a problem that was fixable in just a few lines. http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/121873.wc And finally gave up and called it quits. http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/122114.wc

Meanwhile, I was able to take the broken branch and get a working euid.exe in a little over three hours.

OTOH, Derek spent several months on a Windows Trace Color bug (a bug that was holding up the 4.1.0 release, mind you), which I was able to fix in even fewer lines than the workaround for DOSFAMILY.

Realistically speaking, you both were probably boggled with other real life obligations and (simply due to a lack of spare time) actually spent much less time on these respective tasks than a mere calendar would suggest.

I guess the most frustrating thing was to see you give up and claim it was impossible.

BRyan said...

In addition it is still possible to use Euphoria DOS programs via NTVDM in WinXP which gives you a little more access to the hardware. As user's know trying to emulate DOS code with dos rescue is not an easy solution.

I imagine that a lot of that DOS code has raw machine code and does all kind of low level things (like calling dos interrupts or even hooking interrupt vectors) that even dos_rescue doesn't emulate.

Windoze XP has already reached end-of-life... Let me know how NTVDM works on Windoze 8, 9, etc...

110. new DOS source

The corrected and updated DOS version of Euphoria should be made available. 

It should be placed on the download page. 

Then the users who are interested in it, can test their code on it. 

This will also show if there is any interest in using it. 

111. Re: new DOS source

BRyan said...

There were a lot of bugfixes made to v4 after dos was dropped, it needs to be run thru the suite of tests for memory leaks etc.

useless

112. Re: new DOS source

BRyan said...

I agree with this. However, technical difficulties prevent me from committing the fixes to the SVN repo at SF at this time.

BRyan said...

I'm not sure that I'd agree with this - that could imply a higher level of support than what would actually be provided.

In any case, the same technical difficulties prevent me from modifying the Downloads/Files section at SF at this time.

BRyan said...

Interest in using it is a secondary issue. The primary one remains - who will maintain/support this codebase? None of the current devs have the time/experience/inclination to do this.

BRyan, are you volunteering for this job?

113. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...

Interest in using it is a secondary issue. The primary one remains - who will maintain/support this codebase? None of the current devs have the time/experience/inclination to do this.

BRyan, are you volunteering for this job?

Hi,
I do not care in using a Euphoria Dos-Version. I don't even can understand why someone will use this.
But i have to disagree with you.
Interest in a project is primary, if there is no interest, you want need a maintainer.

As i read it here on the forum, you now have a working codebase for Dos?
Why not release it to the public? Even on OpenEUphoria.org (you can still mark it as unsupported,deprecated etc.)

Dos is not a moving target (like Windows or Linux) development in Dos seems to be really slow (i'am joking...)

So, new developers for Dos have a lot of time to learn.

Maybe, one of the persons that are only interrested in a Dos Version is the next Developer? Maybe, this take some time.

BTW, i do not believe that someone really invest a lot of time in a Dos Version. But i think the source should be released.
If you can provide a zip File I'am willing to put it on my homepage.
Andreas

114. Re: new DOS source

andi49 said...

if there is no interest, you want need a maintainer.

Are you saying we don't need a maintainer for projects that do have a lot of interest from the general public?

andi49 said...

Interest in a project is primary,

Well, by analogy, there is plenty of interest in cloning a dinosaur. But just because there is a lot of interest in cloning a dinosaur does not mean we'll get a cloned dinosaur.

Likewise, there may be plently of interest in having an Euphoria version for DOS, but if no one can maintain or fix bugs in that project, then it's still a dead project.

I always assumed that we did have major interest in a DOS version (major users bring BRyan, kinz, achury, eukat, but also probably a 'silent' majority), but we had to drop DOS support despite that since there was no longer any individual capable of maintaining it.

andi49 said...

Why not release it to the public? Even on OpenEUphoria.org (you can still mark it as unsupported,deprecated etc.)

But i think the source should be released.

It's already available to the public, though not all in one place.

The repository should be updated (so it is all in one place and easy to download), but due to technical difficulties I can't do it atm. (It'd probably be easier to add an hg repo for it than to deal with SF, but I'm reluctant to personally invest the major effort that would be involved until/unless a DOS developer actually does join the team.)

andi49 said...

Dos is not a moving target (like Windows or Linux) development in Dos seems to be really slow (i'am joking...)

Maybe, one of the persons that are only interrested in a Dos Version is the next Developer? Maybe, this take some time.

Agreed. The source is out there, and the call for dos developers is still open. Three years and counting....

115. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

Are you saying we don't need a maintainer for projects that do have a lot of interest from the general public?

No, actually the reverse. We don't need a maintainer for projects that have little interest. It would not be a wise thing to actively maintain an edition of Euphoria that very few people might ever use. That is the situation as I see it right now. Currently there is next to zero interest in developing applications in Euphoria to run on exclusively DOS-like platforms. And please note, that 'console' apps are a different thing altogether.

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

Well, by analogy, there is plenty of interest in cloning a dinosaur. But just because there is a lot of interest in cloning a dinosaur does not mean we'll get a cloned dinosaur.

Likewise, there may be plently of interest in having an Euphoria version for DOS, but if no one can maintain or fix bugs in that project, then it's still a dead project.

I always assumed that we did have major interest in a DOS version (major users bring BRyan, kinz, achury, eukat, but also probably a 'silent' majority), but we had to drop DOS support despite that since there was no longer any individual capable of maintaining it.

But is there? Are you assuming that people want to develop applications - using Euphoria - that are designed to explicitly run on DOS platforms? I'm not so sure that there is such an interest. Especially as we have no-one holding their hand up here - and if not here then where?

Also, its not that there are no current developers who are not "capable of maintaining it" - because there are certainly are - it's more that there is little interest in working on something that is is little value to the community.

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

Agreed. The source is out there, and the call for dos developers is still open. Three years and counting....

I'm definitely of the opinion that it is more important to determine if there is a genuine and significant interest in a DOS edition, before we find maintainers for such a thing.

116. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...

<snip>

I'm definitely of the opinion that it is more important to determine if there is a genuine and significant interest in a DOS edition, before we find maintainers for such a thing.

I am of the opinion the dos version matters just as much. Assuming it has the same command words as olde msdos5, will it be actually msdos5, or will it also be a strict clone of msdos5, or a modern flat memory model 32bit multitasking dos and a filesystem above FAT32? The hardware we have now to run dos on is 20 years beyond what we had in the msdos6 days, i feel using an advanced dos on it is a Good Thing, but throwing that hardware out because dos won't use it is a Bad Thing.

Someone once said the dos underlaying win95 could be yanked out and used seprately, i'd vote for that, except for the copyrights. And limitation to FAT32.

useless

117. Re: new DOS source

Kat said...

I am of the opinion the dos version matters just as much.

The "dos version" of Euphoria? Is that what you're talking about? If so, why does it matter and "just as much" as what?

118. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

The "dos version" of Euphoria? Is that what you're talking about? If so, why does it matter and "just as much" as what?

"the dos version" = "that version of dos"
"Eu version 4, Eu version 3.11" . "MSdos version 5, MSdos version 7.1"

That said, i now give up already, it's not worth getting sucked into more word games.

useless

119. Re: new DOS source

useless_ said...
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

"the dos version" = "that version of dos"
"Eu version 4, Eu version 3.11" . "MSdos version 5, MSdos version 7.1"

That said, i now give up already, it's not worth getting sucked into more word games.

useless

I'm sorry Kat, even though you might see this as word gaming, I certainly don't. It's just my difficulty in understanding what you are specifically talking about. This is MY failure to understand, not your failure to express yourself. It's me that needs help here, so I thought I'd ask for help. Please don't give up on my lack of verbal skills so easily.

Let me explain my misunderstanding.

When you wrote "I am of the opinion the dos version matters just as much.", I interpreted that as "I am of the opinion the dos version OF EUPHORIA matters just as much AS OTHER VERSIONS OF EUPHORIA.", and then when you went on to talk about different versions of DOS rather than different versions of Euphoria, I was confused. I can now see how your statement could have been interpreted instead as "I am of the opinion the VERSION OF DOS matters just as much AS DETERMINING THE LEVEL OF INTEREST IN A DOS EDITION OF EUPHORIA."

Please don't be offended or upset when someone asks you clarify something. The most likely reason for such a request is simply that the person asking needs your help.

120. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

I ask this since I had a hard time parsing andi49's sentence, so I'm not actually sure at all what is being said here.

DerekParnell said...

No, actually the reverse. We don't need a maintainer for projects that have little interest. It would not be a wise thing to actively maintain an edition of Euphoria that very few people might ever use.

I'm much more inclined to agree with this than with what I think andi49 said. However, ultimately I feel that if someone's joy is to do it, then we should let them. That's the FOSS way.

DerekParnell said...

That is the situation as I see it right now. Currently there is next to zero interest in developing applications in Euphoria to run on exclusively DOS-like platforms.

No one said "exclusively". Don't compare apples to oranges.

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

But is there? Are you assuming that people want to develop applications - using Euphoria - that are designed to explicitly run on DOS platforms?

I don't need to assume this - we already know people on this forum who want to use Euphoria to develop new applications that are designed to explicitly run on DOS platforms. In addition, they also want to be able to maintain and extend existing applications that ran on DOS in earlier versions.

DerekParnell said...

I'm not so sure that there is such an interest. Especially as we have no-one holding their hand up here - and if not here then where?

Um, BRyan (and his claimed userbase that he's trying to support), achury, eukat, ....

DerekParnell said...

it's more that there is little interest in working on something that is is little value to the community.

Based on the lack of answer to my open call for dos developers, I'd agree that there seems to be little interest in working on something like this. On the other hand, I'd argue that supporting DOS is worth more than supporting Windoze 9x - but we continue to do that since a few users still use it and supporting them is so cheap (so we are able to distinguish ourselves from other things that have fropped 9x support).

The full cost-benefit analysis matters here - and as Jeremy pointed out, DOS support was extremely expensive. Therefore, it's reasonable to ask for a higher level of interest for DOS. Ultimately, though, I feel that if someone's joy in life is to do this, why not let them?

DerekParnell said...

Also, its not that there are no current developers who are not "capable of maintaining it" - because there are certainly are -

Please identity them. I, a current member of the developer team, certainly have no idea who they could be.

jimcbrown said...

Remember that the initial catalyst for dropping DOS support was a bug that no one could fix: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/107540.wc#107540 http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=23280577

That bug (getting call_back() to work on DOS, something that had never been the case in all of the history of Euphoria) is arguably still there. Who on this forum or de list knows enough about C and DOS extenders to get the machine code for a callback through the Causeway DOS extender so it can be called without crashing the entire application? Even Rob Craig probably didn't know how to do this (which was most likely the reason that call_back() was not supported/implemented for DOS during the time when he maintained it).

(Of course, even if someone could do it, it doesn't mean that they should be forced to do it. It's not like any of the current devs are getting paid to maintain any edition of Euphoria, after all. Everyone is doing it out of fun or love or whatever...)

DerekParnell said...

Sure, if we have to raise money and pay a professional software house to do it or something. However, I don't see the harm in testing the waters to see if anyone out there is simply interested in becoming a maintainer for it - perhaps because it's fun for them, or because they think it's neat to run a modern language on a retro environment, etc. Since I know we definitely have some users who would be interested in having someone else maintain it,

I think this is a win-win situation - those who are interested in a DOS edition (even if it it turns out to be a super tiny minority) get what they want, the maintainer gets what they want (fun, since they're doing it just for fun, or whatever), and since the rest of us don't need to get involved, it doesn't cost us anything.

Besides, there is actually some work involved in determining if there is an interest in something or not, to the point that companies spend tens of thousands of on it (e.g. http://www.fastcompany.com/1713068/insta-focus-group-gutchecks-diy-market-research ).

I don't think we need to go that far, but since you put so much important on actually determining the interest level in a DOS edition, I have to ask this.

Derek, are you willing to run a poll - or gather the data using other methods - to actually and accurately gauge the interest level in a DOS edition? If you aren't, then perhaps you would be unwise to simply assume that there is "next to zero interest" without any evidence to back it up.

121. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...

Derek, are you willing to run a poll - or gather the data using other methods - to actually and accurately gauge the interest level in a DOS edition? If you aren't, then perhaps you would be unwise to simply assume that there is "next to zero interest" without any evidence to back it up.

You need to figure that a poll here is measuring only those who are active here and who have predetermined to use Eu on dos. A poll here won't measure those who use dos and have not yet used Eu, or those here who use Eu and have never seen a dos computer. Or those who use smaller computers like Arduino, who might consider a dos machine as a step up.

I am not interested in "retrocomputing" as much as a computer giving me unfettered hardware access with a reasonable OS and LBA harddrive access. In a way, i don't see much distinction between a 80486 running msdos5 and a modern micro or picoatx mobo, except for the quantification of the peripherals (hdd size, main memory size, filesystem type, ethernet speed, etc). To me, make it run 32bit flat memory dos instead of linux and i'd be pleased to run Eu on it. Maybe that's your "out" to easy dos support: find a way to make it look exactly like the dos i described, but in a shell on box that boots nix.

useless

122. Re: new DOS source

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

You need to figure that a poll here is measuring only those who are active here and who have predetermined to use Eu on dos.

Well, I didn't necessarily mean a poll here. Though it would be a logical place to start, there are probably other places that should be polled as well (e.g. simtel forums, freedos mailing lists, etc).

eukat said...

A poll here won't measure those who use dos and have not yet used Eu, or those here who use Eu and have never seen a dos computer.

Agreed.

eukat said...

Or those who use smaller computers like Arduino, who might consider a dos machine as a step up.

Might being the opperative word here. I suspect that it'd not be the case for most users, who would use the Arduino for very low level operations (like emulating an SID chip or acting as a microcontroller) that a full fledged DOS computer, with its clunky BIOS requirement and need to have some kind of random access hardware (flopy or hard disk) would be ill-suited for. Again, though, there's no accounting for individual taste.

eukat said...

I am not interested in "retrocomputing" as much as a computer giving me unfettered hardware access with a reasonable OS and LBA harddrive access.

Sadly, with things like TPM and VT, that "unfettered" hardware access is growing more and more distant at the hardware level itself.

eukat said...

In a way, i don't see much distinction between a 80486 running msdos5 and a modern micro or picoatx mobo, except for the quantification of the peripherals (hdd size, main memory size, filesystem type, ethernet speed, etc).

I see some differences that may make a huge difference to some. E.g. USB legacy support causes a timer to run that can not be masked out (not even with STI/CLI) that takes up to 400-500us. Older systems that don't support USB at all don't have this problem and can run code that must be run at 25-30 us resolution.

This sort of thing may not be a problem for you personally, but it's probably a problem for someone out there.

Also, there is no 64bit version of DOS, so it's still not possible to use more than 4GB of ram in a single DOS application.

eukat said...

To me, make it run 32bit flat memory dos instead of linux and i'd be pleased to run Eu on it. Maybe that's your "out" to easy dos support: find a way to make it look exactly like the dos i described, but in a shell on box that boots nix.

DOSEmu - which runs in a shell (e.g. bash) on a box that boots nix, has had support for direct hardware access for over a decade. http://www.dosemu.org/docs/README/1.2/config.html

Edit: And you can run eui (or other nix commands) from inside a DOSEmu session via DOSEmu's unix.com utility. http://www.dosemu.org/stable/announce

123. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

Or those who use smaller computers like Arduino, who might consider a dos machine as a step up.

Might being the opperative word here. I suspect that it'd not be the case for most users, who would use the Arduino for very low level operations (like emulating an SID chip or acting as a microcontroller) that a full fledged DOS computer, with its clunky BIOS requirement and need to have some kind of random access hardware (flopy or hard disk) would be ill-suited for. Again, though, there's no accounting for individual taste.

What do you mean by "clunky"? The arduino has a bootloader in it's avr, and both dos and Eu insulates the programmer from the bios unless the programmer wants at it. And "modern" is also an operative word, meaning a small ramdrive of some flavor as C:\. For functionality, i don't see dos as full fledged anything, it's simply not running a full fledged gui-type modern OS, on the other paw, there's FAT12 and FAT16 (and maybe FAT32) for the Arduino, color dotmatrix led display shields, and usb and lan (wired and wireless) ports. What you call "full fledged dos computer" is only adding bigger monitor support, more ram, faster cpu, and more disk storage.

jimcbrown said...

Also, there is no 64bit version of DOS, so it's still not possible to use more than 4GB of ram in a single DOS application.

Neither does Euphoria on winxp.

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

To me, make it run 32bit flat memory dos instead of linux and i'd be pleased to run Eu on it. Maybe that's your "out" to easy dos support: find a way to make it look exactly like the dos i described, but in a shell on box that boots nix.

DOSEmu - which runs in a shell (e.g. bash) on a box that boots nix, has had support for direct hardware access for over a decade. http://www.dosemu.org/docs/README/1.2/config.html

Edit: And you can run eui (or other nix commands) from inside a DOSEmu session via DOSEmu's unix.com utility. http://www.dosemu.org/stable/announce

Even if i read it and got competent with dosemu, there's not a Eu version to run on dos, other than 3.11, right? Frankly, the complicated linux setup and seemingly forever ongoing compiling sessions i hear about put me off linux. But it would be a way to instantly get modern hardware for dos to run on, and maybe in a way that's easier to port Eu to?

useless

124. Re: new DOS source

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

What do you mean by "clunky"? The arduino has a bootloader in it's avr,

The BIOS is required to boot DOS. For the Arduino, a bootloader is optional and it can be removed in its entirety.

Also, the Arduino bootloader is only 2K (and can be shrunk to 0.5K http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,38002.0.html ) while a typical modern BIOS can be as big as 1024K (e.g. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/check-bios-version-linux/ )

eukat said...

and both dos and Eu insulates the programmer from the bios unless the programmer wants at it.

Agreed. But you can't get rid of it completely if you don't want it/need it - at best you can just bypass it after DOS has finished booting. That level of total control is denied.

eukat said...

For functionality, i don't see dos as full fledged anything, it's simply not running a full fledged gui-type modern OS,

Agreed.

eukat said...

there's FAT12 and FAT16 (and maybe FAT32) for the Arduino, color dotmatrix led display shields, and usb and lan (wired and wireless) ports. What you call "full fledged dos computer" is only adding bigger monitor support, more ram, faster cpu, and more disk storage.

I know that there are actually attempts to do build full fledged computer systems out of the Arduino (e.g. http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/19793/making-a-functional-computer-out-of-an-arduino-uno ). It's not so much about the "full fledged" bit, but rather the historical cruft that a computer capable of running DOS on it would bring with it that makes it unsuitable as a replacement for an arduino.

Of course, you could take the requirement for that stuff out of DOS (e.g. using the FreeDOS or DR-DOS/OpenDOS code as a base, remove the need to boot from a BIOS), but anyone with the skills to do that could probably get DOS running on the Arduino itself. I take that to mean that virtually all the niches that a computer running DOS could fulfill, could also be done by either a modern server system running Linux/GNU or an Ardiuno.

eukat said...

Even if i read it and got competent with dosemu, there's not a Eu version to run on dos, other than 3.11, right?

Ignoring alphas and prealphas, and assuming one means a native DOS edition port, then yes. However, the idea here was to "cheat" by running the Linux/GNU edition of Euphoria on DOS through this DOSEmu setup.

eukat said...

and seemingly forever ongoing compiling sessions i hear about

You should be able to get DOSEmu installed from a binary distribution (no compiling!). In general though this can be true (I once spent three days trying to get wxUniversal to compile on a Linux/GNU system, though this was over a decade ago).

eukat said...

Frankly, the complicated linux setup put me off linux.

Agreed - there is a lot of complicated setup involved in getting DOSEmu to be able to grant direct access to the hardware. You'd probably be on your own if you wanted to give that a try.

eukat said...

But it would be a way to instantly get modern hardware for dos to run on, and maybe in a way that's easier to port Eu to?

Yes, precisely.

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

Neither does Euphoria on winxp.

I haven't personally tested this, but you should be able to use more than 4GB of ram in a single Euphoria application that runs on 64bit XP using the 64bit version of Euphoria.

eukat said...

And "modern" is also an operative word, meaning a small ramdrive of some flavor as C:\.

How is this modern? Ramdisks have been around since the time of CP/M. Linux/GNU has had support for using ramdisks as the root since virtually the beginning.

Edit: My mistake. Booting DOS from C: as a ramdisk does seem to be relatively modern: http://www.styma.org/bootcdrom/bootcdrom.shtml

I assumed that, since Linux/GNU has had support for using ramdisks a root for several decades now, that something as flexible and extendable as DOS should have had it for just as long as well. My mistake.

125. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

What do you mean by "clunky"? The arduino has a bootloader in it's avr,

The BIOS is required to boot DOS. For the Arduino, a bootloader is optional and it can be removed in its entirety.

Also, the Arduino bootloader is only 2K (and can be shrunk to 0.5K http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,38002.0.html ) while a typical modern BIOS can be as big as 1024K (e.g. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/check-bios-version-linux/ )

eukat said...

and both dos and Eu insulates the programmer from the bios unless the programmer wants at it.

Agreed. But you can't get rid of it completely if you don't want it/need it - at best you can just bypass it after DOS has finished booting. That level of total control is denied.

But who cares about the bios anyhow, it's there on the motherboard when you buy it! You do not need to get rid of it. Use it directly or not, your choice.

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

And "modern" is also an operative word, meaning a small ramdrive of some flavor as C:\.

How is this modern? Ramdisks have been around since the time of CP/M. Linux/GNU has had support for using ramdisks as the root since virtually the beginning.

You had previously said :

jimcbrown said...

and need to have some kind of random access hardware (flopy or hard disk)

Which as you now admit, isn't true.

useless

126. Re: new DOS source

eukat said...

But who cares about the bios anyhow, it's there on the motherboard when you buy it! You do not need to get rid of it. Use it directly or not, your choice.

Because it can still get in the way even if I don't want to use it. E.g. that 400-500us timing loop for USB legacy support.

Also, even if I'm not using it, it's still taking up space in memory since it's mapped into the address space. What if I want to use that space for something else?

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

jimcbrown said...

jimcbrown said...

Edit: My mistake. Booting DOS from C: as a ramdisk does seem to be relatively modern: http://www.styma.org/bootcdrom/bootcdrom.shtml

I assumed that, since Linux/GNU has had support for using ramdisks a root for several decades now, that something as flexible and extendable as DOS should have had it for just as long as well. My mistake.

Agreed, I admit that it isn't true - with modern technology you can downgrade to booting DOS from sequential access hardware instead! http://www.geekinterview.com/question_details/34494

Edit: The original point that I intended to make stands. An arduino remains superior as it doesn't need random access hardware or a CD drive to load its code, unlike DOS.

127. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

Because it can still get in the way even if I don't want to use it. E.g. that 400-500us timing loop for USB legacy support.

Also, even if I'm not using it, it's still taking up space in memory since it's mapped into the address space. What if I want to use that space for something else?

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

jimcbrown said...

jimcbrown said...

Agreed, I admit that it isn't true - with modern technology you can downgrade to booting DOS from sequential access hardware instead! http://www.geekinterview.com/question_details/34494

Edit: The original point that I intended to make stands. An arduino remains superior as it doesn't need random access hardware or a CD drive to load its code, unlike DOS.

The Pi requires a memory card, and a dos pc can be booted from a pata ssd (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive). After you put the minimum sized mobo ram you can buy today into the pc, the space taken up by a 1 Mbyte bios is trivial. You are sweating a megabyte (vs an Arduino?), and i am talking of gigabytes on a pico/mini/microATX mobo. Besides, the bios can be copied into ram and the prom on the mobo paged out, it's done, executing from the bios copy in ram is faster.

I am going to drop this topic now.

useless

128. Re: new DOS source

eukat said...

The Pi requires a memory card,

Agreed. It requires an SD card. The Arduino does not. Don't change the topic.

eukat said...

and a dos pc can be booted from a pata ssd (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive).

Which brings along all the cruft involved in booting from and using random access hardware again (as that pata ssd emulates the interface to a standard hdd, even if it isn't random access itself).

Pata ssds are about the size of a standard hard disk. An SD card is a lot smaller. Both the Pi and the Arduino take up less room (in terms of physical space used) than a conventional DOS system.

eukat said...

After you put the minimum sized mobo ram you can buy today into the pc, the space taken up by a 1 Mbyte bios is trivial.

Agreed.

eukat said...

You are sweating a megabyte (vs an Arduino?), and i am talking of gigabytes on a pico/mini/microATX mobo.

Of which you can only use 4.

Anyways, the point is that as one of the Real Programmers(tm) who knows what they are doing, I should have the right and the option to get rid of that 1MB if I don't want or need it.

If someone were to ask me why I felt that I need to have this right, I'd counter with "Well, why should the programmer want direct access to the hardware when it can be emulated perfectly by a full fledged modern OS and dosbox?" It all boils down to the same thing.

eukat said...

Besides, the bios can be copied into ram and the prom on the mobo paged out, it's done, executing from the bios copy in ram is faster.

I was not aware that it was possible to page out or overwrite the BIOS in this manner. My research has consistently suggested the opposite is true.

Even if this is true for legacy BIOSes, would this still hold true for its successor, EFI? Perhaps this is a moot point, considering how difficult it is to get DOS to run on an EFI-only system...

129. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

It doesn't matter what I think or say. 

There are 3906 views of this DOS subject, the next DOS subject has 215 views, and 
the next DOS subject has 657 views. 

I saw the Call for DOS Developers and I looked at the source code and 
tried to run the archive source code and it had many errors. 

So I tried to help remove the errors but did not know about all the changes 
that had been made to the build procedures. 

I followed directions exactly that I was given step by step until the source 
could be compiled. 

Because I could not understand all the changes I was criticized for not 
understanding the code and should have been able to solve the problems quickly. 

I never claimed to be a wizard, a mind reader or a Developer. 

I maybe 77 years old but I am not stupid or too old to think. 

I've been working with computer hardware, software, and electronics for 60 years 
from mechanical analog up to present day computers. 

If someone reads the source.doc in the source directory. It doesn't explain how 
to work on the latest source code. I've have features that I've been able to 
add to the pure euphoria but not to the real source.  

There is no written documentation to explain how to add a feature to today's 
source code. 

There is no written explanation of how to pass calls between the frontend and backend. 

Matt gave a example to me that I could do it by backend.e using machine function 65. 

But I could find no examples in the source that actually did that. 

User's have always contributed to features but they can not do it; if only the 
developers know how the source basically works. 

130. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

BRyan said...

It doesn't matter what I think or say.

I disagree. I think it does.

BRyan said...

There are 3906 views of this DOS subject, the next DOS subject has 215 views, and the next DOS subject has 657 views.

I wouldn't trust that as an accurate indicator, as one user might just be hitting reload repeatedly.

BRyan said...

I saw the Call for DOS Developers and I looked at the source code and tried to run the archive source code and it had many errors.

So I tried to help remove the errors but did not know about all the changes that had been made to the build procedures.

I followed directions exactly that I was given step by step until the source could be compiled.

I think it's reasonable here to be able to ask for help from the larger dev community on details like the build process. Certainly, the dev team is at fault for 1) releasing the DOS branch without properly understanding the level of bitrot that had already crept in and 2) for mungling the release itself.

BRyan said...

If someone reads the source.doc in the source directory. It doesn't explain how to work on the latest source code.

That is out of date and should be removed. Those instructions have been superceded by the wiki at http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/Compiling40.wc but even that's out of date with regards to the yet-unreleased 4.1 (which uses GCC and the standard configure - make process).

The build instructions should be updated once 4.1.0 is released, but this is a different matter than that of supporting the DOS branch.

BRyan said...

There is no written explanation of how to pass calls between the frontend and backend.

As the person who wrote the code to do this (because before I wrote it, there was no way to do it at all - and you still can't do it in the 3.1.1 or 4.0.x codebase afaik), I feel that I am the one reponsible for the lack of documentation regarding this.

I can not think up of any reason that would justify this lack of documentation. I believe that the author of this feature should take full responsibility and provide adaquate documentation for it.

BRyan said...

Matt gave a example to me that I could do it by backend.e using machine function 65.

But I could find no examples in the source that actually did that.

See http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/bdcbd57525de/source/backend.e#l284 for an example of how to pass a call to the backend.

See http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/bdcbd57525de/source/be_machine.c#l2879 for an example of how to retrieve a call from the frontend in the backend.

See http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/bdcbd57525de/source/be_coverage.c and http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/bdcbd57525de/source/be_syncolor.c#l65 for examples of how to actually make the call to the frontend code from the backend.

See http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/bdcbd57525de/source/be_machine.c#l2624 for the implementation of the method itself that makes this possible.

The reason you couldn't find it was probably because you were looking in the wrong places. E.g. the 4.0 codebase doesn't implement or support this: http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/file/74222c439548/source/backend.e#l338

BRyan said...

I've have features that I've been able to add to the pure euphoria but not to the real source.

There is no written documentation to explain how to add a feature to today's source code.

User's have always contributed to features but they can not do it; if only the developers know how the source basically works.

This hasn't changed from the 3.1.1 days. If you can add a new feature to the C backend in 3.1.1, then you should have an easy time of doing it with 4.0.5 or even 4.1.0 as well.

Of course, I think having explicit documentation on how to add a feature is a very good idea.

BRyan said...

I never claimed to be a wizard, a mind reader or a Developer.

I maybe 77 years old but I am not stupid or too old to think.

I've been working with computer hardware, software, and electronics for 60 years from mechanical analog up to present day computers.

Because I could not understand all the changes I was criticized for not understanding the code and should have been able to solve the problems quickly.

Well, you have a working codebase now. It should be easy enough for someone as experienced as you to prove me and my criticism wrong. ;)

131. Re: Open Call for DOS Developers

jimcbrown said...
BRyan said...

I've have features that I've been able to add to the pure euphoria but not to the real source.

There is no written documentation to explain how to add a feature to today's source code.

User's have always contributed to features but they can not do it; if only the developers know how the source basically works.

This hasn't changed from the 3.1.1 days. If you can add a new feature to the C backend in 3.1.1, then you should have an easy time of doing it with 4.0.5 or even 4.1.0 as well.

I quite agree with this. I learned how to work with the source way back when through a lot of hours of study and trial and error. Some things are more complicated than they used to be, but OTOH, our suite of unit tests cover more than sanity.ex ever did (though it covered/s a few code paths that we did not).

Matt

132. Re: new DOS source

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. It took some time read all the posts.

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

Excuse my bad english please.
What i meant is: You only need a maintainer for the project 'if' there is any interest.
If there is no interest, then you do not need a maintainer.

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

Well, by analogy, there is plenty of interest in using Windows or Linux. But very few people have the ability to maintain the sourcecode of these projects

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

The repository should be updated (so it is all in one place and easy to download), but due to technical difficulties I can't do it atm. (It'd probably be easier to add an hg repo for it than to deal with SF, but I'm reluctant to personally invest the major effort that would be involved until/unless a DOS developer actually does join the team.)

That's all I'am askin for. Just put a working copy of the project in 'one' place and give everyone interested a chance to use it.

jimcbrown said...
andi49 said...

Again, just put the source togehter, in one place, so the not so experienced developers have a starting point.

To make makes things more clear:
I'am not interested in a DOS-Port (and i mean DOS not Windows Console).
I can't believe anyone uses pure Dos as a Operating System, except for some older production machines somewhere in the industry (for controling purposes etc.)

But i think if there is a download for a 'working' project, then the discussion about a Dos-Port will end...
Andreas

133. Re: new DOS source

andi49 said...

Well, by analogy, there is plenty of interest in using Windows or Linux. But very few people have the ability to maintain the sourcecode of these projects

The Linux kernel is quite large, thus it's difficult for one person to maintain the entire thing. However, if we break it down to the level of, say, individual kernel modules, then I'd contend that there are plenty of people around who use the Linux kernel who can maintain one individual piece. (I say this as someone who had worked on and played with kernel modules in the past.)

Of course, there's Joe Schmoe who isn't a programmer at all, but likes to use Linux/GNU because it's free (as in beer) and Joe is enough of a power user to be able to deal with upgrading distros and so on. Joe can't fix bugs in the kernel itself, but that's not a problem as long as there are programmers who are willing to maintain the Linux kernel.

Windoze is a much better example in some ways. It's not open source, so if M$ decides to drop it (hypothetically of course), then it'll be dead, no matter how many users want to keep it up and running. This has already happened to OS/2. In it's day, A/UX (Apple's Unix) also had many fans. Because of legal (e.g. copyright) restrictions, the number of people who were able and willing to keep these OSes alive dropped to zero.

The case of the DOS edition of Euphoria is different - it's not the copyright restrictions but the lack of the right kind of low level knowledge that prevents the current devs and the current users of euid/ex.exe from being able to keep it going. This is a much better situtation, as someone might one day come along who can breathe it back to life (whereas to revive OS/2, someone would have to right buy out the various legal rights from M$ and IBM and who knows who else).

andi49 said...

Excuse my bad english please.
What i meant is: You only need a maintainer for the project 'if' there is any interest.
If there is no interest, then you do not need a maintainer.

Ah, ok. I understand now.

andi49 said...

That's all I'am askin for. Just put a working copy of the project in 'one' place and give everyone interested a chance to use it.

Again, just put the source togehter, in one place, so the not so experienced developers have a starting point.

No argument from me on this point.

andi49 said...

But i think if there is a download for a 'working' project, then the discussion about a Dos-Port will end...

I doubt it. After all, technically, this is already true - 3.1.1 source and binaries have been available for years - and still are.

134. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...

The case of the DOS edition of Euphoria is different - it's not the copyright restrictions but the lack of the right kind of low level knowledge that prevents the current devs and the current users of euid/ex.exe from being able to keep it going. This is a much better situtation, as someone might one day come along who can breathe it back to life (whereas to revive OS/2, someone would have to right buy out the various legal rights from M$ and IBM and who knows who else).

I have the ability to maintain a DOS edition of Euphoria, but I don't want to do that. I have no interest in supporting something that I think is a pointless exercise. I used to code DOS applications using assembler and BIOS calls (official and unofficial), and I've written plenty of TSRs and device drivers. I think I still have the full source code for the IBM-DOS bios.

But anyhow, I'm no longer sure about what it is you are talking of. Are we talking about an edition of Euphoria that runs and can be used to develop applications that run on MS-DOS? Or are you talking about developing a version of MS-DOS in Euphoria - an Euphoria-coded operating system?

I'm confused because MS-DOS is copyrighted, as is OS/2 and AmigaDOS etc etc etc ... but what has that got to do with developing an Edition of Euphoria to run on those platforms. One doesn't need to "buy out the various legal rights" in order to run those operating systems nor to develop applications that run on them - and Euphoria is just an application from that point of view.

So again I ask, is there any real need for an edition of Euphoria (v4+) that runs on the (or any) DOS operating system? Anyone?

Now if someone wanted to port Euphoria to AmigaDOS I might be interested because I'm still in love with that opsys, even though almost no-one uses it anymore.

135. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...

<snip>

I'm confused because MS-DOS is copyrighted, as is OS/2 and AmigaDOS etc etc etc ...

<snip>

Which boils down to: if you do not already have those dos, you cannot legally get them, because the owners don't distribute them any more. This is another plus for using a modern foss version of dos.

FWIW, i put a zip file of what was advertised as the last dos-compatable Eu v4 build online at http://DesignerThinking.com/eu40-2434.zip , no warrantees, no source, no includes, no batteries.

useless

136. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...

... I don't want to do that [maintain a DOS edition]. I have no interest in supporting something that I think is a pointless exercise.

Now if someone wanted to port Euphoria to AmigaDOS I might be interested because I'm still in love with that opsys, even though almost no-one uses it anymore.

Which is the central point of this "Open Call for DOS Developers" - there might be someone out there for whom porting Euphoria to FreeDOS (et al) might be a labour of love. The original genesis of FreeDOS itself falls under this category.

DerekParnell said...

But anyhow, I'm no longer sure about what it is you are talking of. Are we talking about an edition of Euphoria that runs and can be used to develop applications that run on MS-DOS? Or are you talking about developing a version of MS-DOS in Euphoria - an Euphoria-coded operating system?

The former.

DerekParnell said...

I'm confused because MS-DOS is copyrighted, as is OS/2 and AmigaDOS etc etc etc ... but what has that got to do with developing an Edition of Euphoria to run on those platforms. One doesn't need to "buy out the various legal rights" in order to run those operating systems nor to develop applications that run on them - and Euphoria is just an application from that point of view.

I was continuing the examples from andi49, which were all operating systems. It's not necessary to buy out the legal rights to develop applications that run on them. It is necessary to buy out the legal rights to be able to continue to develop the operating systems themselves.

I could just as easily used Corel WordPerfect, WordStar, or Lotus 1-2-3 as examples.

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

I have the ability to maintain a DOS edition of Euphoria,

I used to code DOS applications using assembler and BIOS calls (official and unofficial), and I've written plenty of TSRs and device drivers. I think I still have the full source code for the IBM-DOS bios.

Just so we're clear, you are doing a complete 180 from what you said nearly 4 years ago. http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=23280577

If you say this, I don't believe it's possible for me to prove or disprove a claim like this, so I'll have to take your word for it. A justification for the 180 would make this easier to swallow, naturally....

I would also tenatively advise that finding and fixing issues in a 32bit DOS program (or even the DOS Extender itself) is vastly different than writing 16bit DOS TSRs / device drivers in assembly language. Thus you may very well have a wide experience with developing DOS code in general, and perhaps even managed to keep it fresh and active (as opposed to abandoning all DOS work years or decades ago and to the point that it'd take some time to get back into it), but it still may not be enough of the right kind.

DerekParnell said...

So again I ask, is there any real need for an edition of Euphoria (v4+) that runs on the (or any) DOS operating system? Anyone?

I agree that those who believe that they have evidence that many users want Euphoria on DOS, or simply want it for themselves, should speak up now and show their evidence or state their reasons.

Are you stating, Derek, that if you did in fact (hypothetically) see enough of a real need, that you would indeed begin maintaining the DOS edition of Euphoria again, despite your personal lack of interest in such a task otherwise? How would you define a "real need" and what would it take to get you to do this (hypothetically of course) ?

137. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...

I have the ability to maintain a DOS edition of Euphoria, but I don't want to do that. I have no interest in supporting something that I think is a pointless exercise.

I may have been a bit harsh in my previous email. I agree with your essential point - even if someone does have the technical skills to continue supporting a DOS edition of Euphoria, that person may very well lack the free time or interest to do so. All three are necessary.

138. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...

Just so we're clear, you are doing a complete 180 from what you said nearly 4 years ago. http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=23280577

Huh? You lost me (again). I don't get the connections you are hinting at.

jimcbrown said...

Are you stating, Derek, that if you did in fact (hypothetically) see enough of a real need, that you would indeed begin maintaining the DOS edition of Euphoria again, despite your personal lack of interest in such a task otherwise? How would you define a "real need" and what would it take to get you to do this (hypothetically of course) ?

If a 'real need' was demonstrated, then the probability of me assisting in supporting the needed tool would be greatly increased. Of course, other factors would have to be considered in conjunction.

'real need' =(approx) 'more than a few independant developers demanding Euphoria support for a specific platform'

"what would it take to get you to do this" Hmmmm ... payment for services rendered would go a long way smile

139. Re: new DOS source

Let me suggest something i cannot do: make a Eu install that takes over the C: boot sequence, loading an anorexic bare-bones Eu interpreter which looks for Eu source code in a specified location (which anyone could provide), and then executes it. If you release Eu source code that automates modifying the boot sector and installing the bootup code, anyone could write an OS-less app or a new "dos" entirely in Euphoria. Naturally, bootup may be slow unless someone replaces the boot interpreter with a real app, like a shell.

useless

140. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...

"what would it take to get you to do this" Hmmmm ... payment for services rendered would go a long way smile

Now you've set a higher standard than for any other edition or version of Euphoria since Euphoria became open source. Just saying.

On the other hand, it'd certainly be money well earned and well deserved.

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

If a 'real need' was demonstrated, then the probability of me assisting in supporting the needed tool would be greatly increased. Of course, other factors would have to be considered in conjunction.

I'd take that as a no in that case, as demonstration of a 'real need' is not enough - other factors (like, amount of spare time and payment for services rendered) have to be considered in conjunction.

DerekParnell said...

'real need' =(approx) 'more than a few independant developers demanding Euphoria support for a specific platform'

I guess this is a moot point (since having a 'real need' is not enough by itself), but that definition is too vague to be useful. What's more than a few? How many more?

Or perhaps this is one of those cases where one says, "I can't give you a dictionary definition, but if I saw one, I'd recognize it on sight." ?

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

Huh? You lost me (again). I don't get the connections you are hinting at.

You spent a whole day ('all day') on it and still couldn't figure out why the DOS edition kept crashing... but claim to be able to maintain it.

141. Re: new DOS source

Re: a bootable euphoria, I did have a look at that. It's a lot of work, and for little return other than the pleasure of having done something that most people wouldn't try. A thin client euphoria is a cool concept. The implementation is, well, not for the faint at heart (and probably not for most people with a good heart either.)

bugmagnet

142. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
DerekParnell said...

I guess this is a moot point (since having a 'real need' is not enough by itself), but that definition is too vague to be useful. What's more than a few? How many more?

Or perhaps this is one of those cases where one says, "I can't give you a dictionary definition, but if I saw one, I'd recognize it on sight." ?

How long is a piece of string? Exactly twice the distance from one end to the center.

jimcbrown said...

You spent a whole day ('all day') on it and still couldn't figure out why the DOS edition kept crashing... but claim to be able to maintain it.

Whatever.

Hyperbole.

Not a DOS issue.

Meh.

143. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...
DerekParnell said...

How long is a piece of string? Exactly twice the distance from one end to the center.

I see three ways of interpreting that response.

1) You simply agree it's in the "recognize it on sight" case.

2) You think my question is nonsensical, or pointless.

3) You intend to keep the definition vague enough to be able to consistently deny the existence of a 'real need' regardless of circumstances.

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

Whatever.

Hyperbole.

Not a DOS issue.

Meh.

In retrospect, I could have worded that better. But if you make a claim to be able to maintain the DOS edition, then I believe it's a valid move to question your credentials and/or technical skills in relation to that claim. (Something like code samples or professional references would be enough to affirm that claim, imvho.)

At best, we know of a handful of people willing to but lacking the technical skills to maintain a DOS edition of Euphoria 4.x and one person who possesses the technical skill but lacks the will to do so.

DOS is still a lost cause - we don't have anyone willing and able to do it.

144. Re: new DOS source

Did you count the number of people who could and would, but won't because they have better things to do than get sucked into this sort of "discussion"?

useless

145. Re: new DOS source

useless_ said...

Did you count the number of people who could and would, but won't because they have better things to do than get sucked into this sort of "discussion"?

Wouldn't they already be included in the "not willing" population?

Matt

146. Re: new DOS source

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

Matt

Yes of course, but i was using a different definition of "not willing".

useless

147. Re: new DOS source

useless_ said...
mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

Matt

useless

That's fair. I was using a different definition of already.

Matt

148. Re: new DOS source

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...
mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

Matt

useless

That's fair. I was using a different definition of already.

Matt

Do you mean "a different definition of already" or "a different definition of "already""?

useless

149. Re: new DOS source

useless_ said...

Do you mean "a different definition of already" or "a different definition of "already""?

It depends on the meaning of "different."

Matt

150. Re: new DOS source

mattlewis said...
useless_ said...

It depends on the meaning of "different."

Matt

Ah, the difference tween "different." and ""different".". So many people don't see the distinction.

useless

151. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...

I see three ways of interpreting that response.

1) You simply agree it's in the "recognize it on sight" case.

2) You think my question is nonsensical, or pointless.

3) You intend to keep the definition vague enough to be able to consistently deny the existence of a 'real need' regardless of circumstances.

Well done. Take a bow.

jimcbrown said...

In retrospect, I could have worded that better. But if you make a claim to be able to maintain the DOS edition, then I believe it's a valid move to question your credentials and/or technical skills in relation to that claim. (Something like code samples or professional references would be enough to affirm that claim, imvho.)

I'm beginning to see what Kat sees in you.

I was almost ready to resume working on Euphoria again but maybe not so much now. Thanks Jim.

152. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
BRyan said...

I agree with this. However, technical difficulties prevent me from committing the fixes to the SVN repo at SF at this time.

I've managed to resolve those difficulties and uploaded the fixes.

However, I should point out that sourceforge.net has migrated the repositories that they host. http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/community-docs/Repository%20Upgrade%20FAQ/

Here is the new SVN URL:

https://svn.code.sf.net/p/rapideuphoria/code/dos/trunk/

153. Re: new DOS source

Okay, I've co'd the code. The readme says

Euphoria for DOS, ex.exe 

WATCOM 
====== 
  build ex.exe with: imake.bat 

In OpenWatcom's Readme file, it is written that OpenWatcom doesn't need the 
  LIB environment variable, that's why it is not set. That's true when 
  linking for Windows, but the LIB variable is necessary to link 
  files for DOS. 

The interactive trace, trace(1) should fully work. 

DJGPP 
===== 
  build ex.exe with: djgex.bat 

It will run at full speed. -DINT_CODES is not used. 
  You'll need the Allegro graphics library liballeg.zip from 
  our download page. It's the same file that's used with the Translator. 

The interactive trace code will crash. The trace source in 
  be_rterror.c was never ported to DJGPP. i.e. trace(1) 
  Some work will be required. 
The .bat files mentioned aren't in the download. Can you supply them?

Bugmagnet

154. Re: new DOS source

bugmagnet said...

Ignore the readme - it's out of date. Build using OpenWatcom by running configure.bat and wmake.

A build using DJGPP might also work, but I haven't tested this. If it still works, you should be able to do it by running ./configure inside a bash shell, and then running make.

155. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
bugmagnet said...

Ignore the readme - it's out of date. Build using OpenWatcom by running configure.bat and wmake.

A build using DJGPP might also work, but I haven't tested this. If it still works, you should be able to do it by running ./configure inside a bash shell, and then running make.

Also, you'll need some version of Euphoria 4.x installed to be able to generate the translated source code. I think BRyan was able to do this by using 4.0.5 to build the Windoze binaries from this branch, and then use the newly generated binaries to build the DOS ones. You can also try the binaries on kat's DesignerThinking website.

156. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...

You can also try the binaries on kat's DesignerThinking website.

The zip isn't publicly linked on my site, i had removed all the Euphoria references and pages when i became useless here. The url for the binaries is http://DesignerThinking.com/eu40-2434.zip

useless

157. Re: new DOS source

I have been able to build succesfuly by correcting the source files; 
SVN 2434, SVN 4515 and the DOS trunk source. 

The following files have changes, errors or are missing in the source: 

be_callc.c 
be_machine.c 
be_rev.c 
c_out.e 
makefile.wat 
make_be_callback.ex 
msgtext.e 

After using the corrected the above files. 

I wrote the following batch file called compile.bat 
Place compile.bat in the source directory. 
The file will automatically figure out 
where is located and run the Open Watcom compiler 
I am using Open Watcom compiler version 1.9 

_____________________ compile.bat contains __________________________ 

REM move down two directories from source. 
cd /d %0\..\.. 

REM set enviorment variable EU to the current directory. 
set EU=%CD% 

REM move back to the source directory. 
cd %EU%\source\ 

REM need to create be_callback.c if using source with make_be_callback.ex 
if not exist make_be_callback.ex goto skip 
if not exist be_callback.c %EU%\bin\eui.exe make_be_callback.ex 
:skip 

wmake -f makefile.wat clean 

wmake -f makefile.wat distclean 

call configure --eubin %EU%\bin --build %EU%\source\build 

wmake -f makefile.wat all 

IF not exist %EU%\source\build\bins mkdir %EU%\source\build\bins 

move /Y  %EU%\source\build\*.* %EU%\source\build\bins 

echo. 
echo COMPILE OPERATION COMPLETE ! 
echo. 
echo NEW BINS IN ....BUILD\BINS 
echo. 

pause 

set EU= 
___________________ End of the compile.bat _____________________ 

Bernie 

158. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
jimcbrown said...
bugmagnet said...

Also, you'll need some version of Euphoria 4.x installed to be able to generate the translated source code. I think BRyan was able to do this by using 4.0.5 to build the Windoze binaries from this branch, and then use the newly generated binaries to build the DOS ones. You can also try the binaries on kat's DesignerThinking website.

Getting closer

Open Watcom Make Version 1.9 
Portions Copyright (c) 1988-2002 Sybase, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 
Source code is available under the Sybase Open Watcom Public License. 
See http://www.openwatcom.org/ for details. 
------- ALL ----------- 
	wmake -h winall DEBUG= MANAGED_MEM=1 CONFIG=config.wat 
------- WINALL ----------- 
wmake -h interpreter DEBUG= MANAGED_MEM=1 CONFIG=config.wat 
wmake -h C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\intobj\main-.c EX=c:\Euphoria\bin\eui.exe EU_TARGET=int. OBJDIR=intobj DEBUG= MANAGED_MEM=1 CONFIG=config.wat DEBUG= MANAGED_MEM=1 
del /Q C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\intobj\back\*.* 
del /Q C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\intobj\*.* 
cd  C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\intobj 
c:\Euphoria\bin\eui.exe -i C:\eu4dos\trunk\include -d DOSFAMILY C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\ec.ex   -d DOSFAMILY -nobuild -wat -plat WIN -d DOSFAMILY -D EU_MANAGED_MEM  -i C:\eu4dos\trunk\include C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\int.ex 
option '-EUDIR': Unrecognised 

euc.exe [options] file.ex... 
 common options: 
   [-batch]       Turn on batch processing (do not "Press Enter" on error) 
   [-c filename]  Specify a configuration file 
   [-copyright]   Display all copyright notices 
   [-d word]      Define a preprocessor word 
   [-i dir]       Add a directory to be searched for include files 
   [-l local]     Defines a localization qualifier 
   [-ldb localdb] Defines the base name for localization databases 
   [-p file_ext:command]Setup a pre-processor 
   [-pf]          Force pre-processing regardless of cache state 
   [-strict]      Enable all warnings 
   [-test]        Test syntax only, do not execute. Implies batch mode. 
   [-version]     Display the version number 
   [-w name]      Defines warning level 
   [-wf filename] Write all warnings to the given file instead of STDOUT 
   [-x name]      Defines warning level by exclusion 

translator options: 
   [-silent]          Do not display status messages 
   [-wat]             Set the compiler to Watcom 
   [-djg]             Set the compiler to DJGPP 
   [-gcc]             Set the compiler to GCC 
   [-com dir]         Set the compiler directory 
   [-con]             Create a console application 
   [-dll]             Create a shared library 
   [-so]              Create a shared library 
   [-plat platform]   Set the platform for the translated code 
   [-lib filename]    Use a non-standard library 
   [-fastfp]          Enable hardware FPU (DOS option only) 
   [-stack size]      Set the stack size (Watcom) 
   [-debug]           Enable debug mode for generated code 
   [-maxsize size]    Set the number of C statements per generated file before splitting. 
   [-keep]            Keep the generated files 
   [-makefile]        Generate a project Makefile 
   [-makefile-full]   Generate a full project Makefile 
   [-cmakefile]       Generate a project CMake file 
   [-emake]           Generate a emake/emake.bat file to build project 
   [-nobuild]         Do not build the project nor write a build file 
   [-builddir dir]    Generate/compile all files in 'builddir' 
   [-o filename]      Set the output filename 
Error(E42): Last command making (C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\intobj\main-.c) returned a bad status 
Error(E42): Last command making (all) returned a bad status 
Bugmagnet

159. Re: new DOS source

bugmagnet said...

Getting closer

c:\Euphoria\bin\eui.exe -i C:\eu4dos\trunk\include -d DOSFAMILY C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\ec.ex   -d DOSFAMILY -nobuild -wat -plat WIN -d DOSFAMILY -D EU_MANAGED_MEM  -i C:\eu4dos\trunk\include C:\eu4dos\trunk\source\int.ex 

ec.ex must be finding a eu.cfg file somewhere and getting the EUDIR option from it. Try removing the eu.cfg file and setting the environment variable EUDIR manually.

160. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...
bugmagnet said...

Getting closer

ec.ex must be finding a eu.cfg file somewhere and getting the EUDIR option from it. Try removing the eu.cfg file and setting the environment variable EUDIR manually.

Please have a look at DOS compile in pastey. Huge list of missing symbols.

Bugmagnet

161. Re: new DOS source

bugmagnet said...

Something seems to be wrong with your Watcom setup, as you seem to be missing essential libraries.

Warning! W1008: cannot open clib3r.lib : No such file or directory               
Warning! W1008: cannot open graph.lib : No such file or directory                
Warning! W1008: cannot open emu387.lib : No such file or directory               

162. Re: new DOS source

bugmagnet said...

What is your LIB= environment symbol set to. It should be set to the Watcom lib386 directory. For example ...

LIB=C:\WATCOM\lib386 

163. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...

What is your LIB= environment symbol set to. It should be set to the Watcom lib386 directory. For example ...

Ah, yes, well, there's the problem then. My LIB has an leftover artefact from the last time I fiddled with HLA

lib=;C:\hla\hlalib 
Shall fix and get back to you.

Bugmagnet

164. Re: new DOS source

DerekParnell said...

Okay, using

lib=C:\Euphoria\watcom\LIB386;C:\Euphoria\watcom\LIB386\NT 
I've put the result in pastey

It's still not building completely.

Bugmagnet

165. Re: new DOS source

bugmagnet said...
DerekParnell said...

Okay, using

lib=C:\Euphoria\watcom\LIB386;C:\Euphoria\watcom\LIB386\NT 
I've put the result in pastey

It's still not building completely.

Bugmagnet

Hmm. You may need to tweak it a little so it finds all libraries, e.g. C:\Euphoria\watcom\LIB386\DOS http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/16979.wc

166. Re: new DOS source

jimcbrown said...

Hmm. You may need to tweak it a little so it finds all libraries, e.g. C:\Euphoria\watcom\LIB386\DOS http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/16979.wc

Twould seem to be the case that I need more than the Watcom that comes with OpenEuphoria 4.0.x. Am in the process of downloading the OpenWatcom C compiler for DOS. Is that going to do the trick?

Bugmagnet

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu